• ...and so much more!
  • MikeA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    ding ding ding!

you can be a class 3 dealer out of your home, i promise

It cost way more than the price of the weapon to have the privilege to posses a post dealer sample for the life of your license.

Ill take the transferable one that I can pay 12k to shoot, and its still worth 12k if not more when Im done shooting it. (as you keep paying the yearly SOT cost)

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It cost way more than the price of the weapon to have the privilege to posses a post dealer sample for the life of your license.

Ill take the transferable one that I can pay 12k to shoot, and its still worth 12k if not more when Im done shooting it. (as you keep paying the yearly SOT cost)

Ding ding ding, we have a winner

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass

but then your stuck with the 1 gun

bigjross2002

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    You can think of the outcome several ways...

One is that you will have survived a deadly force encounter which is good... You are alive and that is what matters. We are obviously assuming that this was a good shoot and that a definite lethal threat presented its self causing you to use force.

Charges may or not not be pressed as a result. Remember that public outcry can determine the prosecutors response as they want to get re elected. This is not good if you live in a liberal jurisdiction and remember you used a "machine gun". Also dont think that using the weapon on auto wont be brought up. One would ask why this setting was used and your reasoning when you had the semi auto setting to use as well... They are looking for a response in the nature of "I wanted to kill him" versus "stop the threat" response. Also remember this regardless of circumstances you did commit murder the intentional killing of another person (however it is a defense to have acted in self defense. ) Also remember that you could be charged with a lesser crime (IE criminal recklessness due to use of automatic depending on the area used IE urban areas)

Civil lawsuit will almost certainly be brought up. Again the reasonableness of using full auto and your statements made to investigators will be used against you. Prepare having your words bent to suit litigation lawyers arguments.

The gun will most likely be taken into police continuity for ballistics testing and evidence pending any possible criminal charges and / or civil litigation. This will suck if you have a 12-20K weapon taken from you. And there is no certainty that you will get it back anytime soon. Some weapons are held by the courts for YEARS...

The news will most likely make you out to be a villain. They will most likely focus on the suspect being killed and your use of a machinegun to stop someone who just wanted to take property. Nevermind he was committing a forceable felony against YOU. This media backlash and the public approval in the area this force was used will influence the prosecutor (see above)

Like other posters have replied... There is no law against using NFA weapons in self defense... But dont think it wont be brought up... But again understand you are ALIVE...

Just a consideration and my .02 cents. Its one reason I would not ever choose a personally owned NFA item for defense unless I had no other choice.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Excessive Use Of Deadly Force is a crime if I remember correctly. You can only use enough force to stop the threat. Any more than that a prosecutor and/or a civil atty can pound the law up your rear end if they want you. It is a very fine line when the adrenaline is flowing but do not cross it. NFA items are better left in the safe. If you are cleaning a NFA item as in your original question then it is wise to keep a title I firearm nearby for protection if you feel the need. Nobody has enough money to fight an unlimited treasury that any prosecutor has. Remember there is criminal and civil lawsuits that can be brought upon you for the use of excessive force.

chuck

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    Dead is DEAD, shooting more times will not make them any more dead, personally i think most people would empty a magazine very quickly when put in this situation, regardless of the weapon in question. If you still feel the threat, would you not keep pulling the trigger? I hope i never have to pull a trigger in self defense, but i don't think i would be able to keep calm.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Dead is DEAD, shooting more times will not make them any more dead, personally i think most people would empty a magazine very quickly when put in this situation, regardless of the weapon in question. If you still feel the threat, would you not keep pulling the trigger? I hope i never have to pull a trigger in self defense, but i don't think i would be able to keep calm.

Dead is dead. There is no question there. The line is drawn is when the threat is stopped you must stop using force. Keep pulling the trigger and well it can end bad for you. Anyone that is if fear for their life can only use enough force to stop the threat and no more. Beyond that is Excessive Use of Deadly Force. You can apply any personal gun store theory that you want but the law is clear and that is what the prosecutor will enforce at your cost. Then possibly the civil suit will come and will cost you some more. Better have some cash for an atty at a moments notice and for years to come. Mine took 4.5 years to end, and i'm still paying off the loans.

Sometimes the law does not make much sense but that is the way it is.

Chuck

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...Anyone that is if fear for their life can only use enough force to stop the threat and no more. Beyond that is Excessive Use of Deadly Force. You can apply any personal gun store theory that you want but the law is clear and that is what the prosecutor will enforce at your cost. ...

I'd like to read this Excessive Use of Deadly Force law and see just how clear it is.

Got a reference to cite?

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    I'd like to read this Excessive Use of Deadly Force law and see just how clear it is.

Got a reference to cite?

My attorney just explained the law to me and did not give me a statute number to reference. Personally I did not care at the time as I had other things to worry about. I'll try to look it up when I get some time.

Chuck

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I have access to a shot timer, 11.5inch sbr, 16 inch ar, shoot house, and a shotgun.

Times to clear the house between the SBR and the 16 were so close to identical as to prove meaningless.

Times between the shotgun and the ARs, made me put away that shotgun for good.

If I have to choose between a gun thats already regulated and registered with the federales, and on that isnt, if in my hands there is zero difference in effectiveness?

I will take the carbine, leave the sbr, and mothball the shotgun.

Just my humble opinion.

Top Bottom