• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Just curious what size shot you run in your HD shotgun and the choke. I read that #1 buckshot was the perfect choice in a cyclinder/IC choke.

Just wondering if anyone has really read up on penetration in the home and optimal killing size.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    #1 or 00 is a solid choice.

I would look for plated shot and flight control wad. Pattern it out of your gun at distances you'd see in your house, and as long as the patterns are tight not give it any more thought.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I run Imp Cyl in my 870 Supermag turkey model (23" VR RC).
    3 inch mag #4 plated turkey loads.
    Maybe not ideal... but it aint exactly a rabbit load, plus I had 'em laying around.

packard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    My Mossberg 500 12 ga with 18" IC barrel has Federal LE #1 buck putting all 15 pellets in a 1.5" group at 12 yds. Tests show they do not over penetrate.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I only run rock salt in my scatter gun since I don't want to really hurt anyone. The sound of the pump racking is all you really need anyway, sends the bad guys running every time.

AboveTheBest

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Bloomington

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I always heard rock salt was good for this as well, but I read an article on the Box 'O Truth website that made me think differently about using it.

The Box O' Truth #33 - Rock Salt in a Shotgun - The Box O' Truth

O_o

Sorry, I thought the implied purple was more obvious.

FIFM.

I only run rock salt in my scatter gun since I don't want to really hurt anyone. The sound of the pump racking is all you really need anyway, sends the bad guys running every time.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

I only use Himalayan pink salt. Rock salt is as outdated as a 1911. Do you even shop at Whole Foods??

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    From the old Firearms Tactical web site (assuming 12 gauge):

"For personal defense and law enforcement applications, the International Wound Ballistics Association advocates number 1 buckshot as being superior to all other buckshot sizes. Number 1 buck is the smallest diameter shot that reliably and consistently penetrates more than 12 inches of standard ordnance gelatin when fired at typical shotgun engagement distances. A standard 2 ¾-inch 12 gauge shotshell contains 16 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma.

In all shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body."

So, some feel that #1 buck is optimal in 12 ga. Though, 00 buck works just fine too and is a lot more common/readily available.

Another comment from the same article: "With birdshot you are wise to keep in mind that your gunfire has the potential to NOT PRODUCE an effective wound. Do not expect birdshot to have any decisive effect."

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I posted this here awhile back but worth repeating for consideration. I did some pattern testing with various rounds last Fall at 20 feet which is my realistic in home distance. I liked what I saw with either #1 or 00 buck Federal Flight Control. Picture below is what entry looks like from my Mossberg 930/SPX 20" barrel cylinder bore (so no choke). Entry looked just the same from a 20" cylinder bore Mossy 500 and a 14" Mossberg 590 SBS. That's the entry. See video for what the #1 shot does after entry.

Note that I did longer distances out to about 40' with the Flight Control and the entry pattern was pretty much the same.

Fed%20FC%20Moss%20930%20SPX%2020%20ft_zpsosawgcxf.jpg

[video=youtube;JNb2uvezzx0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNb2uvezzx0[/video]

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Also worth watching to see results of different loads in gel (slow motion).

[video=youtube;rhZf_x8Esms]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZf_x8Esms[/video]

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I am currently running 1 1/8 oz. of 1 1/8", military fletchetts in a Winchester, AA, power piston wad over a heavy field load of Red Dot in a full brass, 2 3/4" Winchester hull. Delivery is from a Remington 870, 20" smooth bore RS, IC barrel on top of a +2 extended tube with a 9" bladed, M7 bayonet. Backward loaded *4 finish nails also work but do not fly as straight as the fletchetts.
    Over penetration is not really a factor. Most of the energy is lost on initial contact.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Currently I'm using some Winchester 2 3/4" 16 pellet #1 buck in my 835, with modified choke tube. At 10 yards it makes one big ragged hole. Same load with with imp cyl choke makes a fist sized pattern at 10 yards.

Top Bottom