• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Anyone have first hand experience? DA/SA or that funky trigger mod? Worth the initial cost + cost of feeding? Accuracy?

Everywhere I look, people are citing these as one of the best, if not THE best, .45ACP option in a sidearm.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I have two HK45's, both I have converted to the funky trigger variant. I have had many .45's through years, and imo they are indeed the best.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/148547-review_hk45_vs_fnp_45_a.html

Thanks for the link. Can you briefly explain the HK double action only job they do, and if you kept your safety/decocker, and the resulting trigger pull (some comparison? poundage?) of the modified gun?

From what I understand, you can just send it in to HK and get it modded, and they give you the old parts and you can switch it back as necessary? Right? Thanks!

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    I converted both myself. It can be done in about a half an hour. It is called a LEM trigger and is not a traditional double action trigger. It is more like a 2 stage trigger. I have never seen one, but some say the Para LDA trigger is similar. trigger break can be anywhere from around 4.5 to 8.5 lbs depending on which springs you use. One of mine I put a right side (LH) safety only no de-cock only because I use it sometimes as a nightstand gun and around the house not in a holster. All my other LEM HK's (HK45c,P30,p2000SK,USPc) I have no safeties on.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I converted both myself. It can be done in about a half an hour. It is called a LEM trigger and is not a traditional double action trigger. It is more like a 2 stage trigger. I have never seen one, but some say the Para LDA trigger is similar. trigger break can be anywhere from around 4.5 to 8.5 lbs depending on which springs you use. One of mine I put a right side (LH) safety only no de-cock only because I use it sometimes as a nightstand gun and around the house not in a holster. All my other LEM HK's (HK45c,P30,p2000SK,USPc) I have no safeties on.

Otherwise, you cock the hammer yourself or suffer the dreaded 12lb pull of DA/SA. Hmm, so that LEM mechanism, it holds the hammer closer to engagement, and just catches it at that position faster than you can pull the trigger again? Maybe I need to do some more reading, but I didn't really understand it.

With the lever-less model that you have, there is no safety at all?

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    Correct. You can have a LEM with or without a safety.( on HK45,HK45c,USP,USPc. not P30 or 2000 & sk)

Try this.

[ame="http://www.google.com/search?sitesearch=hkpro.com%2Fforum&q=lem&domains=hkpro.com%2Fforum&submit.x=10&submit.y=2#q=lem+site:hkpro.com/forum&hl=en&domains=hkpro.com/forum&prmd=imvnsb&ei=OivETrLVFYXE0QG82ZSRDw&start=0&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=830cefb1c2c8d4c0&biw=1290&bih=663"]http://www.google.com/search?sitesearch=hkpro.com%2Fforum&q=lem&domains=hkpro.com%2Fforum&submit.x=10&submit.y=2#q=lem+site:hkpro.com/forum&hl=en&domains=hkpro.com/forum&prmd=imvnsb&ei=OivETrLVFYXE0QG82ZSRDw&start=0&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=830cefb1c2c8d4c0&biw=1290&bih=663[/ame]

Last edited:

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Have two. Both the standard decocker function. One is the Expert model with longer barrel. Very accurate, easy to shoot. The other is standard model and my Wife's favorite pistol. She can rack the slide without strain. One of the few auto loader pistols of any caliber she can manage. Not sure would consider the HK full size a convenient carry pistol. Some people call them ugly.

Some years ago had the chance to fire HK45 platform being considered as a SEAL sidearm. I was hooked. Pick what you like and works for your application.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Have two. Both the standard decocker function. One is the Expert model with longer barrel. Very accurate, easy to shoot. The other is standard model and my Wife's favorite pistol. She can rack the slide without strain. One of the few auto loader pistols of any caliber she can manage. Not sure would consider the HK full size a convenient carry pistol. Some people call them ugly.

Some years ago had the chance to fire HK45 platform being considered as a SEAL sidearm. I was hooked. Pick what you like and works for your application.

It's like the money just spends itself! Thanks for your info guys, keep em comin'! :D

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I love mine. I sought out a German model. Found one and have very little money in it.

I also love my P30L, my P2000sk......you get the idea.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The HK45 was a pistol I really wanted to like, i've rented one down here twice and both times I just wasn't that impressed. DA/SA trigger is average and accuracy really isn't better than anything else out there but I haven't shot one with the LEM trigger.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    Maybe this will help with your decision.

2wox9c4.jpg

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Well, I handled one of these today and i have to say, the ergonomics were the most comfortable I think I've felt yet.

LEM trigger for the 2lb takeup and 5lb pull is better than sa/da then? If I get one stock, they can mod it for me if i send it in, and i get the parts if i ever want to go back to sa/da?

Ridiculous in my hand.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    Well, I handled one of these today and i have to say, the ergonomics were the most comfortable I think I've felt yet.

LEM trigger for the 2lb takeup and 5lb pull is better than sa/da then? If I get one stock, they can mod it for me if i send it in, and i get the parts if i ever want to go back to sa/da?

Ridiculous in my hand.

It is all personal preference if you like DA/SA or LEM. I love the LEM and some don't. You could shoot one of mine to see if you like the LEM.

You could convert it yourself (It is that easy) or I could do it. You just need the LEM kit and if you want a safety & no de-cocker then you need a 5-6 detent plate.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    The bore axis on the HK45 is a bit higher than previous HK offerings in that caliber.

For me, felt recoil is greater in the HK45 than in the USP 45. With the amount of stuff out there for the USP Vs. the slim pickings for the HK45, I would skip it altogether and go USP instead.

Just my opinion.

Top Bottom