• ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I've been shooting iron sights for 50+ years. Never had a problem with them. I've always shot my 'defensive' drills at 7 yards, pulling the trigger when the clear front sight is on the blurry target. I pay no attention to the rear sight, or front-sight/rear-sight alignment. I pay attention to recoil control and keeping the front sight in focus, with both eyes open. Keep your fancy optics. I'll keep putting rounds where I want them. Oh, by the way, I've never once had a dead battery in my iron sights.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've been shooting iron sights for 50+ years. Never had a problem with them. I've always shot my 'defensive' drills at 7 yards, pulling the trigger when the clear front sight is on the blurry target. I pay no attention to the rear sight, or front-sight/rear-sight alignment. I pay attention to recoil control and keeping the front sight in focus, with both eyes open. Keep your fancy optics. I'll keep putting rounds where I want them. Oh, by the way, I've never once had a dead battery in my iron sights.

Trapper Jim?

:)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Must be nice to have 18yo eyesight at 50+.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Must be nice to have 18yo eyesight at 50+.
    Debatable. Central vision is gone in my right eye. I am right handed. There have been some adjustments over the years. Like I am happy with any rounds that hit the target (8" circle) at 20-25 yards. And not all of them do. You'll never see me attempting an Eli-type takedown. I can't see that far.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Shooting how he describes at those distances you could be almost legally blind and get "acceptable" hits, especially if grip/ trigger control is good.
    I'd agree with that description. I don't go for 1.5" group size, or such business. I go for rounds that would do the job. In 7 yd slow fire, I can keep all rounds in a 4" circle. I rapid fire, I tend to string them vertically due to my "fire when front sight on target" method. A center-mass shot that is 4-6" high or low is still quite effective. 4-6" left or right is a really good miss. I am happy with my results. Trigger control? Pretty sure I'm on top of that. Pro-level competitor? Certainly not. Confident I can do the job, if/when required? Yes. I wholeheartedly hope I never have to prove that.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd agree with that description. I don't go for 1.5" group size, or such business. I go for rounds that would do the job. In 7 yd slow fire, I can keep all rounds in a 4" circle. I rapid fire, I tend to string them vertically due to my "fire when front sight on target" method. A center-mass shot that is 4-6" high or low is still quite effective. 4-6" left or right is a really good miss. I am happy with my results. Trigger control? Pretty sure I'm on top of that. Pro-level competitor? Certainly not. Confident I can do the job, if/when required? Yes. I wholeheartedly hope I never have to prove that.

You are open to still being able to learn, after your years and years of shooting, correct?

I think you need to try shooting a good red dot sighted pistol. You might be happily awakened? Bound to be an INGOer nearby to meet at the range and give this a whirl... :ingo:

Note that the thread title Holosun SCS, with its compact carry style sight window, is not likely a great fit for the beginning RDS shooter.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    You are open to still being able to learn, after your years and years of shooting, correct?

I think you need to try shooting a good red dot sighted pistol. You might be happily awakened? Bound to be an INGOer nearby to meet at the range and give this a whirl... :ingo:

Note that the thread title Holosun SCS, with its compact carry style sight window, is not likely a great fit for the beginning RDS shooter.

I am quite open to learning new stuff. To try it once or twice seems pointless. Even if I like it, I would have no confidence in it without more practice. And there is no way I'd pay $350 for something I don't need to get the job done. My 40 year-old $5 Craftsman 1" combination wrench still serves me just fine... like my iron sights. I could go out and buy me a brand new SK 1" combo wrench for $60, and gain absoluletly nothing... just like a Holosun SCS.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I am quite open to learning new stuff. To try it once or twice seems pointless. Even if I like it, I would have no confidence in it without more practice. And there is no way I'd pay $350 for something I don't need to get the job done. My 40 year-old $5 Craftsman 1" combination wrench still serves me just fine... like my iron sights. I could go out and buy me a brand new SK 1" combo wrench for $60, and gain absoluletly nothing... just like a Holosun SCS.

Sounds like you are doing a lot of talking about things you do not know or understand? On top of making excuse for not trying a proven modern method of sighting?

You didn't have to come to or comment in this thread, about things you DO NOT know or understand. Yet you've gone out of your way to comment about this sight that is such? :dunno:

This other thread might be more appropriate for your ranting against the idea of RDS's overall, rather than this one, specifically on the Holosun SCS RDS?

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Sounds like you are doing a lot of talking about things you do not know or understand? On top of making excuse for not trying a proven modern method of sighting?

You didn't have to come to or comment in this thread, about things you DO NOT know or understand. Yet you've gone out of your way to comment about this sight that is such? :dunno:

This other thread might be more appropriate for your ranting against the idea of RDS's overall, rather than this one, specifically on the Holosun SCS RDS?

No rant. I simply replied to the question, "Got one yet?" I think it is perfectly OK for you to shoot in whatever manner you wish. How about you extending the same courtesty?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No rant. I simply replied to the question, "Got one yet?" I think it is perfectly OK for you to shoot in whatever manner you wish. How about you extending the same courtesty?

Funny, all I read was how much better your method is than any RDS, including the thread titled specific Holosun SCS, of which you have no knowledge?

My mistake, I thought I was doing you a curtesy, by helping you find a more appropriate thread for your "non-rant?"

:scratch:

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I put one on my PDP. Overall I like it for the lower height and smooth lines but I would have preferred red over green. I also dont dig the auto brightness adjustment because the holosuns don't seem to compensate well when target lighting is different than ambient lighting (e.g. using a wml in a dark room). The new Trijicons look like they are trying to fix that on theirs. It will be interesting to see how they work.

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    It’s on my list

Direct mount, keep my night sights and not needing to change out batteries? Sounds like a win, win, win to me.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I put one on my PDP. Overall I like it for the lower height and smooth lines but I would have preferred red over green. I also dont dig the auto brightness adjustment because the holosuns don't seem to compensate well when target lighting is different than ambient lighting (e.g. using a wml in a dark room). The new Trijicons look like they are trying to fix that on theirs. It will be interesting to see how they work.

I wanted red also, but I think that green might be the only offerings for this sort of solar/long term battery RDS. Power consumption of green being better than red? It appears that even though Holosun shows a red option, they have not been available?

I've come to like the green reticle, after some use. Especially since it appears to be the only choice for this sight.

I don't know whether to fuss to Holosun or brag that my daily carry of this sight is wearing the finish off?

20230825_140624.jpg

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I wanted red also, but I think that green might be the only offerings for this sort of solar/long term battery RDS. Power consumption of green being better than red? It appears that even though Holosun shows a red option, they have not been available?

I've come to like the green reticle, after some use. Especially since it appears to be the only choice for this sight.

I don't know whether to fuss to Holosun or brag that my daily carry of this sight is wearing the finish off?

View attachment 295177
    That’s not wear, it’s character.

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Auto brightness on all the Holosuns other than the SCS works ok but is very slow to respond. SCS is supposed to have fixed the slow response issue. I have an SCS on a G45 and like it but have come to prefer the 507K because the SCS is in "auto brightness" mode all the time and it's just a little to bright for my astigmatism. SCS is a very good system but I wish it had a manual setting because of my eye issues, YMMV.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Window is a little small for competition but not what it's intended for so no complaints. It just works every time. ~ 8 months & counting on this one. Matches, fun shoots, dry fire, whatever, pick it up and the dot's there. Holosun got it right with battery life, shake awake, auto adjust, it just works without any fussing around with it. Hope they keep pushing the innovation.

operatorj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Heltonville
    We got them for our duty guns, Glock 17 Gen 5 MOS. While I like Holosun, I'm not fond of the SCS. Window is smaller than a 407/507, not a fan of the green dot, and don't like not being able to control the brightness setting.

Top Bottom