• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I am looking at building .308 rifle, something along the lines of an HK 91 or Springfield M1A. Unfortunately a clone and not an HK, real HK's are out of my price range at this time. I am considering purchase of either the PTR-01 or a Vector to use as the base for the build. Has anyone had any experience with either of these platforms.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I had an HK 91 for a while several years ago.

The felt recoil, to me anyway, was harder than any other .308 semi-auto I've owned or fired, military style or not. That includes the FN-FAL, M1A, .308 Garand, AR10, Winchester 100, Browning BAR, and Remington 742.

It had the worst trigger of all of those too. In fact, it was worse than any trigger I've used except for maybe an AK or two, and some AKs are better. I sent the trigger group from mine to Williams Trigger Specialties in IL for a set trigger conversion. They helped it, in both set and unset modes, but in unset it was still no prize. Using it as a set trigger was kind of a nusiance.

It always worked, it shot OK groups I guess. It flung brass a mile.

I got the chance to swap it for a Steyr SSG with Hendsoldt scope and some other goodies and jumped on it.

I still have an FAL, AR10, M1A, a couple of .308 Garands and some other .308s. I don't miss the HK91.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I agree with Barry. I have a ptr-91 and felt recoil is a nightmare. It is loud(even with hearing protection), the sites suck, and not really enjoyable to shoot. It really is just one of those rifles that I just wanted to have for my collection.

AR-10's are really coming down in price. If you watch you can find some deals at armalite. I got a NM 20" upper for $550 a couple of months ago.

M1A is an awesome but expensive weapon. Fun to shoot, fairly accurate, and are becoming a VERY customizable weapon.

As always the best advice is to try to get out and shoot them next to eachother. This difference is a safe queen and you favorite shooter. Long live the .308!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have shot an HK G3 while I was stationed in europe. Felt recoil was a little heavy but not bad. And after being taught how to use the sights no real complaints with them, I ahd the advantage of being instructed by weapons sgt from the german army. I have carried an M14 in several of the military configurations. I did not like my experience with the fals I have had to use. Just did not feel right no real complaints with the weapon just didn't like them.

I refuse to use an AK. I hate the sound of them. lol

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I really want to shoot a FAL! I also want to build a AR-10, i heard a company is making an ar10 lower receiver that uses the FAL magazine

Top Bottom