• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Endofdays

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    I am in the market for a home defense shotgun. I am looking for suggestions. My price ranges from $200-$600. I would prefer semi-auto, lightweight and easy operation. I would like to gauge the community for some insight. Any suggestions and what are your thoughts?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Check your local Pawn Shop for a Remington 870 pump. Reliable, easy to use, handles various types of ammunition flawlessly (hundreds of law enforcement agencies can't be all wrong). If you buy a long-barreled shotgun, short barrels are easy to come by. If you're a left-hander and don't want to learn to manipulate the safety, look for a Mossberg pump. I realize you want a semi-auto, but I understand they can be finicky about ammunition, and you don't want to go BANG-CLICK in a home defense situation.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Depending on where you look you could possibly end up finding Remington 11-87 used for sub-$550...heck you may even get lucky and find a used Remington 1100 for cheap. I finally passed up my last used semi-auto and bought the next 11-87 that came my way. It was their Special Purpose and I paid $500 for it. Whittaker in Kentucky has used 11-87 with wood furniture for $489.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I am in the market for a home defense shotgun. I am looking for suggestions. My price ranges from $200-$600. I would prefer semi-auto, lightweight and easy operation. I would like to gauge the community for some insight. Any suggestions and what are your thoughts?

I bought my N E W twin BENELLI M1 SUPER 90, 18.5 inch barrel, pistol grip, rifle sights, extended mag tube. I paid $1300 for the pair:rockwoot:

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I think pumps are better for defense. There more reliable, cheaper, easier to use and maintain. Theres also more flavors you have Remington style which would be 870s and NEF Pardners. I have had both and I love them. Mossberg types you have Maverick 88s, 500s, 590s. Ive never owned a Maverick or a 590 but the 500 and 590s are great to. If I had a choice for an autoloader in that price range Id say a Browning Auto-5 but Im crazy and like the older stuff

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Semi-auto is the way to go, You can shoot a semi-auto quicker, don't have to un-shoulder it to pump another round into it, can shoot it prone

Pump shotguns allow the use of multiple types of munitions that won't cycle an Auto

you don't have to "un-shoulder" any pump at any time

you can shoot a pump OFF shoulder and it won't short cycle like many auto's can

And with practice the time difference between an auto and pump can only be measured on shooting shows and while sitting in an armchair.

But if you have an Auto that you like and understand the few limitations then you are golden with any type of shotgun you choose.

Just know what you have and use it correctly

bmiller07

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    hey buddy nice to meet you. we are in the same market for home defense shotguns. im eaither rolling with a mossberg 500 or rem 870. they both have lots of tactical accesories that will make some really nice looking guns.

tb8520

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    I'm looking for the same. Dicks sporting goods has mossberg pumps fairly cheap but I would really like the 870 for the wife.

dudish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    I am a fan of the ergonomics of the 870. But either the 870 or a 500 are my pics. I bought an old hunting 870 for cheap and cut the barrel down to 19 in. It never gets used so i cannot justify spending a lot on an HD shotgun.

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    Mossberg 930

any mossberg will do nicely.

Another vote for a pump over a semi. I like the Mossberg 590 alot.

I too am a Mossberg fan. I have a 930SPX and a 500 and soon a 590A1 (again). I prefer the 590 over the Remmington 870 simply for the location of the safety. The metal trigger guard and metal trigger group, along with the endorsement from several military branches makes it that much sweeter. Which ever way you choose, think about what suits you best for what you want it to do and go with it :) I had an Eotech 552 mounted on my SPX for maximum destruction :rockwoot:

IMG_5965.jpg

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Probably the best buy out there is the Beretta 1201FP, same basic action as the Benelli Super 90 and can be bought for around $500. There are Detroit PD trade ins on Gunbroker at a buy it now price of $419. Also if you watch you can find the Benelli 121 M1 in that price range, The 1100 does a great job as well, mine has been running flawlessly for years...

1100a-1.jpg

Top Bottom