• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Looking for a good nylon holster for a G40 MOS. Modern guns aren't really my thing thought I'd seek the collective wisdom of the group.

Thanks in advance:)

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'll echo what everyone else has said... please stay away from Nylon. Nothing good has ever come from owning and using a nylon holster.

If you've invested good money in that new pistol look for a modern holster made of kydex to keep it where it belongs...in there and on your belt. Companies like Comp-Tac, Blade-Tech or Raven Concealment are the 3 that I own several holsters and mag carriers from and I can't recommend another holster company more than those 3.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I spent about 3 weeks reading reviews and comparing IWB holsters and finally decided on the Alien Gear 3.0 hybrid style. Almost every review I read and watched on youtube said it was the most comfy carry holster ever. I like the idea of the spring steel coupled with the neoprene backing for sweat wicking. I plan on reviewing the holster when I get it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    This.

If you can say what you want to do with it and an approximate budget, perhaps we can point you in the right direction a bit.

New to the modern handgun game and I bought this as a farm gun. Had to retire the old Browning and it's leather holster as I can't see the sights without glasses these days. The G40 MOS is my first Glock and works well for this purpose, I just assumed these modern guns went in nylon/plastic holsters. Budget isn't an issue at my age, it's just needs to last.:)

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    New to the modern handgun game and I bought this as a farm gun. Had to retire the old Browning and it's leather holster as I can't see the sights without glasses these days. The G40 MOS is my first Glock and works well for this purpose, I just assumed these modern guns went in nylon/plastic holsters. Budget isn't an issue at my age, it's just needs to last.:)

Kydex. Not nylon.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Yeah, while both "plastic", Kydex holsters (or Boltaron or the like) are rigid holsters thermoformed from solid sheets. They retain their shape and allow for one handed reholstering even in IWB applications. They are formed to the specific pistol for a perfect fit.

Nylon holsters are a soft fabric weave. They are typically generic holsters which claim to fit many different pistols of similar size (through usually none very well). They are floppy and collapse after the draw if carried IWB, which requires you to remove the holster to reholster safely. Nylon holsters scream "I carry a gun but have no idea how to use it".

echb.jpg

Having played with some of your toys, I know it's not a money issue. :drool:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    When you posted "modern handgun" I was really expecting that you were giving up the wheel-gun. Probably single-action only ;)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Everybody's a comedian these days.:)

I got a chance to use some of KJQ's electronic sighted stuff and that sold me. A neighbor has a Glock 40 and I was impressed with it, so the two ideas just came together.

Even an old dog can learn a new trick.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The thumb break looks like something I would need, ATV trips through the brush can get "grabby".

Thanks!

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    Probably custom kydex, not a lot of options on the Glock 40.

KT Holsters - Glock 40 MOS Long Slide

Something like that.

I have two of their gunfighter holsters and I am very happy with both. I have an fde for my glock and a kryptek highlander for my 4" 1911. I added some pull the dot loops that I got from DIY Holster LLC for iwb but it actually conceals well owb with the right shirt. KT Mech offers them but they are cheaper from diy holster.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Friends don't let friends carry in nylon.
    Get a top quality leather rig if you want very good.
    If you want the best, get horsehide, with Kramer as my personal pick, but Milt Sparks and Galco are said to have very good horsehide rigs as well.

blakeelee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Brownsburg
    you can get a already made kydex holster and cut the spot for your optic yourself. its pretty easy. just use some wire cutters, and then sand it down to make it smooth.

bthomp9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    tipton
    For a farm gun I would go OWB outside the waist band. Blade tech is good and reasonable. I have had good luck with Alien Gear they also are reasonable. I just ordered a stealth gear, it is a little more expensive. I am hoping it will be comfortable for IWB. Desantis and Galco have good reputations.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom