• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    So, I installed my HK VP9 ultra match trigger springs yesterday. I have always been a little disappointed in my particular VP9s trigger. I have felt others that are definitely better, so I am not saying that ALL of them are bad, just that there is some definite factory variance. Mine is just a little stiff, but mostly it's very gravelly. I planned on this handgun being used for target only after the mod. I think it's a pretty good weight for carry as is.

Installation was easy enough, mind you I have no real gun smithing experience, so those of you who do would call it a breeze. After installation of the sear spring and the trigger spring I was pretty pleased with a nicely reduced trigger pull. BUT, oh man it was dissappointing, my pistol is so gravelly that it just didn't want to reset. You had to nearly completely lift your finger off of the trigger to get it to reset. Even with that, I could feel it going through it's normal gravelly and grinding reset.

I feel like this spring set would be great, if you had also completely cleaned up your trigger and action or if you were a smith and using these in conjunction with an overall polish/cleanup. Might still be good if your gun came smooth from the factory or you have broken it in thoroughly. I have put about 500 rounds through mine and dry fired it at least twice that many times with no real improvement. Will probably send it to a custom shop to get what I want.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Mine isn't too bad. It's better than most VP9 triggers I've felt but it's not anything like my PPQ trigger. I DO NOT want a lighter trigger on this gun. I think my PPQ is to light for carry as is.

There are a few people saying the same thing over on the HK forum. It sounds like we should do a few thousand dry fires until the trigger parts "polish in".

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Mine isn't too bad. It's better than most VP9 triggers I've felt but it's not anything like my PPQ trigger. I DO NOT want a lighter trigger on this gun. I think my PPQ is to light for carry as is.

There are a few people saying the same thing over on the HK forum. It sounds like we should do a few thousand dry fires until the trigger parts "polish in".

Same comparison here. I guess we got exceptionally good PPQ triggers and exceptionally bad VP9 triggers. Problem for me is that I ended up bending my factory spring a little, the coil got distorted, and now I have a new one on order.

I agree with you on not wanting the triggger to be litghter for carry. I am trying to setup 2 pistols for competition. I hope to start checking out matches in the next year, as my schedule may more readily allow it than in the past. I have a CZ SP01 Phantom that has been "cajunized" and then I want to get this VP9 ready too. I would not use the shadow for HD either, it's way too light. Instead I have my HK 45 for HD and my PPQ or Glock 30s for carry.

I have dry fired that VP9 so much on occasion that my hands are sore. Ugh.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    Same comparison here. I guess we got exceptionally good PPQ triggers and exceptionally bad VP9 triggers. Problem for me is that I ended up bending my factory spring a little, the coil got distorted, and now I have a new one on order.

I agree with you on not wanting the triggger to be litghter for carry. I am trying to setup 2 pistols for competition. I hope to start checking out matches in the next year, as my schedule may more readily allow it than in the past. I have a CZ SP01 Phantom that has been "cajunized" and then I want to get this VP9 ready too. I would not use the shadow for HD either, it's way too light. Instead I have my HK 45 for HD and my PPQ or Glock 30s for carry.

I have dry fired that VP9 so much on occasion that my hands are sore. Ugh.

If you are still looking for a better trigger for the VP9, Larry Vickers has some amazing things to say about what Gray Guns has done to his VP9. LV said something along the lines that the VP9 with the GG trigger job (i think around $300) is comparable to the Sig P210 in regards to how amazing accurate it is while still keeping the same reliability.

http://grayguns.com/larry-vickers-on-hk-grayguns-action-work/

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    If you are still looking for a better trigger for the VP9, Larry Vickers has some amazing things to say about what Gray Guns has done to his VP9. LV said something along the lines that the VP9 with the GG trigger job (i think around $300) is comparable to the Sig P210 in regards to how amazing accurate it is while still keeping the same reliability.

Larry Vickers on HK Grayguns Action Work - Grayguns by Bruce Gray

I had been looking at that. That may be the way I end up going, but I have never shipped a handgun and was leary of that. I was also considering Bill Springfield for what seems like quite a bit less money. I think the VP9 is an awesome handgun, mine just needs a little trigger help.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    The VP9 has a nice enough trigger out of the box for it's price point. Sinking another $300 in it for just trigger work doesn't make sense for me. Maybe at $125 would be more tempting. That's just me though. To each his own

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    The VP9 has a nice enough trigger out of the box for it's price point. Sinking another $300 in it for just trigger work doesn't make sense for me. Maybe at $125 would be more tempting. That's just me though. To each his own

:+1:

Agreed. I like the trigger on my VP9 however, so I am a bit biased. I paid about $700 for my gun to begin with (LE version). A $300 trigger modification is about 43% of the price of the entire gun! I am sure for competition, it might be worth it for some.

James

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Totally agree, but at this point I've got nine mags, 4 with Taylor freelance +5 on them, Trijicon HD sights because I don't like the factory mepros, custom kydex. The trigger is the only thing that isn't awesome about this handgun. If it were just a little lighter and smoother it would be perfect. Hell I'd settle for a half pound lighter and smooth. It's just as if the more you spend, the more you are committed.

I am leaning toward Bill Springfield, for less money or just dry fire it a few thousand more times.

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I'd save that 300, buy ammo with it, and break it in the good ol' fashion way. Wait for the long slide variant to come out to create a dedicated comp gun. I don't think it will be long till we see those with the way the VP9 is selling. Just my opinion.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I've heard nothing but positives about Grayguns' work. The only negative is the turnaround time but if you are that good people are willing to wait. Your gun, your money, only you can answer how you want to spend it. Good luck with your decision, the VP9 is a fine weapon.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Update on this..... I got a replacement factory trigger return spring and now have re-assembled my VP9. I read this elsewhere, which gave me the idea, but I used the aftermarket "sear spring or catch spring" and the factory trigger return spring. Definite improvement. With this configuration, it's trigger is a lot better than my PPQ. It feels smoother and cleaner than it did before and the reset is decent. I didn't really care if it got much lighter, I just wanted it smoother, so mission accomplished. Now I'll just put a ton of ammo through it!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'd like to feel this modification sometime if you don't mind. Where do you go shoot? I'm on the NE side of Indy.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I'd like to feel this modification sometime if you don't mind. Where do you go shoot? I'm on the NE side of Indy.

I am good with that. I'll let you know next time I shoot. Point Blank, Highsmith, and although I haven't shot there yet, now I am a member at Atlanta.

Top Bottom