Home defense. you see out. they cant see in.?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    Not entirely sure if this is the correct area. Sorry if not please place accordingly.

So as I was walking through my house with inside lights on I am sure many others have seen that the glare on windows blinds you to the outside and shows your movements. So I am wondering if any of you see this truly as a disadvantage also and if so what are somethings you can do to combat this.
    I am wondering if a cost effective way to "blind " outsiders by producing a glare or something of that nature?
    thanks and any links to related items would be appreciated.

Also where I am at is a relatively safe area and I have not heard of much happening. But this is ingo and it never hurts to prepare for what could happen.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    mirrored tint on the windows wouldnt be too awfully expensive. and if you have decal experience, you can do quite well.

let alone what you'd probably save on heating / cooling.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If you can see out, they can't see you (easily). If you can't see out (easily), you can be seen.

I have voiced this concern to my wife many times, and she is starting to get it. It all has to be who has the least amount of ambient light, and who has more. If you can block the light, then you can have full advantage of seeing out, but them not seeing in.

I don't think a mirror would work with traffic and all...

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    mirrored tint on the windows wouldnt be too awfully expensive. and if you have decal experience, you can do quite well.

let alone what you'd probably save on heating / cooling.

As a 15yr Window tint veteran, I respectfully disagree with your reply :)

Adding window film, especially mirrored film, will not help. It will in fact hinder what you're trying to accomplish. The film has reflective properties (even on the inside) and you would have more reflection (glare) inside trying to look out at night.

Also, as was noted already, wherever the majority of ambient light is, is where the 'seeing' will take place. For example, if you have flood lights outside that provide more (outside) ambient light than what you have inside, you will see out better than someone seeing inside. (and vice versa). In the window film industry, the 'glare' you speak of is called backshine.

Installing window film is much more involved (ESPECIALLY on residential glass) than just throwing up some wallpaper. There's heating and shading coefficients that must be considered as well as the direction the glass faces, and type of windows (low E, etc)..

Not a job for the novice :)

1Spider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    I like to walk around in the house with the lights off just for that reason. I will often turn the light on in the next room to help me see where I am going in the dark room. People don't need to know where I am going in my house.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    Not entirely sure if this is the correct area. Sorry if not please place accordingly.

So as I was walking through my house with inside lights on I am sure many others have seen that the glare on windows blinds you to the outside and shows your movements. So I am wondering if any of you see this truly as a disadvantage also and if so what are somethings you can do to combat this.
    I am wondering if a cost effective way to "blind " outsiders by producing a glare or something of that nature?
    thanks and any links to related items would be appreciated.

Also where I am at is a relatively safe area and I have not heard of much happening. But this is ingo and it never hurts to prepare for what could happen.

what are you so worried about?? i mean are you really THAT IMPORTANT?

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    well is your importance to your family and yourself going to matter to a crook? ...it's doubtful.. even if he can't see you through the window they don't mind letting a few rounds off into the house. these kind of people DO NOT CARE!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Strategically placed motion detection lights can turn the tables.

My only really vulnerable location is in the glass sunroom at the rear of the house where we often sit in the evening.

I have lights there that activate with motion and completely illuminate the yard.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From my front door, looking out through the front porch toward the curb, for someone standing at the door (having just knocked), the front porch light is behind them. When it's night and someone's at the door, for me to look out while the porch light is on, the person standing there is backlit, which is worse than useless.

To address this, I'm thinking of a pair of white LED panels with frosted polycarbonate lenses, one panel on each side of the front door, would address this issue. Rather than back-light whoever is at the door, I would literally front-light them with a light source I couldn't even see from looking through the peephole but for an object standing in front of the door.

A similar system could be installed outside all of the windows, perhaps even hidden into structure of decorative shutters, should such be available. Alternatively, down-firing/out-firing LED flood lights might be installed over each window in the soffits for a truly unobtrusive look. Adding PIR motion detection would be simple in addition.

Top Bottom