• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I was playing with my dog the other day and although it is generally very well behaved, it started to play bite. I won't tolerate that, especially because we have young grandsons who visit. I tried correcting the dog by giving a verbal command. I noticed that the dog was wagging it's tail the whole time. My wife said that our dog doesn't respond to strong verbal commands because we hardly ever do that. We almost always give positive reinforcement. Our dog is pretty spoiled, but has it's limits. It isn't allowed on the furniture or in bed. We don't get on the floor and play with her. We try to keep it in it's place. I have always thought if I have to use corporal punishment on my dog that I have failed it. What say you? Do you hit or swat your dog on occasion when it does something you consider very bad?

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    NEVER abuse your dog. That being said, occasionally I have tapped the dog's nose pretty sharply when she did something wrong. Make sure you do it immediately after the offending action so the dog can connect the two.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    We've had our Airedale on a remote training collar since 8 months old. What we can't correct with one verbal command, we correct with our designated "you're not listening to me" correction word which is "aught" and then one short buzz w/ the training collar.

We've never resorted to hitting our dog, nor would we unless someone else's safety (my child) was at stake and it HAD to be done to protect the child.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I would invest in a shock collar. Pet Safe products are the best, I have their invisible fence. Get the collar where you can change the level of the shock. It works. My dog behaves perfectly since using it. There is nothing wrong with smacking your dog on the butt, just becareful 'cause the kidneys are back there somewhere. A small tap on the nose works too.
    Also, the trainer of the obedience class I went to said that if you grab their lower jaw, your thumb in the mouth, under the tongue, fingers on the outside, bottom of lower jaw, and force him on the ground that way, it shows dominance.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I trained our dog to obey a "stop" word. I rough play with him all the time and to an outsider, it wold look like I am being attacked(lips back, teeth exposed but with a wagging tail) he has torn up a few sweatshirts doing this. Once I say a specific word, he stops and sits by my leg, it also works when someone comes to the door. If I don't say it..well, don't come in the door. He is half golden and half chow. He is also the smartest dog I have ever owned which is why I was able to teach him this( I am no dog trainer!!)
    I have to agree with soccerfreak, never hit your dog and never call your dog by name and then scold them, they will quit coming when called(learned this with another dog) Also don't believe the saying"you can't teach an old dog new tricks" they can always learn if we have the patience.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I have never hit any of my dogs. I have in my life had two dogs that did not respond to normal discipline when it came to biting, play or otherwise. The solution has worked both times 100%. I believe it will only work on a immature dog and not an adult. Here is what I do, I bite the dog on snout, not hard enough to really hurt but enough to get the message across. Right after the dog commits the offense. I have done this with two dogs and had to do it only once for it to take effect. Sounds odd but it works.

I don't know if this also plays a part or not but when training a puppy I do a couple of other things for bonding and discipline.

1. With a puppy I give them treats by holding the treat with my teeth and let the puppy remove the treat themselves.

2. I teach the dog to always sit and wait in front of food before I give the command and let the dog eat.

Call me crazy but all this helps to cement a bond between dog and owner and has worked for years for me.

If you are dealing with an adult dog my advice may be of little value.

Last edited:

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Just pull your hand away, turn your back to the dog and walk away. Do this every time without exception, it'll stop.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I hit my dog once....She tried to bite my husband during an argument we were having. Other than that....I never raise my hand to our dogs. Good luck.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    You must become the alpha dog!!

I play very rough with my dog and there are times it goes to far what they don't understand is you do NOT have the tough skin that they do. While to them it is still play to you it hurts.

My pup is pretty smart if I say NO she will stop and sit there and look at me like "Why we were having fun?"

She also responds to "OUCH!!" she will stop immediately and sit in front of me with her ears down and her tail down because she knows she went to far.

At a very young age you have to establish yourself as the Alpha dog!!

When she was just a tiny puppy if we were playing and she hurt me I would roll her on her back and pin her there and tell her NO!

Worked for 3 dogs I have had it might work for you.

Remember dogs are pack animals somebody has to be in charge.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Actually I can get my dogs to sit in the corner....
    biggrin.gif

Pics or it didn't happen...

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Actually I can get my dogs to sit in the corner.... :D
    I tell mine Room, and she goes and lays in the corner of the laundry room, about 30 mins later she will poke her head out the door and wait for me to say" All right can you be good?" then she runs over gives me kisses and lays down next to me on the couch.:)

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    if your going to strike your dog

Do not swat at your dog with your hand if your going to strike your dog use an object such as a rolled news paper or a switch, this way the dog isn't afraid at quick hand movements towards its face and body as well as you. He will see the object not you as the direct physical form of punishment.

:twocents:InDyK

apovinelli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Indy
    If the dog is young enough, you can give it a tap and it will feel bad for what it did. If it is older, they wont feel bad because of a tap if they are older, they will want to play. thats my opinion but im not a dog trainer, i just have 2 dogs that dont bite me.

Top Bottom