• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    Cutting the stock won't put you under the OAL requirement. An 870 with an 18 1/2" barrel is right at the 26" OAL requirement with just the receiver and barrel.

404292022.jpg
    Hmmmmmmm. Many years ago, durring the Virginia coal mine strikes, I sawed off a shotgun barrel to what I thought was 18". Now i`m wondering if I sawed it under 18". What if I did? Will the shot gun be illigal? Damn, I`ve had this thing forever!

Bret B

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    I like the mossberg , I put a pistol grip on it. Looks really cool and a lot of fun to shoot. Also have some coach guns, either would be great for home defense. Good luck with your choice.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Maybe the question that you need to ask yourself, and I'm shocked that it hasnt been asked yet, is "Why is this thread in the Handgun Forum?" :dunno:

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I got a $200 pardner pump from Gander Mountain and some slugs. It's cheap, and will fire what I put in it, and more than likely hurt the intruder. I'd recommend a sidesaddle for extra shot.

The only downfall is that it's F@#$!ing heavy, you could thwack'em dead with it if it came to it.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    For HD ammo I would probably get some #4 or #5 (135 to 170 pellets per ounce) game shot shells. If you want to blow off a wooden door hinge or a doorknob grab some 00 (8 or 9 pellets per ounce) buckshot.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Hmmmmmmm. Many years ago, durring the Virginia coal mine strikes, I sawed off a shotgun barrel to what I thought was 18". Now i`m wondering if I sawed it under 18". What if I did? Will the shot gun be illigal? Damn, I`ve had this thing forever!

Get one of those "door busters" (like the ones that come on the Mossbergs)and weld it on. That should put you over 18".

muncie1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    I think you could find a used 870 or used mossberg with a slug barrel for under $250. It would be longer than 18.5 inches and long enough so you do not have to worry about if it is illegal.

danatkins

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    measure it if it's a removable barrel then take that bbl off and cut it in half with a band saw if it's under 18 if not don't worry about it

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    +PGR Chaplain: Partner pump is a sleeper shotgun, Cheap, durable, basic finish, and does accept Rem 870 accessories! Have had one on active hunting duty, home defense, and on stand by at my employment. Been in snow and rain, cleaned up and lubed, no issues and has a tight pattern with #4, and 00 buck. Also like the Maverick series, no loss with either. If you shop, you may find a Winchester 1300, also a formible weapon for the cost. Shoot a few different ones, it may help you decide.

I have one too. I like it since I can get barrels for it for hunting.

However, if you purely want a HD shotty, look at the Interstate Arms Hawk too. They have ghost rings instead a bead sight.

Both can be purchased for around $200.

Hoosierhunter97

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    It's a personal preference, but I never look at a shotgun as a "single purpose" firearm. I researched myself to death and the best value'd shotgun I found was an Akkar field pump. Barrel exchange is truly modular, and you can seat a different barrel literally in under a minute. They also provided the improved cylinder choke which allows you to accurately fire steel/copper/buck shot as well as slugs. I purchased a 28" barrel field model (link below) for $226 with the FFL transfer from Buds Gunshop. Its chambered for 2 3/4 or 3" rounds, which covers the gammit IMO.

300 & 335 MASTER-MAG PUMP SHOTGUNS

Blondie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You wont go wrong with a remington 870. get the right shells for the job. talk to your local law officer and he will tell you whats best for you.

ag563

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Delphi, Indiana
    I just picked up a mossberg crusier 20 ga., a couple of weeks ago, for $315.
    I emailed mossberg, they said it can shoot anything from bird shot to slugs,
    just NOT sabot slugs. 18.5" barrel, 28" total length, good HD gun.

Spudgunr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    NWI - Porter County
    We had a pawn shop selling older mossberg 500's for $125-150. I found the stock to be a bit long for me (I'm 5'8" but also like shorter stocks) so I took 1-2" off it with a table saw and relocated the butt pad. The 18" barrels can be had I think around $60 or so, or you can cut down a longer barrel (I'm still looking to do that at some point if I can find a cheap donor barrel, maybe one somebody damaged the threads or crushed the muzzle). Of course, a hack saw will work, but I have a lathe so I'd be able to do a NEATER job than just chopping at it with a saw. Still, you can get something and make it work for under $200, with PLENTY of firepower. I keep mine loaded with 2 rounds of 41 pellet #4 buck, then the other 4 rounds are 18 pellet 00.

Top Bottom