• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoP

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    I am relatively new to cc...and dont do it very often. Picked up an inexpensive (like $25) inside the waistband holster that has a metal clip that slips over the belt (considering a tuckable for dressy situations but for now casual is fine). My issue is that I can't draw my glock...it just twists the whole holster out. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Holster need to loosen up, need a better one, is my belt not good enough, or do I just need more practice?

Thanks for your advice. Doesn't make me more confident to carry a gun I can't get to.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    To me, that sounds like a holster issue...

Save up your quarters and invest in a better holster when you're able. And a belt meant to hang a gun off of.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Your base is a good gun belt. They are stiff enough to not "pull" when you draw.

Next is a quality holster. Those with clips often do as you experienced and come out with the gun-- bad juju. Same with some paddle holsters. I'd look at something with actual full belt loops, or a clip that comes fully underneath the belt for support.

And of course none of that matters if the operator isn't up to snuff on a proper draw stroke. I'd highly recommend taking a gander at the Tactics & Training forum.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I just bought a Desantis Sof-tuck, very pleased with it I can draw and reholster easily (spelling?) plus It will hold my Charter Arms Off-Duty AND my Phoenix Arms HP-22 I paid $25 for it

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Could be a wide variety of things, including but not limited to your body type, and the type of gun, and the holster, belt, humidity, astrological sign....

I'd say start by investing in a good holster and belt. If you are on a budget, (like myself,) go to Walmart and pick up a very THICK and WIDE belt, that is very rigid. Under heavy use, it may only be a good gun belt for a year or so, but if you can't afford an actual "gun belt," it'll do the job.

As for holsters, if you're going to carry IWB, look into the big names; you didn't say what brand yours was, and that could be part of the issue. Not saying that a $10 holster doesn't do the job; I carried with one for years, matter of fact, but there is a reason why those slightly more expensive ones sell so well.

If your gun is a popular model, I could whip you up an IWB holster for pretty cheap; just have to be able to get ahold of the gun, or an identical model. PM me if you're interested.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    My Don Hume IWB works great on my thicker and wider belts. Not as good on the thinner and narrower ones.

Those cheap Uncle Mikes or Blackhawk nylon holsters with the plastic clips don't work on anything. Whole holster comes out.

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    belt is the key, cheap cheap equals cheap carry system. Think of it like car tires, if you put Maypops on a corvette you have a bad system. That being said companies like Desantis make holster belts that cost around $50, will last years and will help tons.
    When "stiff" is mentioned in gun belt speak it doesnt mean uncomfortable, or hand to bend/wrap around you, its meant to described the roll out of the holster. For isntance the top of the belt sagging, or rolling down towards the bottom under a load

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I had a recommendation for Beltman, and got one. It's been awesome and I fully expect it to last a long time. They run $70 and up, I think, but it's the only one I need (works well for dressup), so I was fine with that. I have IWBs, a Crossbreed and a couple of Dragons, and it all works great. I have a double stack .45 that disappears utterly, but I can have it on target instantly. It's worth it to buy quality; it's not that much more and I've found that trying to cheap out actually winds up being more expensive in many cases.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Those cheap Uncle Mikes or Blackhawk nylon holsters with the plastic clips don't work on anything. Whole holster comes out.

Agreed. These holster work better if you just cut off the cheap plastic clip and stick the whole thing in your pocket. But that sort of defeats the point doesn't it?

If you are looking for a an inexpensive IWB holster then check out Don Hume, Taruga?, or Sticky. Each of these work best with a good belt. A step up from holsters with a single clip is to look into something like a Comp-Tac Minotaur or Cross-Breed Supertuck. These have two clips on them which really helps in distributing the weight of a gun.

I had a recommendation for Beltman, and got one. It's been awesome and I fully expect it to last a long time. They run $70 and up, I think, but it's the only one I need (works well for dressup), so I was fine with that. I have IWBs, a Crossbreed and a couple of Dragons, and it all works great. I have a double stack .45 that disappears utterly, but I can have it on target instantly. It's worth it to buy quality; it's not that much more and I've found that trying to cheap out actually winds up being more expensive in many cases.

+1 I love my Beltman leather. Works great for all of my IWB, OWB & Paddle holsters. I even wear it when I pocket carry a snubby because it helps keep my pants up and my pockets from sagging.

Top Bottom