• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    I went to Gander Mountain this evening (I know, i know) and I noticed the Hodgdon 2014 annual reloading magazine and noticed that there was a picture of a new powder (at least new to me as i haven't heard of it until then) called CFE pistol, which says it is ideal for 9mm super 38, 40 S&W and 45 ACP. So nowI'm intrigued. Haven't read the article yet though

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Too bad we might not see it until 2015 until Johnny Huckle**** settles down with the panic buying. I'm still awaiting the people that bought reloading supplies, thinking "Hey, I'll make my own ammo, maybe sell some to my friends!" give up and list their stuff for sale.

As a side note: Why would I be overly concerned with copper fouling in a pistol? I can't fathom the need for a copper cleanser in an application where copper fouling is almost literally a non-issue for handguns? Still gotta clean 'em anyways, so why go with a 'meh' powder for an effect that can be handled with 10 minutes and some copper cleaning agent?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    A second side note: I used the rifle version of that powder when it was still available: Didn't do anything amazing, still had to clean copper residues and was HORRIFICALLY temp sensitive: mild charges in the early fall would become primer popping fun in the summer.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    I was lookimg more at it from a metering standpoint as I dont get ws good of comsistent metering with flake powder (i.e. Longshot)

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Good question: I never metered my rifle stuff, caveman'ed it with powder scoops and a good scale, taking my time and weighing every charge.

Pistol stuff: Gotcha, I use a cheapo Lee measure for my pistol stuff and love Longshot, hate how it and Unique meter.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    Good question: I never metered my rifle stuff, caveman'ed it with powder scoops and a good scale, taking my time and weighing every charge.

Pistol stuff: Gotcha, I use a cheapo Lee measure for my pistol stuff and love Longshot, hate how it and Unique meter.

the CFE 223 and H322 meter well for me. I prefer to run it that way and periodically weigh a charge. Always spot on. Now avarget, not so much. I have hS-6, but haven't tried it yet. I did just picked up the RCBS auto dispensor and it rocks, especially when working up a load and i use it primarily for my long range rifle as i want precision. Weighing by hand just sucks, not something i care for.

good to know that it is not me on with the longshot. I use the Hornady powder thrower. I get about .3-.4 variation. So I though it and weight it every-time. I guess that since I have the RcBS unit, i will use it now on.

Top Bottom