• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    My first post. These two handguns are on my short list . I am a leftie and kinda like the SA or Striker fired in semi autos. Glocks are ok, not a fan of the grip. I have an m&p and like it, but feel that the ambi ergonomics of these two guns are superior. Any likes or dislikes of these handguns (particularly from a southpaw) is greatly appreciated.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    WARNING THIS IS A LONG RESPONSE....

WARNING THIS IS A LONG RESPONSE....

I would recommend getting the HK over the Walther (#cough Smith and Wesson). If you are paying for a German engineered gun, it would be nice to see that the gun is made by that said German Company. When a Walther has a Smith and Wesson Stamp on it i turn my head and run. lol. I know that parts for both are made in the US too, but the HK parts are still made in HK factories here.

Besides my negative feelings towards S&W (minus their revolvers and perhaps their M&P series), you might enjoy that gun better since it is a striker fired handgun that you seem to like. I really don't mind shooting striker fired guns, I just don't spend money on them when I really like hammered handguns. But that is a personal opinion. The PPQ and P30 both have great feeling grips. A slight edge to the P30 since it can be completely customized. The PPQ is a true "cheap" Smith and Wesson, sorry I mean Walther, copy of the P30 grips... not really cheap at all, just not as well designed with customization, but it still is better designed than most grips. Both have ambi mag and slide releases, and both have light rails and 15 round mags. I will also say that the HK "HE" finish is probably the best factory standard finish ever produced.

images

images

I have done a lot of trigger time with HK handguns and have a lot more I can say about them compared to the PPQ.

Me being a DA/SA or SAO kind of guy, I will say that you should get the P30. But I would really recommend the one with a short slide release lever. The short levers are what I switched to for my P30 to fix the problems that were occuring if I would have my thumbs riding high on the gun... the longer standard levers will cause the slide to not lock back after the last round, because you are slightly pushing down on the lever with your thumb. The way to fix this is to buy spare slide release levers (you would only really need to buy the left side, but you could buy both too ) for the HK45c, P30S, or P2000 models (they work with the standard P30 also). They are about 20-30 bucks for each side. [heck if i can find my extra one I will give you a free short right side slide release] So with the shortened slide levers that problem is fixed. but they are still extremely easy to reach. Obviously test and see if the long slide release is causing those problems first before you buy the other slide releases. Because not everyone has this problem

Standard HK p30 (With long Slide release)...

images

NEW HK p30s (With "short" slide release)...

images

As you can see the difference is very easy to see. You might find some regular model P30's or P30L's (ones with or without safeties) with the short slide release also. The only downfall to the HK ambi slide release is that the right side "wiggles". That is because it is not placed IN the frame (like the walther [S&W]), once you pull the left side out you can lift the right side lever up 45 degrees and pull it out to clean, or replace with a lever design that you would rather have. One note to make is that the "wiggle" does not hurt the functioning of the action at all! The PPQ may also have the "last round lockup problems" too due to the long slide release, I just haven't shot it enough to really notice the problem.

Now when you said P30 v3s.... did you mean the P30S???? if so, then the whole change lever statement is pointless for you, but still something that is good to know.

I am a huge fan of German (and Swiss) Engineering. Love to shoot OLDER MODEL Walthers, Sigs, and HKs. The original P30s were the worst SA/DA triggers on an HK I have shoot (minus the DA pull of the VP70, lol). I got rid of my P30 because of all the play before the actual breaking point in the SA, the DA was actually really nice and smooth.... My HK45c, P2000sk, USP45 Tactical, and P7 all have amazing triggers and every time I shot the P30 after I shot those my finger was fatigued for all the extra (weightless) pulling and play required (not really, but you get the idea). The Safety model P30s that I have played with at gun stores have a much better trigger compared to the original P30s. If you want a safety on a 9mm/40cal HK that is completely ambi, then the P30S is what you want, in 45acp... the HK45c. If you want a LEM or DA/SA model with no safety in 9mm/40cal that is completely ambi then the P2000 or P2000sk models are better in regards to trigger pull, slide releases, and cheaper priced.... in 45acp.... HK45c. But, you will lose the glove like grip..... But the P2000/HK45c grips are still better than most guns, just not as nice as the PPQ and P30.

P2000
    images

P2000sk
    images

HK45c
    images

I will say older walthers and all HKs I have shot had/have amazing accuracy and reliability, so for those reasons they are probably equal. The new one (PPQ) might too, I just cant say for sure, I never shot it enough to make that call.

One last thing to note, I have/had HKs, Sigs, 1911s, and FN handguns. The ones that I have always kept loaded for HD are my HKs..... and the ones I always have on me at all times are my HKs.... I know the other companies have great reliability and accuracy, I just never felt as confident with them compared to my HKs. I know they cost more and many people against HK will say that they are only 10% better for 50% more cost.... but I think that they give you that needed confidence and trust that they will never fail you. And a gun that will guarantee my safety 100% of the time is worth the extra money.

Did you enjoy reading my book??? LOL. If you have more questions about HKs let me know. I can give you more detail about them. Even more PROS and CONS of the P30.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    JWAS, thanks for the info :yesway: Most of my autos are 1911 so I was leaning towards the p30s (sorry If I miss ID it) there seems to be a lot of different. Trigger styles in the P30 :rolleyes: This is a replacement for my night stand gun a G19 RTF, my next contender is a M&P 9MM pro I like it BUT not love it or feel able to relay on it. My current is my carry gun EMP 9MM which I have great faith in,but it lacks the capacity and a rail.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    Nice write up.

Although some HK's are now made here (HK45, HK45c, MR556 & MR762 and very soon to be P2000) The P30 is 100% German including all parts. All US made HK's are of the same quality though.

There are easy fixes for the right side slide lever release if it bothers you (it did me)

And as a southpaw myself I first tried the LEM due to not likeing to have to move my thumb over the hammer for the de-cock button on the V3. Now all my HK's are LEM.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    Yeah, I am thinking about selling my P2000sk and getting a LEM version. Plus buying a LEM kit for my HK45c.... Love LEM, just could never find one.... Now I am ready to get what I want. :)

For HD and range I would go with the P30S or even the P30LS (long slide safety) version of the P30. That way you will have the Safety you are used to like the 1911, but in SA/DA. I loved my P30 and it was my HD gun for a while, but then for range time and HD guns changed to my 45s and my carry is a P2000sk or my P7, the P30 never was used anymore. :(
    HKs are going to be like your EMP, scary accurate. (You will have to get used to the trigger.... its a great trigger..... for a polymer gun. Your 1911 will still be a better trigger.) Hell, when I teach people how to shoot, I tell them all the safety stuff, then how to hold the gun, and trigger pull... yada yada, then they shoot their full size XDs or Glocks and do "OK" with the rounds all in the 5 or 6 ring. Then I give them my smaller P2000sk and they are hitting in the 7-8 ring.... The guns they have are accurate and great guns too, and with training I could do great things with them...
    But, I like guns that are more accurate than I am, cause when SHTF, my accuracy will more than likely drop by 40-70%, so the gun needs to pick up my slack. LOL
    Hmmm.... yeah i knew the HK45 series and new rifles were from here, but at least from the same company. :)
    Anyway.... Back to the original question. I would see if you know someone near you (im in clarksville) who has a SA/DA hk and then someone with a LEM HK so you can shoot the guns to see how it handles for you. Or a range that rents them. The only worse thing I hate is to see a HK floating around for dirt cheap because someone fell in love with one aspect of it, but then didnt like how it shot. Well i hate it cause it tempts me to buy it when I dont need it. LOL.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Anyway.... Back to the original question. I would see if you know someone near you (im in clarksville) who has a SA/DA hk and then someone with a LEM HK so you can shoot the guns to see how it handles for you. Or a range that rents them. The only worse thing I hate is to see a HK floating around for dirt cheap because someone fell in love with one aspect of it, but then didnt like how it shot. Well i hate it cause it tempts me to buy it when I dont need it. LOL.

That's me. I liked every aspect of the P30, but couldn't shoot it as well as my glocks.

Soft shooter, that one. I think renting or shooting both is good advice.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    JWAS, Thanks for the info, I'm going to check for some at Indy this weekend, My brother lives up near Mishawaka and I thought about going there to check some out and shoot one or two at Midway.

Top Bottom