• 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Blazer News | Blazer 91.1 WVUB HD1

Heard from my son that his ex-house mates in Vincennes were the victim of a home invasion last night. From what he heard, at around 8:30, someone knocked on the front door. When one of the guys went to answer it, four guys with at least one gun pushed their way in. They held the folks in the house at gunpoint, making them lay on the floor, while they grabbed their wallets. When one of the guys was found with only about $5 on him, they threatened to 'cap' him right there for holding out and discharged a round into the floor near him. It's not known whether or not the discharge was a mistake or an attempt to intimidate him though.

The four took off before the police got there and have not been caught. The thing that scares the hell out of me was that if my son had been attending the spring semester, he would have been there and would have been carrying. He always carried in the house, but let nobody else there know he even had a weapon. As it was, he came back to Indy since their flight program had been moved away from Vincennes. I hate to think what would have happened if he were there with his PF9 as his only defense.

This reinforces our decision to carry in the home, but it also has made the need for training even more critical. Since leaving Vincennes, he has been carrying a full size CZ 75 in place of the PF9. Both of us need to get serious about training. He was lucky in terms of timing this time around, but if there's a next time, we need to rely on skill, not luck.

RedCell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
    Yikes, that's scary. Sounds like a peephole would have been worth it's weight in gold that night.

I'm about to go through the same thing with my PF9... The only thing that it is shooting reliably is Corbon and that stuff is WAY too hot for the size of this gun.

Glad to see that your son "dodged the bullet" last night!

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    http://blazer911wvub.com/allnews/?entryid=11493
    This reinforces our decision to carry in the home, but it also has made the need for training even more critical. Since leaving Vincennes, he has been carrying a full size CZ 75 in place of the PF9. Both of us need to get serious about training. He was lucky in terms of timing this time around, but if there's a next time, we need to rely on skill, not luck.

Come and see us. We have a wide variety of training courses that will hone your skills and better prepare you for carrying a firearm at home and in public.

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    A CZ75 is a 1000% upgrade that he polymer POS he was carrying. I grew up near Vincennes (Bicknel) and know that there is only two types of crime there: bull****, nothing crime, or full-on "Holy ****!" crime. I'm glad it was the first case in this instance.
    Tell your son to to Piggy Banc Pawn and get an AR though.

Heard from my son that his ex-house mates in Vincennes were the victim of a home invasion last night. From what he heard, at around 8:30, someone knocked on the front door. When one of the guys went to answer it, four guys with at least one gun pushed their way in. They held the folks in the house at gunpoint, making them lay on the floor, while they grabbed their wallets. When one of the guys was found with only about $5 on him, they threatened to 'cap' him right there for holding out and discharged a round into the floor near him. It's not known whether or not the discharge was a mistake or an attempt to intimidate him though.

The four took off before the police got there and have not been caught. The thing that scares the hell out of me was that if my son had been attending the spring semester, he would have been there and would have been carrying. He always carried in the house, but let nobody else there know he even had a weapon. As it was, he came back to Indy since their flight program had been moved away from Vincennes. I hate to think what would have happened if he were there with his PF9 as his only defense.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Yeah, I saw some Facebook posts relating to this last night. I'm up at school right now so I didn't see the local news at home. Scary stuff though. Makes you wonder if they just randomly picked the house and why... Kind of weird for four guys to just force themselves into a random house to rob them. Maybe it's not weird and I'm naive?

sicegcivic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Call me paranoid, or call me prepared... I never answer the door to people I do not know w/o my gun. And it is sitting on the coffee table right in front of me with extra mag to keep it company!

I'm glad to hear the situation turned out alright, and i am glad your son is safe!

heisenberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Call me paranoid, or call me prepared... I never answer the door to people I do not know w/o my gun.

I wouldn't call you paranoid - I don't answer the door for anyone I don't know, period. Now that walks the line of paranoia, but I'll gladly walk it for one less potential danger.

jwhites4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    They don't call it the "Dirty V" for nothin. I hadent heard about this, I'm glad I got on here to be in the know.

JoshuaRWhite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    South Bend, Indiana
    I look out the window first to see who it is and if it's no one I know I just go back to whatever I was doing. And it hasn't happened yet but if they persist I'll just rack the pump on my 12ga. That should tell them "No Loitering."

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Both of us need to get serious about training. He was lucky in terms of timing this time around, but if there's a next time, we need to rely on skill, not luck.

Personal Protection in the Home would be perfect. We'll be teaching that course monthly as soon as Eagle Creek Pistol Range opens this Spring.

Guy

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011

Carry in the house?

jamesg likely thinks you are a paranoid hair triggered gun nut just itching to spray hot lead at somebody.

I, on the other hand, would say you are being wise in addressing your individual responsibility for the protection of your family, your property and yourself.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    A co-worker tried to tell me that the people being home invaded have always done something to bring the riff raff into their lives. I tried to tell her that anyone can be a victim but she wouldn't budge. I pray she never finds out.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I live here and thats the first I heard of this. After reading the article I'm not surprised as to who the perps were. I have found myself carrying around the house now for a couple months, I think I will continue that.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    The reason I let my great dane answer the door when I'm not expecting any one. He has scared more than one person off the porch to the sidwalk so they do their talking from at least 10 feet away from the closed screen door.

Eric05

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    New Palestine
    The reason I let my great dane answer the door when I'm not expecting any one. He has scared more than one person off the porch to the sidwalk so they do their talking from at least 10 feet away from the closed screen door.

When I lived with my parents in high school I would answer the door with my full size doberman pinscher. Probably the most harmless dog ever but no body knew that. I would call her a boys name or something fierce to give off an impression that she was mean. People would od the same thing and back up once they saw her. I think a dog is one of the best deterrents you could have.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    When I lived with my parents in high school I would answer the door with my full size doberman pinscher. Probably the most harmless dog ever but no body knew that. I would call her a boys name or something fierce to give off an impression that she was mean. People would od the same thing and back up once they saw her. I think a dog is one of the best deterrents you could have.

Cooper loves to bark when some one knocks at the door. Hes always on the couch with me or near me. So when he starts barking I quietly encourage him too. So he gets all riled up. Hes a big dog with a big bark.

Last summer i heard a nasty sounding truck pull up and the doors open and close. Coopers ears perked. A knock at the door and he starts barking. I got down by his hear saying "watch em, watch em! speak speak!" he barking like mad. I grab his collar we walk to the door, he nearly pulling me over "watch em watch em" i whisper. I open the door and cooper lunges at the screen door barking like mad. The guy on the porch jumped back wards and out of his skin. Eyes the size of hub caps for a roadmaster. Cooper is still lunging at the door and barking. The guy puts his skin back on and checks his shorts... "you...you need your lawn mowed?" "Nope, planning on taking care of it in the morning." Cooper chimes in with his :twocents: as a low growl. The person, thanked me and walked back to his truck. I'm not saying the guy wasn't legit but now he knows there is a huge dog here and it will not tolerate any foolishness.

I closed the door, gave Cooper lots of pettins and gave him a treat.

Never saw that guy or his truck again.

Top Bottom