• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmyers

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    I am not entirely new to the site, however, I am new to posting here. can anyone tell me their best opinion of what the best home defense shotgun would be? I am in the market for a tactical 12 gauge......

I have already had very positive experience with Mossberg, and cast and load my own buckshot. My dad and I have 2 500's with a combined 7K + rounds through them and not one failure of any kind, so I know they are not junk.

I know that the pump handle is loose, etc. This is not a show gun, nor a poser duck gun. Nor are most pump shotguns.

I am looking at a first 870. The tactical with a parkerized barrel, etc for a steal .

I want honest answers, who has had problems with the 870 jamming/locking up?

Problems with the Mossy 500/590? I will go with the 590 SPX no questions asked if I never read another thing on here.

I have some friends who swear by the 870, one of which is a Marine. But I know Mossberg makes a reliable shooter as well.

Nothing about safeties please.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I am not entirely new to the site, however, I am new to posting here. can anyone tell me their best opinion of what the best home defense shotgun would be? I am in the market for a tactical 12 gauge......

I have already had very positive experience with Mossberg, and cast and load my own buckshot. My dad and I have 2 500's with a combined 7K + rounds through them and not one failure of any kind, so I know they are not junk.

I know that the pump handle is loose, etc. This is not a show gun, nor a poser duck gun. Nor are most pump shotguns.

I am looking at a first 870. The tactical with a parkerized barrel, etc for a steal .

I want honest answers, who has had problems with the 870 jamming/locking up?

Problems with the Mossy 500/590? I will go with the 590 SPX no questions asked if I never read another thing on here.

I have some friends who swear by the 870, one of which is a Marine. But I know Mossberg makes a reliable shooter as well.

Nothing about safeties please.

Looks like a pretty good choice right there;). Hard to beat the simplicity of a Mossberg 500

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Mossberg fan here as well. I say go with what you trust the most. Really can't go wrong wither way, but it seems like you already know you can trust the Mossy no questions asked.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I own a 500 as well. I would stay away from a pistol grip stock. Why, because of the placement of the safety. It's a shotgun, keep it simple.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Pump gun---Mossy 590 in 12 g.
    Auto loader---Mossy 930 in 12.g
    Budget gun pump---Mossy 500 in 12 G.
    I have Winchester, Remington, Siaga and Mossy. Love everyone of them for different reasons. The Mossy pump and auto loader are loaded and ready for home defense.
    JMHO

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I own a 500 as well. I would stay away from a pistol grip stock. Why, because of the placement of the safety. It's a shotgun, keep it simple.

Everybody above is correct. If you know the 500 platform then stay with that for home defense. US Patriot and I would agree that the top mounted safety on the 500 does not work as well with a pistol grip stock. Excellent for a regular stock though. Mossberg makes an 8 shot gun with a 20" barrel in both the 500 and 590 flavor. That was going to be my next gun until I bought a beat up 870 cheap. Otherwise I would have went Mossy.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    if it ever becomes readily available, the Kel-Tec KSG might be interesting to look at.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You said yourself that you're experienced and comfortable with the Mossberg 500.
    Why change now?

Yes, I'm a Mossberg fan.

.458socomhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Tipp Co
    My only complaint on my Mossberg is the insane trigger group. Then again, it also doubles as my Fiance's deer gun and supposedly this has be alleviated with some new trigger offerings.

They are reliable that is for sure.

Top Bottom