• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I ran into him some years ago following a home invasion in Carmel. The victim (who was also a dirtbag), pointed us to Mr. Roudebush's property where he had some other people (also dirtbags) renting a home on his property (probably about 200 yrds away from his residence). We set up a perimeter, clearly announcing who were were, County, WPD, CPD but the occupants inside refused to exit. What they did do, is call Carl, and tell him that there were people outside the house w/guns trying to break in.
    Well, Carl decides to take matters into his own hands, and walks from his home to the renters (in an attempt to assist him) with a M14, and two handguns in tow. It could have ended VERY badly, as he was intent finding out what was going on. He ended up getting tackled and disarmed, and man he was pissed.
    After we "brush him off," and the situation handled, I walked him back to his home, and explained the entire situation to him. He was still pissed, and actually filed a complaint, but he specifically cited that he had no complaint against me. He ended up evicting his tenets, and I've always had a very high opinion of him. I'm not going to put all of his business out there, but lets just say that he used to own a large part of what is now the northwestern part of Carmel.

That was the second time, I had someone point a gun, in my direction, in Westfield. After that, I switched districts. ;)

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Pretty damn scary situation. Fortunately the man is alive. These are some pretty balsey MFers to roll up on a guy they knew owned guns. I guess they were pretty confident in themselves. Hopefully they trip up and get caught.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    You can't be switched on 100% of the time, I don't care who you are. If somebody wants to do you harm, they WILL find your weak point. I carry always or am within reach of a weapon always. I vary my routines and try to practice good OPSEC but there is still the chance that if I was targeted, I could be hit. Prepare but don't think you are superman.

Bob

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    cctv would be a good start. Criminals don't like when you have video of them. You can find decent systems at Costco.

Yep... we bought a 4 camera system about 9mo's ago from Costco for around $350 for our business and it has already saved us hundreds and hundreds of dollars in petty theft to our inventory... and we have yet to even check the tapes. They are decent deterrents for petty stuff.

(I can tell by looking at my inventory counts since then)

I don't know if its gonna stop a serial killer hell bent on taking your life, but it might make common thieves think twice about picking your home as a target.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    This would be about impossible to guard against

No it is not impossible to guard against. Situational awareness goes a long way. Once he was home and the door was coming down he thought he was safe, a dog would have made a big difference. My dog has pinned two dirt bags trying to break in. One at my house while I was next door and I had no idea someone was even trying to break in my garage until the dog chased him and pinned him to a tree.

Situational Awareness
    Dog
    Cameras

If all three of the above were in place this break in might not have happened.

Remember just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you.

I don't carry when I'm in my pJs. Should I start?

I do, the only time I am not armed is when I'm in shower and then there is a handgun within reach.

cctv would be a good start. Criminals don't like when you have video of them. You can find decent systems at Costco.

Cameras are always a good idea. Yes in this case perhaps the dirtbags were very determined and well prepared. They did some planing for this home invasion. So perhaps cameras alone would not have prevented it. But cameras are a important part of layered security.

You can't be switched on 100% of the time, I don't care who you are. If somebody wants to do you harm, they WILL find your weak point. I carry always or am within reach of a weapon always. I vary my routines and try to practice good OPSEC but there is still the chance that if I was targeted, I could be hit. Prepare but don't think you are superman.

Bob

That is why you need layered security. Overlapping security measures, I still say a good dog in addition to the other things already mentioned might just have been the thing to stop or slow these guys down enough to allowed the victim to get his weapon into play. Who knows if the victim had enough security in place it might have deterred these guys in the first place.

My neighbor across the street put in an alarm system. That didn't stop the break ins. So then he bought a pitbull, that only slowed them down. Once they broke the patio door they stood outside and tried to kill the pitbull by throwing cinder blocks at it. The only thing that put a stop to the break ins was we passed the word we would no longer call the cops. Once the alarm went off we would take care of it ourselves (the neighbors would take care of it) that was it, once the word was out that was the end of the break ins.

What every neighborhood needs is a armed retired Marine that is home most of the time. That seems to be a big factor in our neighborhood. ;)

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers

Bob

Bob is a humble man. If folks knew Bob's entire background/resume/experience, you would know why his opinion carries great weight with me.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    PM- I'm just a guy with another opinion and we know what opinions are like;)

Top dog- The retired Marine is the best idea I've heard. If I knew about your doggies, and was a thief which I'm not, I would show up early and kill them. Then after I "captured" you I would deal with the CCTV's and all recordings. You can MINIMZE the threat but ANYBODY can be got.:twocents:

Semper Fi :D

Bob

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    PM- I'm just a guy with another opinion and we know what opinions are like;)

Top dog- The retired Marine is the best idea I've heard. If I knew about your doggies, and was a thief which I'm not, I would show up early and kill them. Then after I "captured" you I would deal with the CCTV's and all recordings. You can MINIMZE the threat but ANYBODY can be got.:twocents:

Semper Fi :D

Bob

That is absolutely true. But the more you prepare the less you bleed. That also is an absolute truth.

No plan is without flaws. For that matter they could have built a house around a tank and waited for him to come home then just run him over before he got into his garage. Just depends to what lengths a thief is willing to go to in order to achieve his goal.

The greater number of reasonable steps you take for your security the more secure you are, the less likely you will be targeted in the first place and the greater your chance of surviving such an encounter.

Hind sight is 20/20 and what if's are free.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    That is absolutely true. But the more you prepare the less you bleed. That also is an absolute truth.

No plan is without flaws. For that matter they could have built a house around a tank and waited for him to come home then just run him over before he got into his garage. Just depends to what lengths a thief is willing to go to in order to achieve his goal.

The greater number of reasonable steps you take for your security the more secure you are, the less likely you will be targeted in the first place and the greater your chance of surviving such an encounter.

Hind sight is 20/20 and what if's are free.

We have a winner!!!!:rockwoot:

'Nuff said.

Bob

Top Bottom