• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Hello,

Non hunter here - who may be able to hunting for either of the two critters "soon".

If I'm reading the regs correctly - no license of any kind is needed for the taking of wild hogs in Indiana while on private land...correct?

Now, however, since coyote are considered a furbearer, a license IS required - no matter what kind of land the critters are on...correct?

If that's the case, what type of hunting license? I see in the regs that the resident Small Game 5-day license doesn't have a fee attached to it, but the annual is $17. Would it be the Small Game license I'd need?

Now - let's pretend that I go out on my parent's acreage to hunt coyotes during deer season. I have ZERO interest in deer hunting. If I'm out on private land with my AR in order to pop a coyote - how hung up could I be if some CO got a bee in his bonnet about how I was equipped? What would my defense be that I wasn't hunting deer with the 556 AR?

Thank you.

And sorry for the ignorant post - as you can tell, I'm not a hunter. :)

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Hello,

Non hunter here - who may be able to hunting for either of the two critters "soon".

If I'm reading the regs correctly - no license of any kind is needed for the taking of wild hogs in Indiana while on private land...correct?

Now, however, since coyote are considered a furbearer, a license IS required - no matter what kind of land the critters are on...correct?

If that's the case, what type of hunting license? I see in the regs that the resident Small Game 5-day license doesn't have a fee attached to it, but the annual is $17. Would it be the Small Game license I'd need?

Now - let's pretend that I go out on my parent's acreage to hunt coyotes during deer season. I have ZERO interest in deer hunting. If I'm out on private land with my AR in order to pop a coyote - how hung up could I be if some CO got a bee in his bonnet about how I was equipped? What would my defense be that I wasn't hunting deer with the 556 AR?

Thank you.

And sorry for the ignorant post - as you can tell, I'm not a hunter. :)

Small game license is what you need.
    Written permission from the landowner lets you whack coyotes any time of year. Still need the license unless you are the landowner.
    As long as you aren't dragging out a deer with a.22 caliber hole in it, I think the CO would probably leave you alone.
    Remember the requirement for blaze orange after gun season for deer starts.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Small game license is what you need.
    Written permission from the landowner lets you whack coyotes any time of year. Still need the license unless you are the landowner.
    As long as you aren't dragging out a deer with a.22 caliber hole in it, I think the CO would probably leave you alone.
    Remember the requirement for blaze orange after gun season for deer starts.

Written permission - got it. I wonder if electronic communication would suffice? Or driving up to their door and asking?

Absolutely on the blaze orange. I'd probably wear it no matter what season it was...or wasn't. Because people are stupid. Except me, of course.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Written permission - got it. I wonder if electronic communication would suffice? Or driving up to their door and asking?

Absolutely on the blaze orange. I'd probably wear it no matter what season it was...or wasn't. Because people are stupid. Except me, of course.
    IIRC, the admin code says written permission. Never underestimate the DNR when it comes to common sense. I've seen criminal charges submitted on a guy (who had a fishing license) for catching a bass with his hands. The basis of the charge was that the admin code says you have to use a rod and reel.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    IIRC, the admin code says written permission. Never underestimate the DNR when it comes to common sense. I've seen criminal charges submitted on a guy (who had a fishing license) for catching a bass with his hands. The basis of the charge was that the admin code says you have to use a rod and reel.

I could only imagine what these geniuses might have done with a man I remember who hit a deer with his pickup truck and finished it off with a tire iron (and had the shredded coveralls bearing witness to the fight and the sharpness of deer hooves).

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    I could only imagine what these geniuses might have done with a man I remember who hit a deer with his pickup truck and finished it off with a tire iron (and had the shredded coveralls bearing witness to the fight and the sharpness of deer hooves).

He was coming right at me officer...

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A

That little piece of hand-written-signed paper could save a lot of headaches. Sign in blue ink and take a pic of it on your device.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    If you find a place to hog hunt on private property, I will let you use my .458 SOCOM and provide you with some ammo. Just take lots of photos! And yes, I am spreading the addiction! Once you pull the trigger on a 325 gr. Load in a AR platform, the smile on your face won't go away for days.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    If you find a place to hog hunt on private property, I will let you use my .458 SOCOM and provide you with some ammo. Just take lots of photos! And yes, I am spreading the addiction! Once you pull the trigger on a 325 gr. Load in a AR platform, the smile on your face won't go away for days.

So true. Also for a 450BM. Big bang from the thumper.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

I let my opportunity for this late summer squander away... But the folks I know still have the land; only now they're preparing for deer season and I don't think they're going to let anyone but themselves enjoy the land until deer season is over!

But their property is west of Seymore not too far.

The coyote land is in Montgomery Co.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom