Home Break-ins on the rise (WIBC report)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Just heard on WIBC a report stating that auto break-ins & home invasions are on the rise. They had a Johnson County Sheriff giving a sound blurb, and along with break-ins becoming more common, they said that many more of them are resulting in dangerous contact between the BG & Homeowners.

If that doesn't make you arm yourself, I don't know what will.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Just heard on WIBC a report stating that auto break-ins & home invasions are on the rise. They had a Johnson County Sheriff giving a sound blurb, and along with break-ins becoming more common, they said that many more of them are resulting in dangerous contact between the BG & Homeowners.

Sounds like there's a bunch of suicidal burglars out there. :dunno:

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    It's going to get very bad very soon. I know of a car lot that keeps getting catalytic converters stolen from his cars. They are coming for anything they can move fast. They don't care if they get very little out of it. As long as they get something.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    West Side

I have a friend who lives off of 38th and High School. Last week, 2 homes were broken into, his house was attempted and a neighbor was relieved of his Catalytic Converter. Needless to say he has been by my house recently to test out a few guns and figure out what he wants to get for his little family. He's already applied for his LTCH as well...

All of that criminal activity happened in his culdesac in one night...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    How are they getting the converters off so quietly?
    My exhaust systems usually require much cursing and violent swinging of tools to work on?
    :dunno:
    Even sawing them off with a hacksaw would take quite awhile to accomplish and be noisy to boot.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Tough times and unemployment drive some undesirables to levels that result in auto/home invasions. It's not the single person trying this that I fear, it's the multiple person threat that is what concerns me.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    about 2 weeks ago an acquaintance, in Indy, had a bad home invasion.. came in through cut screen & let other in door.. surprised home owners in bed.. beat them up and took almost everything of value..
    multiple armed thugs..
    it did not make the news..

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    Desperate times make desperate people do desperate things. Add that to
    the normal criminal element and we've got trouble.

I'll be armed and ready. :draw:

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    My wife said they had to install alarms on the air conditioning units outside of her work. She said they were stealing the copper lines every weekend. She works right off shadeland ave. I'm glad she carry's...Dan

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    The area where I live(small community/country) has been experiencing several daytime break ins. The last I heard about was 2 miles from my house.

sonofagun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    Bedford, IN

Add to that a plan on how to conduct yourself during a home invasion.

A month or so ago, in Bedford no less, an occupant answered a knock on his door at 5:00 AM. He was overwhelmed by three armed thugs and robbed.

If it would have been me, I probably would have answered the door too thinking it might be a neighbor.

No longer though!

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    about 2 weeks ago an acquaintance, in Indy, had a bad home invasion.. came in through cut screen & let other in door.. surprised home owners in bed.. beat them up and took almost everything of value..
    multiple armed thugs..
    it did not make the news..
    Absolutely makes me sick.

The area where I live(small community/country) has been experiencing several daytime break ins. The last I heard about was 2 miles from my house.

I live in a nice neighborhood, and we get several of those per year in our hood. I work at home, & if the door bell rings in the middle of the day, I answer with a sidearm in tow.

Add to that a plan on how to conduct yourself during a home invasion.

A month or so ago, in Bedford no less, an occupant answered a knock on his door at 5:00 AM. He was overwhelmed by three armed thugs and robbed.

If it would have been me, I probably would have answered the door too thinking it might be a neighbor.

No longer though!

Boy, you got that right. I have a teenage son who's bedroom is a little closer to the front door than our bedroom, & I have drilled into his head if the door bell rings at night, he comes & gets me without going anywhere near the door.

I'm not paranoid, but I have been the victim of violent crime, and I can tell you, it doesn't just happen to other people.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Last edited:

Swim404

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    ATL
    I reinforced my front door with one of those strike plates and laid down something in the window tracks so they could not easily be opened. However, I still worry about someone breaking a window. How common of an occurrence is that?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Can't get next to my house without being lit up, and I have cameras covering all the entries inside and out, as well as some other areas. Nobody's sneaking up on me. Got stuff reinforced and whatnot as well. Be careful of your peephole; some people have taken a laser to the eye, which will put you at something of a disadvantage.

I've often wondered when the home invaders would start yelling "police". That just adds another level of suck. How are you supposed to know? Of course there's no reason for the police to be busting in here, but mistakes have been made, and I'm afraid some of them wouldn't be leaving.

Top Bottom