• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swbster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I was wondering what folks thought about paying a premium for HP Home defense rounds. I reload so I understand the fundamentals at play. Forget the current ammo pricing and availability, just looking to hear from experienced shooters with 10 plus gun collections. Thanks

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I was wondering what folks thought about paying a premium for HP Home defense rounds. I reload so I understand the fundamentals at play. Forget the current ammo pricing and availability, just looking to hear from experienced shooters with 10 plus gun collections. Thanks

I reload but all my personal defense rounds are high quality, new production factory built ammo.

There are advances in bullet construction technology and powder formulations that simply make the factory self defense rounds better, without them being loaded up to higher pressures. As reloaders we often do not have access to the latest, greatest bullet choices.

Some will say that a prosecutor will call you out for handloading super hot bullets, even if they are not super hot. I say a justified shoot is a justified shoot, regardless of if you are using factory loads or handloads. So I'm not against using handloads from the liability standpoint, but I am against using them from the technology standpoint. Heck, even bullets from 4 and 5 years ago are out dated in terms of the technology. There are now bullets/powders formulated for short barrel self defense pistols, with bullets tuned to perform at lower velocities, while others from the same company are tuned to perform better out of a full size gun. Many of those bullets are just not sold as components only.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I, too, depend upon high-quality factory new JHP ammo for self (and home) defense.

Too much at stake not to.

-J-

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I reload but all my personal defense rounds are high quality, new production factory built ammo.

There are advances in bullet construction technology and powder formulations that simply make the factory self defense rounds better, without them being loaded up to higher pressures. As reloaders we often do not have access to the latest, greatest bullet choices.

Some will say that a prosecutor will call you out for handloading super hot bullets, even if they are not super hot. I say a justified shoot is a justified shoot, regardless of if you are using factory loads or handloads. So I'm not against using handloads from the liability standpoint, but I am against using them from the technology standpoint. Heck, even bullets from 4 and 5 years ago are out dated in terms of the technology. There are now bullets/powders formulated for short barrel self defense pistols, with bullets tuned to perform at lower velocities, while others from the same company are tuned to perform better out of a full size gun. Many of those bullets are just not sold as components only.
    Very true, I understand many of the high performance loads are built using proprietary powders, some apparently mixed with more than one powder to obtain high velocity without excessive pressures. There is probably testing done to guarantee this performance without blowing up a weapon. Doubt any "normal" home re-loader's have the equipment to insure this isn't dangerous. Bullets may be special designed to take advantage of the velocity and to insure maximum penetration of a clothed human with max. expansion for lethal damage. As you said these bullets may not be available to the consumer. My son and I have reloaded and cast bullets for over 20 years - but we don't use reloads for our Home Defense or Carry weapons. The cost is pretty low - when the difference in stopping power may be life or death.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    It is 100% worth the extra cost. IMO they take more care and detail into loading SD ammo than plinking ammo, so i only carry Hornady SD loads on my .38spcl

swbster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Interesting - I guess I did not realize so many folks did not view what they reload as good enough(or at least not the best option) for those situations. I can see it both ways but have not been the guy buying those special loads. Maybe someone will chime in that does not carry new production loads and that also reloads.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Im not a reolader but I do only carry Federal Hydra Shok's.
    My mag has a mix of Glaser Safety Slugs and Hydra Shoks.
    Hydra Shoks are OLD technology. I've got some, but they are not my carry rounds. There are plenty of better rounds out there. Just like the folks who still think the Black Talons are good, that is just hanging on to 20 year old myth. Cars have improved. Computers have improved. TVs have improved. Bullets have also improved. Set your old stuff aside, but the new stuff. Is your life not worth the best? If you like Federal then switch to the HST. Or consider the Remington Golden Saber. Or the newest Winchester Ranger SXT. Or premium rounds from Hornady.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

I'll answer your question, with a question. How much do YOU value YOUR life, or the life of someone YOU are protecting? To me, is is worth the extra few cents, or $ to make sure I have the best, most reliable ammo in my weapon....:twocents:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Wow am I the only one here that carrys my own hand loads? I have not purchased a factory round in years. I am a strong beleiver of carrying what you practice with. I know the limitations of my firearm and know what it can and cannot do. I shoot hard cast in everything across the board and dont buy into the hype of all latest garbage out there. A flying chunk of lead is going to kill whatever it hits and that is that. Dont over analyze it. I have taken many critters with my rifles with match bullets labeled "not for hunting". Know what you and your gun can do and practice as much as you can afford to. Life is good.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    100% for buying self defense loads. One of the things the makers work on is over penetration. You don't want a round going through a BG and hitting an innocent.
    Watch some You tube ammo tests, the results are eye opening.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    100% for buying self defense loads. One of the things the makers work on is over penetration. You don't want a round going through a BG and hitting an innocent.
    Watch some You tube ammo tests, the results are eye opening.

That's funny right there^^ Overpenetration!! HEHEHEHE!!

I don't know about you, but when the 1-in-10 perfectly placed shot lands, I'm really hoping the bullet doesn't get too close to something vital like a heart or CNS! That would be disastrous.

AZ D

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    NWI
    I hate to say it, 'cause it sounds like a cop out, but in my opinion, stick to current, factory ammunition for defense. If you end up in court, it will not look as bad (to the Jury), as self-loaded rounds.

swbster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Thanks for the question SSGSAD - what is my life worth. I would agree that it's worth the few extra cents/dollars. Having said that, I never felt like I was putting myself in a bad position with my own loads. I shoot lots of them and don't have the sort of problems that would ever make me think I am not prepared for the BG.

I appreciate the great discussion- as Sniper 79 points out(I think we are from the same school of thought) I was just wondering what others thought of the premium. I am wondering if maybe I shoot my guns a little more than some that are answering this question - maybe not. I guess when you shoot the HD guns, you either shoot the same ammo that you carry it with or you unload that and fill it up with the home made or the cheaper stuff.

Top Bottom