• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I also read that article today and was amazed by the photo of the fawn in the hog's mouth. I knew the hogs were nasty but didn't know they took down fawns like that. I also thought it interesting that each female can have 2 litters of 6 piglets (12 total a year average). That's some rapid breeding. A few years ago in Texas they were begging people to come down and shoot the feral hogs, but then they got greedy and started charging outrageous amounts for people to come down and hog hunt. That put a decline in the amount of hogs killed and they are even more overpopulated now and spreading. I agree that's bad news.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I also read that article today and was amazed by the photo of the fawn in the hog's mouth. I knew the hogs were nasty but didn't know they took down fawns like that. I also thought it interesting that each female can have 2 litters of 6 piglets (12 total a year average). That's some rapid breeding. A few years ago in Texas they were begging people to come down and shoot the feral hogs, but then they got greedy and started charging outrageous amounts for people to come down and hog hunt. That put a decline in the amount of hogs killed and they are even more overpopulated now and spreading. I agree that's bad news.

All about the money.

Feral hogs are opportunists.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    We were talking about this with a cousin in Tennessee last weekend as he showed us his stuffed hog head.

This is something I'd like to get into.

Are there any in Indiana yet?

Last edited:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    We were talking about this with a cousin in Tennessee last weekend as he showed us his stuffed hog head.

It seems like I read somewhere they've been spotted in a couple counties in the southern part of the state. I can't remember how old the info was though.:twocents:

bbucking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2016
    Monroe County
    Southern indiana I have heard has them, they tend to stay in mostly wooded environments. As bad as they are they can be controlled fairly easily. I hunt pigs and other ungulate for a living and trust me when I say a few well placed snares on their trails will eradicate them in the area if left up. Main thing is height of snares has to be low, generally the bottom of the loop should be about 1 thumbs up from the ground. Extremely effective and low bi-catch. If you don't like snares there are alot of live trap options that catch many at one time.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

It seems like I read somewhere they've been spotted in a couple counties in the southern part of the state. I can't remember how old the info was though.:twocents:

Buddy has family property southern Ind. Has pics on his cams.

I've personally seen some on a couple of occasions. But the last time has probably been two years ago now. Lawrence county's got them. If you know somebody's that got acreage along the White River, probably from Fort Ritner, Leesville, and Lawrenceport, I'd say you might have some luck.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Yes there are a decent number of hogs in the Leesville, Ft. Ritner area in Lawrence Co. Good luck getting someone to let you to hunt. Can't really blame them. If I had the opportunity for 24/7 365 hunting I'd keep it to myself too.

Dirty Steve

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I used to have a bunch back in the spoil banks behind my place. They were shot (every time we saw one) and trapped out. Finally got rid of them. Probably the best way to get rid of them is dump the old style clay pigeons out. They eat them and are toxic to hogs. It doesn't bother any other critters...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We had them around the family farm a long time ago.
    They got bad in the mid-60's and we hunted them as often as time allowed.
    Did not see any after the early 70's.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    There are wild hogs near Seymore. Some friends of ours has property there; I've seen their FB photos of the dead animals.

Kill as many as you can, people. Kill 'em all.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    So, they aren't good to eat at all? Seems like they would be good if you were willing to cure it and smoke it. I don't know anybody who eats any part of commercial pork uncured except for the chops.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    They aren't inedible.
    Just not my favorite. Very lean. Which means the meat tends to be dryer than what you're used to with a domestic pig.

And a lot depends on what they've been eating as well.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    So, they aren't good to eat at all? Seems like they would be good if you were willing to cure it and smoke it. I don't know anybody who eats any part of commercial pork uncured except for the chops.

I cook lots of ground pork and pork roasts, usually buy a whole pastured hog a couple times a year. If I were to have wild hog, i'd probably consider having it ground, maybe with a little bacon, if it is really lean.

Top Bottom