• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Was entering Hobby Lobby on the N. side and saw this sign in front. I can only suppose it's related to their employees and not customers but it made me think twice about going in. NO WAY would I let them search me.

1240248264.jpg

anyone had any experiences with carry there.

*remember that two of the DC Sniper victims were shot leaving a Michael's craft store, so don't tell me there's no need to carry when you're shopping for arts and crafts, okay...silk flowers.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I really like that store. and it's a christian-owned one at that.

If someone accuses me of stealing, I'll be happy to comply with a simple pat-down. I've been in retail and know how this stuff works. If you don't submit, cops are called, and you are searched anyway. My wife is a night-manager at a pharmacy and has had to do this more than just a few times. Thankfully, the PD is two blocks away, so I feel safer with her and another clerk there alone at night.

However, when it comes to my vehicle, I reserve the right to say "bite me." :)

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    That's what struck me as strange. Every store reserves the right to search you on the way out if they think you're stealing, but this store wants to search you on the way in just in case you may be concealing a copy of the Koran or a Yarlmulke somewhere.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    I really like that store. and it's a christian-owned one at that.

If someone accuses me of stealing, I'll be happy to comply with a simple pat-down. I've been in retail and know how this stuff works. If you don't submit, cops are called, and you are searched anyway. My wife is a night-manager at a pharmacy and has had to do this more than just a few times. Thankfully, the PD is two blocks away, so I feel safer with her and another clerk there alone at night.

After which you can and will own half of the store and possibly the local Police dept. it is a clear violation of your rights to be detained by store personel. I worked LP for many years for a large automotive retailer a fortune 500 company, it was very clear unless you are 100% positive you were not even supposed to confront the shopper(if the anti-theft at the door was sounded it was different). It is cheaper and less expensive to loss merchandise then it is to fight one law suit and all the bad press.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

I like the store as well but on the car search???????????

As Popeye would say "blow me down"

\/
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBmZiOdt8Y8]YouTube - Krazy K Music Video - Blow Me[/ame]

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Having worked in Loss Prevention before, we were NEVER allowed to touch customers unless we either SAW them pocket something or could prove via Videotape they had something.

I know if someone laid their hands upon me, that would cause me to feel VERY threatened. You would have something broken after everything was said and done.

They are stepping on their own junk if they keep this policy. I see a LOT of lawsuits coming.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You cannot give up your 4th Amendment rights simply by entering the store. Regardless of what the sign says, they do not have the right to search either your person or your vehicle. At BEST, they can take down your license plate and call the police.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    It's private property and they can do as they wish. Not even a rights violation. If you won't want to be "violated," don't shop there. Problem solved :).

I honestly think it's a red herring posting, just to scare people. Kind of like the FCC's way with TV and Radio. The printed policy is second to how they apply it. A local radio station I volunteer at is part of a "club" of sorts that tracks FCC fines and such. It is not at all uncommon for the FCC law to state one thing, and then fine someone for its opposite.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    Also, most big box store like Hobby Lobby are tenants. That is, they don't own the real estate on which their buildings sit. They also don't own the real estate that is the parking lot in front of the building. This is another reason why they have no authority to search your car. It's not on their property.

Scam1789

Long time Member mostly lurking.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2008
    Pittsboro
    You cannot give up your 4th Amendment rights simply by entering the store. Regardless of what the sign says, they do not have the right to search either your person or your vehicle. At BEST, they can take down your license plate and call the police.

Agreed it is just a sign. It is not above the law let alone the United States Constitution. I have never seen a sign that claimed so much, but I think anyone trying to search my vehicle would have the police called on them if they tried. I would guess the sign is a knee jerk reaction to some other problem the store is having. I have OC'd and CC'd there with no problems in the past.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It's private property and they can do as they wish. Not even a rights violation. If you won't want to be "violated," don't shop there. Problem solved :).

I honestly think it's a red herring posting, just to scare people. Kind of like the FCC's way with TV and Radio. The printed policy is second to how they apply it. A local radio station I volunteer at is part of a "club" of sorts that tracks FCC fines and such. It is not at all uncommon for the FCC law to state one thing, and then fine someone for its opposite.

Private property does not give them the right to violate the law. My person (and my car) is also private property.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    If they grab you, it's battery.

IC 35-42-2-1
    Battery
    Sec. 1. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally touches another person in a rude, insolent, or angry manner commits battery, a Class B misdemeanor.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    It's private property and they can do as they wish. Not even a rights violation. If you won't want to be "violated," don't shop there. Problem solved :)

does that mean if you were to come to one of my reloading seminars i could search your car without your permission because you parked in my driveway? unlawful search and seizure is a constitutional right which doesnt cover you ONLY on public property... its our F***ing constitution we are talking about here. just because they post a sign claiming to have the right to search doesnt mean that they actually have that right private property or not....

or could i steel from you if you were in my house? i mean, its private property after all

not trying to **** anyone off here, and the sign is probably just an empty threat because of something they had going on... maybe an employee they thought was steeling but couldnt prove it.... but this sign really sits heavy.

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    Was it in Bloomington or Indianapolis Best buy where a store "ninja" noticed a bulge under a CCW'ers shirt at the check out? He stopped the CCW'er and asked what was under his shirt. He then "tried" to grab the guys Glock when he was shown. Responding officers sided with the CCW'er.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Was it in Bloomington or Indianapolis Best buy where a store "ninja" noticed a bulge under a CCW'ers shirt at the check out? He stopped the CCW'er and asked what was under his shirt. He then "tried" to grab the guys Glock when he was shown. Responding officers sided with the CCW'er.

If you're made while CC'ing and they ask, just tell them it's your colostomy bag.

I'm trying to fathom why they'd make a grab for the gun. That's a good way to get laid out.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

Why was the security guard still alive to tell his side? Anyone but a cop grabbing for my gun has made a fatal error.

Top Bottom