• ...and so much more!
  • chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Blade Tech Drop Offset

I'm a "buy a nice one, and buy it once" kind of person, and I'd recommend you get a Blade Tech Drop-Offset holster. You can use it for Steel Challenge, USPSA, and if you remove the spacer, you can use it for IDPA too. I prefer the new Tek-Lock over the stock belt connector, but that's just personal preference:

Blade-Tech DOH/Sting Ray Holster- <font color="red">RIGHT HAND</font>

If you order it from Shooters Connection before noon, you'll typically have it the next day!

Typically the cheaper holsters (Uncle Mikes injection molded, etc.) will work fine, but have a little more flex and aren't going to last as long. That being said, they're a completely fine way to get started in the shooting sports. Good luck on your purchase!

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    Thanks for the info, gentlemen. I'm a realist in that I don't expect to become some great competitive shooter, but I'm interested in participating. I agree about the buying quality and buying it once. I've been burned buying handguns before... I stick to major brands and well-proven models/designs now, even if it means waiting on more $$$.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Before you buy... You CANNOT use a DOH holster for IDPA! Unless it is part of your "uniform" and you are a LEO or military AND you are wearing your full get up, ie flashlight, cuffs, etc.

The best bet is still bladetech though. Just get the "Belt Holster with tek-lok" ($64.95) instead of the DOH.

The CQC holster is great for carry, but it has a safety feature that will be eternally frustrating in competition when you don't hit the release fast enough and your draw gets fubar'd.

Don't forget to get mag pouches too. For matches, the single pouch is nice because it is more versatile. Get the "competition" model bladetech ones ($39.95). probably 3 of them.

They do make an "idpa set" which is like $89.95 but it features a double mag pouch and slightly cheaper gear becuase no tek-lok and such. would be good if you want real "beginner" gear.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You can use it for Steel Challenge, USPSA, and if you remove the spacer, you can use it for IDPA too.

If you remove the DOH spacer, the holster is now a "Stingray", which I believe is allowed. From their website under "Description":

http://shootersconnectionstore.com/...Holster-font-colorredRIGHT-HANDfont-P114.aspx

"The DOH attachment can be easily removed to achieve Sting Ray status. This allows you to use one holster for different sports with different rule requirements. Also if you need the TechLok feature we sell those separately. We order all holsters with the SR belt Loop. The way we offer blade Tech Holsters give you the best value and solution.
    WITH DOH ATTACHMENT REMOVED, THIS HOLSTER IS IDPA, USPSA PRODUCTION, AND SINGLE STACK LEGAL. "

Last edited:

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    The one I posted is supposedly a "Level 1" holster..does that mean it doesn't have any additional safety features? Ther SERPA Level 2 and 3 seem to have thumlocks/etc... don't want to have to push a button or remove a thumbreak, etc.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

I see that the offset piece could be removed. I put the rule book here. Holster rules start on page 29. I wonder if the "competition model not allowed" rule would apply to this? I was interested in getting a the bladetech DOH but didn't for those reasons. maybe you are right, I would hate to get to a match and have them tell me that my holster isn't legal.

Chizzle, you know for sure?

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    The one I posted is supposedly a "Level 1" holster..does that mean it doesn't have any additional safety features? Ther SERPA Level 2 and 3 seem to have thumlocks/etc... don't want to have to push a button or remove a thumbreak, etc.

I thought it was the one that had a lock that required you to depress with the index finger. Maybe it doesn't?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm not Chizzle, but the body of the holster is identical whether you buy with the drop/offset piece or just the stingray loop or teklok. Once you remove that part and connect the holster body directly to the belt attachment, it's indistinguishable from a holster that was sold that way. If IDPA would disallow that, they've got too much time on their hand to think about things that don't matter.

http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

I see that the offset piece could be removed. I put the rule book here. Holster rules start on page 29. I wonder if the "competition model not allowed" rule would apply to this? I was interested in getting a the bladetech DOH but didn't for those reasons. maybe you are right, I would hate to get to a match and have them tell me that my holster isn't legal.

Chizzle, you know for sure?

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Rhino,
    Since I'm not holding the holster in my hand I am trying to imagine the change if you take out the piece. I understand it would no longer be offset. Are you saying that it would also no longer be dropped? I don't think the body of the holster is the issue but the position. I would actually be interested in running one of these if it is IDPA legal so I am quite interested.

thanks

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rhino,
    Since I'm not holding the holster in my hand I am trying to imagine the change if you take out the piece. I understand it would no longer be offset. Are you saying that it would also no longer be dropped? I don't think the body of the holster is the issue but the position. I would actually be interested in running one of these if it is IDPA legal so I am quite interested.

thanks

It depends on the version/vintage, but the DOH versions that I've seen are usually three pieces:

1. Holster body
    2. Belt connection (stingray or teklok)
    3. The piece in between that does the drop/offset.

If you remove piece 3, you can connect the holsterbody directly to piece 2, making it a regular belt holster.

Their product line changes though. The only DOH I see on their site right now is the Black Ice DOH. You'd have to ask them if you can remove the drop/offset part to convert to an IDPA acceptable holster.

EDIT TO ADD:

Okay ... found 'em:

http://www.blade-tech.com/Dropped-Offset-Holster-w-SRB-Loop-pr-1163.html
    http://www.blade-tech.com/Dropped-Offset-Holster-w-Tek-Lok-pr-1167.html

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415