Holsters without a lock are dangerous according to your friend...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Military training for combat arms types is more about teamwork, communication, and movement in austere conditions. Some of it would apply wonderfully in the civilian world if everyone were on the same page, but they're not. Military gear is typically overbuilt so it doesn't fall apart after 3 weeks in the mud, but it isn't always designed to be all that user-friendly. What you carry or how you carry it in the civilian world gains little from military experience. Mindset and stress management, however, do carry over nicely.

So if someone tells you to carry your Glock in an Uncle Mike's because that's how they did it in 'Nam, just smile and nod. And also, 80% of people who talk a big game are lying.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Actually after a bit, my guy did wise up on getting a more proper holster for civilian carry. He also had an uncle mike's holster when he was out of the corp for his then XD before getting a Safariland for his Glocks later. But when he was just out, he told me to get that type of holster for my first gun...in hindsight, I should not have listened to his advice on handgun choices or holster choices. Hell, when I got my XDM 3.8 Compact, I tried the Uncle Mike holsters and realize I can't conceal it at all and actually used the holster provided by Springfield Armory that came with the gun for a long time before getting a different carry gun later and buying a Bravo holster

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    There are a lot of folks who have never been in the military or law enforcement who are set in their ways. At least your buddy has experience to back up his feelings. I think you are lucky to have him as a friend. You don't have to argue every point and win every argument. There is no one size fits all and not every product is good for every situation or individual. What is good for a cop or soldier, might not be good for a civilian. The military does have a lot of good equipment and good R&D, but a lot of it applies to things other than guns and ammo. Be patient and considerate and I think eventually you'll both get a lot out of each other's exchange of ideas. I had a combat vet buddy (recently deceased because of complications from Agent Orange) who had just done some tunnel ratting and was resting against a large tree. He heard something, stood and looked around the tree and there was an NVA soldier with a AK-47. Both were very surprised, but my buddy reacted first and shot the enemy soldier in the head with his 1911. After the war, he bought himself a Colt Gold Cup National Match 1911. That was always his "go to" defensive pistol. Would another newer design be a better choice? I don't know, but a similar pistol saved his bacon and he had confidence in it. It was a good choice for him.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    While at most gun shows, dealers have a used box of holsters to sort thru. I look for Galco, Safariland, DeSantis, Bianchi models. Most are slightly used(broken in), but you need to verify your handgun will fit-secure. I also will leather dye most to black-using shoe polish, fast dry to match my 1 3/4 garrison style belt.

I have found some good deals, but also buy some cheapies to protect the finish when transporting/ backpacking.
    Found a couple of Kydex, with a couple of scratches-carry wounds, for $10-15. I own a couple of Blackhawks, and they make outdoor carry(woods or range), but not my first choice for CCW. My first choice is DeSantis, or Hume, but others come around too. Tagua has some decent leather. Retention locks, straps, work, but for me wet molding fit is better.

Go buy a plastic tub, start filling it up with holsters. Do not pay full price, unless custom made and expect a wait to receive them. $50-150 is normal. You get what you pay for.
    Good luck.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom