• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgt Stoner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Fishers
    I currently have a Ruger P90 which I abslutely love! But its not cheap to take to the range as often as I would like. Trying to decide whether to just buy a smaller pistol like a Beretta Neos for the range or get something like a Sig Sauer with the changeable barrels. Any suggestions?

Sgt Stoner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Fishers
    I thought of trading in the Ruger towards the purchase of the Sig...The Neos is only around $250. Far as I can tell the Sig in both a small caliber and Large caliber is around $700

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The gun is far less important than your ability. It is not the weapon that is important but the warrior holding it. No matter what you choose you need to go to the range and shoot the thing and get good with it. Also the benefits of dryfire can be spectacular and that only costs time.

Sgt Stoner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Fishers
    Im an Expert Pistol Marksman in the Army.... I agree skill is of High value... but at the moment its not the issue

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Basic marksmanship skills with a .22 translate to basic marksmanship skills with any other gun. Not to mention, they are a lot of fun in their own right. Still gotta practice with your carry gun, too. Dryfire can be good practice, but do need to put rounds downrange through your gun. Reloading can help you put more of those rounds downrange. Even if you reload cast bullets, though, you can still put 3 times as many .22s downrange. Nothing beats rounds downrange. So, do all three. Buy a .22, dryfire practice with your gun, and reload so you can shoot your primary more, also.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    Learn to roll your own :D Then you can shoot your ruger for just a few bucks a box. That is the exact reason that I started reloading, Im not saying that now I save a ton of money, its about the same but I shoot 4 times as much :rockwoot:

Todd Levesque

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Indy, North
    Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire. There is a $50 a item that you can get and install in the barrel, which will shot a laser beam out to show the approx. projectile hit for dry fire exercise. Even without that, I have been told by many excellent shooters that dry fire is key to your range time being productive. No need to put a lot of expensive lead down range, if you don't have the fundamentals in place.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Cut out some non-essentials. Don't go out to eat one night and you have a box of ammo. Watch TV instead of going to the movies. Cut back on smokes and drinks.

There are lots of ways to gain a little extra fun money. You just need to prioritize. Since you can obviously already shoot then the basics are set. Now you need to practice with what you will carry.

I won't carry a gun unless I know what the rounds do through it. I bought a couple boxes of Gold Dot for my 4006 but haven't loaded them because I haven't done any real range time with them. You must be comfortable with what's in your hand.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I agree with some of the other responses. It would be to your advantage to reload your practice ammo. The initial investment can be costly, but in the end, it does save you money, and it is fun to do.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I think you're right on the money. After a fair amount of research I bought a 229 classic in .22 in new condition from Gunbroker for right at 400.00 last year, got with R2mach1 on Sigforum (Ryan at Central Auto Parts, in Ft Morgan, Colorado.) centralap@kci.net and ordered a centerfire kit for about 50 bucks less than Sig wanted for it, and got it in a week and a half, instead of three and a half months. Have been practicing with the .22 upper ever since. Recently had to move one of the targets back to make it more of a challenge. Practice counts, and .22 makes it cheap and easy. And using the same frame/fire controls for practice with the .22 as I use with the .40 makes what little time I do practice with the .40 much more effective. Just seems more natural when I'm using the same frame and fc for both. And as was stated above... both had for about 759.00. Less than the price of a new 229 in lots of places.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Cut out some non-essentials. Don't go out to eat one night and you have a box of ammo. Watch TV instead of going to the movies. Cut back on smokes and drinks.

You sir just made my block list (if there is such a thing). :tantrum:
    I was with you till you took away my whisky.

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    i've been thinking about getting a drop in .22 kit for my 1911, they seem costly, but look at the price and availability of .45 vs .22.. it makes me wonder why I traded my .40 Taurus, but..... it was a Taurus lol, so it was worth it. I shoot high to the right with this new pistol, and i really think that the conversion kit would be a wonderful thing for everybody to have.

AND THERE IS NO WAY IN HE77 IM GIVING UP MY SMOKES lol.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I go to the range at least every other weekend. I spend most of my time shooting my .22s, that is why I bought them because I can afford to shoot them all day for cheap. I usually run a couple mags through my EDC gun each range trip. That way a box of ammo can last me about 4 trips, not too bad. Good luck with your decision.:ingo:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Hey now guys read through what I said again... cut back not cut out.

I likes my indulgences as well, but if I were back to a point where I had to decide on not being able to practice with my EDC or having an extra drink or smoke I would cut the latter out.

Smokes are what... $5 a pack? Three packs is a box of nines. Cube of cheap beer is in the $15 range as well. You see where I am going with this...

Oh and since I am not in the financial situation to have to decide I still have my extracurricular fun.

Now please unblock me so I can see again <grin>

Sgt Stoner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Fishers
    Thanks for all the Tips guys! I definetly think im gonna keep my .45 and look for either a conversion for it or just a whole new .22... since buying another gun sounds like more fun!

Top Bottom