• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    You may me missing something important. I watched as a demonstrator picked a dead bolt in seconds flat with two little pieces of metal. Why make a ton of noise kicking a door in when you can pick a lock in seconds. What is needed are dogs good jams and an owner that knows how to defend their castle. I would imagine a thief would think twice a out entering a home when dogs are heard barking inside. Move to the next house with no barking less chance of getting bitten.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Or you could just install you doors so they open out instead of in. That is what I did.

And make sure your inside handle at least is a STURDY industrial ADA compliant lever handle and not a knob. If the perp gets a good hold on the door, you will need equal or better handles on the inside to pull back. No way a BG who has a firm grasp on the edge of the door will lose when all you have is a slippery knob to try to hang onto...

And you will still want hardened hinges as well as captive hinge pins... the ones with additional bolts that go into the door frame from the edge of the door (kinda like the locking bolts on a safe door). You dont want them to be able to pop the hinge and pry the door out while its closed.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    You're simply not going to defeat every possible attack by a determined bad guy. You'll drive yourself insane trying. Mostly they want in quickly, and most of those aren't bright enough to develop picking skills, so they'll kick.

Many years ago, maybe 20, I milled a couple of 1/4 x 2 cold rolled steel plates to fit the knob & deadbolt, embedded them in the door jambs, and bolted them through to the frame. Long bolts on the hinges, and the steel door is like a light vault door. If you kick it, you'll hobble away a failure, and I'd imagine even the police rams would injure wrists more than the door. You could move to a window or whatever, but surprise has been lost. Lights and cameras are still the best. Run them off before they try.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    You have to do a little more than turn the door around. I thought everyone would understand that.

No, that's not the way it works...you have to explain things. That's how people learn. When you turned your doors around, did you have to explain to people not to stand in front of them when you opened them, or does everyone who came to your door have a broken nose.

Silverslider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    it is sad we have to spend so much money and effort to fortify our homes. i wish we could go back to the days when everyone just left their doors unlocked without worry of pillagers. i leave mine unlocked. it just seems logical. i live way out in the country. no one would hear an alarm and by the time police arrived they would be long gone. two of my doors are large glass panels with views of the woods and pond. i figure if someone wants in they will just break the glass. so why have them trash the doors and house when they can just open and enter. nothing much to steal in here anyways; older model TV and computer, DVDs, furniture, etc. i keep everything of value locked in the safe. if most of the burglaries are snatch and grab, they would be very disappointed at my house. i do keep my out building fortified and locked (tools and toys). it would be a challenge for someone to get in there. They would need a battering ram. i do lock the doors each night when we go to bed to keep my wife at peace.

Top Bottom