• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fxdwing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Are hog firearm requirments different than deer ? or are they just general nuisance that i can shoot with anything?

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Actually Jack, I had talked to a guy at WalMart that told me they were having a serious hog problem over in Elkhart County so I called around a bit wondering about signs of hogs, best times and places to hunt, and people to contact. I guess they got really bad around Goshen. I head out there with my dogs and a handful of various rifles and handguns. Most of the hog activity was down around CR34 usually for about 9 days in late July. I was a bit shocked by what I saw but it didn't slow my hunt down any. I really had to pick a careful shot from the top row of the show arena. I did pretty good, maimed a few hogs and only 1 kid.

I'd go again, some of you guys are welcome if you'd be interested.

Elkhart has had a hog problem for a long time. Easiest way to flush them out is to put a sale on spandex they should not be wearing and start playing Gretchen Wilson.

LCP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    carmel in
    You bet, shot several hogs last April during the Dunes state park fly in.
    Think it was around the first week of April.
    Can only shoot Boars.
    Happy hunting.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    According to an article in the SMITHSONIAN magazine we have there are feral hogs in a couple ISOLATED spots in SOUTHEAST Indiana but no other part of the state.

They're here in Perry Co. too. Had 3 of them walk up on me while I was out at the compost pile. The creek bank between our place and the neighbors has a couple of wallows in it. A guy I used to work with has taken a couple (I saw the pics) from the area between Tennyson and Gentryville, and he knows another guy who has got several more.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    They're here in Perry Co. too. Had 3 of them walk up on me while I was out at the compost pile. The creek bank between our place and the neighbors has a couple of wallows in it. A guy I used to work with has taken a couple (I saw the pics) from the area between Tennyson and Gentryville, and he knows another guy who has got several more.
    Just curious, have these been reported to the IDNR or the local Ag agent? Seems to me we want to get rid of these things before they become a pervasive problem.

Much as I want to go on a hog hunt (my daughter may even join me), for the sake of our Hoosier farmers I would not wish this plague on any farmer. They are simply too destructive to want in this state.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    They are all on the north side of the river. Thickest up close to Crane. Over there in "the valley" on the SE corner of Crane there's plenty of public ground and it's just thick with hogs. Just drive along the gravel roads and ask any one you see. They'll point you toward the abandon corn fields, forrests and coal mines. People just walk away from their land around there all the time and leave it for the public to shoot up and do what ever they want.
    This is close where I hunt... srsly.... a good chunk of land there.. and last deer season... some guys were running the deer with dogs and four wheelers... ruined my whole hunting season. :xmad::xmad: All private property that I hunt not far from crane.. few miles, but I dont own it so I couldnt do anything. Owner didnt wanna mess with bringing LEO into it :(

For the record... if there were hogs there... i'd be spending a LOT more time there :rockwoot::ar15:

-dcary7

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Just curious, have these been reported to the IDNR or the local Ag agent? Seems to me we want to get rid of these things before they become a pervasive problem.

Much as I want to go on a hog hunt (my daughter may even join me), for the sake of our Hoosier farmers I would not wish this plague on any farmer. They are simply too destructive to want in this state.

I reported the ones I saw. The person I talked to kinda didn't seem to take much stock in my report. Funny tho, that there was a paragraph in last year's hunting reg booklet about basically shoot on sight any wild hogs. If there aren't any hogs around, then why have that there?

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    I reported the ones I saw. The person I talked to kinda didn't seem to take much stock in my report. Funny tho, that there was a paragraph in last year's hunting reg booklet about basically shoot on sight any wild hogs. If there aren't any hogs around, then why have that there?

They know there are some in the state. They just would like to keep it in check if possible.:yesway:

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    This was published in 2009.

IndianaHogMap.jpg

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My daughter and family lives just north of Columbia City. She has been told by her neighbors that there are "wild boars" in the area. Feral barn cats have turned up missing, but I think that is the work of the coyotes.

I will be looking into that.

I have provided her with a 22 magnum rifle for the coyotes but I am wondering if it is enough if there are feral hogs around? She won't get a shot more than 75 yards because of terrain....

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    My daughter and family lives just north of Columbia City. She has been told by her neighbors that there are "wild boars" in the area. Feral barn cats have turned up missing, but I think that is the work of the coyotes.

I will be looking into that.

I have provided her with a 22 magnum rifle for the coyotes but I am wondering if it is enough if there are feral hogs around? She won't get a shot more than 75 yards because of terrain....

I've never heard of a hog killing a cat. They might eat one that's already dead, though.

A .22 magnum is a bit too small, but it would do it with a good shot behind the ear. I've seen a .17hmr kill a large hog with an excellent shot. Anywhere other than behind the ear and it would likely not get the job done.

Top Bottom