• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott357

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    I've never reloaded hollow base bullets before. Are the powder amounts the same as if they were regular flat based bullets? :dunno:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you have bullets with a hole in the bottom, not just wadcutters but some other swagged bullets have a hollow base, load them by weight, Whatever lead is missing from the hole is additional length on the skirt. Some bullets have a large hollow with thin edged skirts and some have a smaller hole with thicker skirts, it really does not matter.

With a fixed weight, and the same nose shape, the base shape is self compensating was to case interior volume. I have loaded both styles with the same charge and they chrono the same speed.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    The very limited experience I have with Berry's 185 HBRN and the reading I have been doing, seem to confirm that the added volume provided by this bullet requires higher powder charges than a 185 gr solid base bullet. The additional "skirt" of this bullet is not set within the case as it is loaded to 230 gr RN OAL's.

I tried 5.0 gr of HP 38 (OAL 1.25") and the result is a very erratic load with velocities from 579-683 fps. The lower end of these do not cycle my Ruger SR1911. I was expecting velocities above 700 fps.

After reading including the following two links, I will start at 5.8 gr of HP 38 next time.

Help with Berrys 45acp 185gr HBRN - THR

Berry's 185 HBRN - 44/45 Caliber - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'll be following this thread hoping those with more experience with the 185 HBRN will chime in.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The only hollow base bullets I've loaded were for the .38 Special. They were a swaged lead bullet and 148 grain wadcutter. They have to be loaded to very low velocities, like 760 fps. If they are loaded too hot, the "skirt" of the bullet can be blown off and cause problems. I load my .38 SPL 148 grain hollow base wadcutters with Alliant Bullseye and I typically use 2.7-2.8 grains of powder. Most solid wadcutters for .38 SPL are cast bullets. They usually can be driven at much higher velocities, because of the design of the bullet and composition of the lead mixture (much harder than swaged).

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I guess the question to the OP is, are you referring to the .38 HBWC that many of us know and love, or Berry's .45 ACP HBRN bullets that are a different animal altogether, or something entirely different?

Scott357

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Sorry.....these are 9mm 115gr hollow base. Got a few thousand on a great deal. I would guess the pressure would be greater, but I really do not know. There has to be some effect to either pressure, velocity, spin, etc. I do not have a chronometer to verify.

9mm-356-115gr-hbrn-tp-250ct-00231.jpg

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    That's the type I've been struggling with loading .45 ACP as described in post #4. After those results, I upped the HP38 up to 5.8 gr. While it bumped the average velocity up to 754 fps, the spread was crazy big...522-828 fps!!!

I'm convinced that with the large volume of the case plus the large hollow in the .45 bullet base combined with a comparatively small volume powder charge, that the powder is being inconsistently ignited. The powder may even be thrown into the hollow base of the bullet during feeding, preventing complete burning.

I'm guessing that you won't have the same problem with the smaller 9mm cases. I suggest starting by loading a few at the low end of the range for an equivalent weight solid base FMJ bullet. Even without a chrono, if the gun doesn't cycle well or only throws the spent cases a couple of feet, you will know you need to up the charge.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Sorry.....these are 9mm 115gr hollow base. Got a few thousand on a great deal. I would guess the pressure would be greater, but I really do not know. There has to be some effect to either pressure, velocity, spin, etc. I do not have a chronometer to verify.

View attachment 50591
    Weird. If I were in your shoes, I'd contact the manufacturer for advice on loading for these. Are these plated bullets? Winchester makes a hollow base 9mm bullet that is a jacketed bullet. Based upon what I've seen on the internet, the purpose of a hollow base 9mm bullet could be to increase bearing surface. I doubt that like the .38 SPL HBWC, it would expand into the rifling, to any significant amount. I'd probably load them like any similar weight plated bullet, but I don't shoot plated bullets any longer, because of their lack of accuracy in my pistols. My experience was with Rainier plated bullets, eons ago.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    First stop should be the manufacturer.
    The extra space that the bullet takes up is the space left by the hollow base, so the loads are the same.
    Also, it means starting at the starting load and working up just like all other bullets.
    However, for L-HBWCs in .38, velocities over 800 fps can lead to the skirt separating from the rest of the bullet. This can leave the skirt in the barrel as a barrel obstruction or put two holes in the target.

PS: chronograph. A chronometer is an accurate watch/clock.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Unless you are needing to bump up bullet diameter because of a larger barrel diameter I really don't see the need for hollow base bullets. I do use them with 38 Long Colt when I'm trying to match the diameter of an old barrel made for the original heeled cartridge.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Unless you are needing to bump up bullet diameter because of a larger barrel diameter I really don't see the need for hollow base bullets. I do use them with 38 Long Colt when I'm trying to match the diameter of an old barrel made for the original heeled cartridge.

Yep
    Unless you're in that type of situation, it makes zero sense to buy them, especially when otherwise identical flat base bullets can be bought for the same price.
    Why make reloading more complicated than it has to be?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I think the intent of the OP's hollow base bullets is not to expand into the rifling. I think it is to increase the bearing surface of the bullet. In theory, that could bring better accuracy.

Buckeye911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    NEW PALESTINE
    I have been loading these for a while with very little difference in my powder. Check with the manufacturer but I am doubting you will see a diff in the load. This type of bullet has been my chosen type only through experimentation.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Thanks for the "Accurate" info. In every case, the loads for Berry's 185gr HBRN are heavier than loads for other 185gr bullets.

Top Bottom