• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Yesterday I was at a local gunshop near Marion and I seen a HK91. Well it was a US milled receiver and a HK parts kit.

I know there is a cult fallowing for the G3 style rifles but what am I getting myself into if I buy this rifle?

Pros and Cons please.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Yesterday I was at a local gunshop near Marion and I seen a HK91. Well it was a US milled receiver and a HK parts kit.

I know there is a cult fallowing for the G3 style rifles but what am I getting myself into if I buy this rifle?

Pros and Cons please.
    Milled receiver? Did it have a rail on the top of the receiver? If so, it is a cast aluminum receiver made by DC Industries. Otherwise, the receivers are stamped (as original). The aluminum receivers are not that great and kinda ugly. I had one years ago (Springfield SAR 8), it was real picky about the ammo I fed it. German ammo would stick in the flutted chamber. South African would feed fine. I traded it for a Garand. Side note. DC Industries is now NoDacSpud, the company who makes the BEST stamped AK receivers you can buy. How far they have come.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    It might also be a Hesse receiver. Hesse is junk. I was never very impressed with the Dc receivers either. Charge the rifle and make sure the bolt pulls back smoothly without hang ups. Check the bolt gap. I could explain it but it would be better if you googled or youtubed so you could actually see pics/video.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    More info would be helpful...the exact model on the gun for example. The DC Industries and Federal Arms guns just don't have the value of the stamped Springfields or even a CETME. At $350 to $400 it might be an ok deal but I would not want to get more money than that in one of the railed cast receiver guns. I would much prefer a CETME or if you want to spend the money, a PTR.

Some folks love the ergonomics of the design, some hate them. If possible I would recommend shooting one first. Personally I like the design and the control layout. If you are ever up in the Logansport area you would be welcome to shoot mine.

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    I'm going back in on Tuesday to look at it again. I will get more info then.

Yes I did pull back the charging handle and it was smooth from start to finish. Threw me off at first since I got used to pulling back my M1A and feeling the tension as the bolt unlocks.

I know it's a HK parts kit, but what other questions should I ask or things I look for.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Milled receiver? Did it have a rail on the top of the receiver? If so, it is a cast aluminum receiver made by DC Industries. Otherwise, the receivers are stamped (as original). The aluminum receivers are not that great and kinda ugly. I had one years ago (Springfield SAR 8), it was real picky about the ammo I fed it. German ammo would stick in the flutted chamber. South African would feed fine. I traded it for a Garand. Side note. DC Industries is now NoDacSpud, the company who makes the BEST stamped AK receivers you can buy. How far they have come.

I have a SPRINGFIELD ARMORY SAR 8 made in GREECE & it's a perfect copy of a H & K 91, it even takes a claw mount. I never had a jam of any kind:rockwoot:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I have a SPRINGFIELD ARMORY SAR 8 made in GREECE & it's a perfect copy of a H & K 91, it even takes a claw mount. I never had a jam of any kind:rockwoot:

Awww, you got the pre-aluminum models. I believe those were actually built on Hk machinery licensed to Greece. THAT is a nice gun...Hk in every way but the name. Almost worth as much too.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I'm going back in on Tuesday to look at it again. I will get more info then.

Yes I did pull back the charging handle and it was smooth from start to finish. Threw me off at first since I got used to pulling back my M1A and feeling the tension as the bolt unlocks.

I know it's a HK parts kit, but what other questions should I ask or things I look for.

Excessive wear one the charging handle tube, specifically the opening the handle rides in. Second is bolt gap, should be between .010 and .015. Third, make sure the hammer does not follow.

For anything else you really need to shoot the gun...

HarlanNDS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    DC Industries is now NoDacSpud, the company who makes the BEST stamped AK receivers you can buy. How far they have come.

Just for clarification, DC Industries and NoDak Spud are separate companies, and always have been. DC Industries was involved in AK receiver production from 2005 to approximately 2008. NoDak Spud is still making AK receivers, having begun such production in 2005.

DC Industries made FA91/SAR8 aluminum receivers under the specs provided by FAC Of America.

DC Industries is rather inactive at this time, having been supplanted by Coonan Inc.

Harlan
    NoDak Spud LLC

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I had a HK 91 once. A hard recoiling rifle with a horrible trigger that messed up the brass. It did not feel like a rifle in my hands. More clubby than riflely. I was glad when it was traded off.

I like all the other 308 caliber semi auto rifles. I will never buy another HK91.

That is my opinion.

Top Bottom