• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I am only reloading 9mm and 45 auto and I am pretty new to it at that.

A month or two ago someone posted about having good luck with CFE. I don't remember who, or what they said about it specifically though. Currently, I have titegroup, but I would like to try a slower burning powder. All that I can find within a reasonable drive is CFE. It's new enough that my manuals don't list it, but I will just use Hodgdon's data if I buy it.

Most of the places that have powder in stock are far enough away from me that I am better off just paying the HAZMAT fee to have powder shipped when I consider in gas and time. I'd like to avoid that if CFE is a good replacement for a slower burning powder like AA-5, Unique, Power Pistol, etc. Anyone like or dislike CFE?

Thanks in advance

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    I used it for some 200gr 40 major loads when powder was hard to come by. Shot pretty soft for a slower powder. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    That may have been me that posted some chrono results of the CFE Pistol. I found it to be very good and worth buying more if I see it.

Here's a link to some of my results ....

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...e-pistol-powder-chrono-results-9mm-45acp.html

Thanks for the replies. I think it looks and sounds pretty good. Ill probably buy 8#. I cant see regretting having it around for a while. Between that and the TG, I should be fairly set... I think.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I loaded up some 155 grain 10mm loads with it up at maximum only three months ago, and I was getting decent velocities of ~1300-1350 fps with it.
    I'm unsure if the CFE (Copper Fouling Eliminator) chemistry really works as Hodgdon touts, but I had no problems whatsoever with it out of my gun, and it seemed very clean burning.
    The loading data seems to indicate that it has a medium slow burn rate somewhere between Unique and 2400 in terms of rate, with enough flexibility that you can load from more standard loads up to loads just a bit more energetic.
    It's generally a bad idea to use new powders due to lack of data, but Hodgdon took care of that nicely by providing some of their own.
    As time goes by, the others (Speer, Hornady, Lyman, Nosler, etc.) are bound to provide data of their own.
    I say go for it.

Last edited:

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    That may have been me that posted some chrono results of the CFE Pistol. I found it to be very good and worth buying more if I see it.

Here's a link to some of my results ....

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...e-pistol-powder-chrono-results-9mm-45acp.html

I do need to make it down to Shelbyville at some point.

So, with Titegroup I noticed that it seemed like the lower end loads seemed pretty anemic, less accurate, and more dirty than the loads just below maximum. Nearer max loads I got better accuracy, I liked the recoil characteristics better, and maybe it was just me but they did seem cleaner. Would I expect the same from CFE? I am loading to longer OAL 1.250 per Wilson, which will obviously reduce pressure vs 1.21, but from my results with TG I can't see ever starting anywhere lower than the dead center of the suggested load range. What I mean is that, if the suggested range stated 4.2-4.8, I wouldn't bother starting lower than 4.5.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've been using CFE Pistol for my 9mm Glocks and FNS. No complaints using the Hodgdon data.

+1 on Bobcat Steel's powder stock. Plus, they have primers, bullets, brass, etc.

Is this powder the solution for a universal powder to keep (lots of) on hand for .45ACP, 9mm and .357?

Anyone know how it compares to Clay's for a soft, clean shooting .45 power factor load for USPSA?

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I use it for 9mm & .45 acp. Bought a Lb., liked enough & use it enough I now have ~17 lbs total (8-lber & 9ish 1lbers).

I like it, no issues. My 550B powder measure is dead on with it, full or almost empty, doesn't change throughout the process.

Supposed to be great for keeping barrel cleaner (copper fouling).

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    picked up 5 1lb cans of CFE Pistol today from INGC, $20/lb+tax.

what's your 125gr 9mm pet load?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom