• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    So I came home from fishing this evening to find my neighbor on my porch talking to my wife. They have a garage that has half of it turned into an apartment. Seems this morning after the lady that lives there went to church someone broke in and robed her of jewelry and a gun she had. Now I know very little about this lady, but from the few details I know it sounds a lot like an inside job.
    The area I live in is not a bad area at all. But someone had to know when she left for church. There are no side walks in my neighborhood. And no places to sit in a car and watch the house without raising suspicion. But who knows someone could have just seen her leave and took the opportunity. (I don't know) but now I am very much disturbed about what has happened. With that said. I want to look into home alarms.

Now I don't want one of those monthly pay security systems. They are pretty much crap in my book. What I want is to wake the neighbors out of a dead sleep and let them all know that something is going on that shouldn't be. Has anyone came up with this kind of security system and if so can someone point me in the correct direction.
    Thanks in advance!:nailbite:

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    Depends how far you want to go.

You can rig up some cameras and an old computer with ZoneMinder easy enough.

There may be some proprietary systems (without monitoring).

But if you really want to go the DIY route, look into the Arduino or IOIO board. A lot of work but the possibilities are unlimited.

Or - Home Security Burglar Alarms, DIY Home Security

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Depends how far you want to go.

You can rig up some cameras and an old computer with ZoneMinder easy enough.

There may be some proprietary systems (without monitoring).

But if you really want to go the DIY route, look into the Arduino or IOIO board. A lot of work but the possibilities are unlimited.

Or - Home Security Burglar Alarms, DIY Home Security

sounds like he wants more security system that CCTV. He wanted something to make noise, although if it IS an inside job it would be a nice addition to a security system to bust whomever decides to break in again.

check out smarthome.com and other places. There are quite a few wireless DIY security systems that operate 100% on wireless/motion sensors that sound like they may be a good fit. (frys has them on the shelf as well)

No, its not a pro install, but it sounds like its a limited space to cover so if all you want to do is allow her to have the system make a LOT of noise when someone enters that doesnt know the code this could be a good fit.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    sounds like he wants more security system that CCTV. He wanted something to make noise, although if it IS an inside job it would be a nice addition to a security system to bust whomever decides to break in again.

check out smarthome.com and other places. There are quite a few wireless DIY security systems that operate 100% on wireless/motion sensors that sound like they may be a good fit. (frys has them on the shelf as well)

No, its not a pro install, but it sounds like its a limited space to cover so if all you want to do is allow her to have the system make a LOT of noise when someone enters that doesnt know the code this could be a good fit.

I believe there is a standard called X10 automation or something like that. Might be worth researching.

Although, OP, you know monitoring is not the $35 that those companies charge - you can get it for much less directly. The markup is for the subsidized equipment they give you on signup.

I knew a guy who sold these for a living, only $8 (I think) of the monthly fee went to the monitoring company.

I would definitely be more comfortable with the monitoring myself. YMMV.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have a home security system that has two kinds of monitors. It has detectors on the windows and doors that alarm if the window or door opens. In addition, I just upgraded the system to install motion detectors in certain key areas of the house, and plan to add more later. The advantage of the motion detectors is in case someone breaks a window and enters without actually opening it. Finally, with the upgrade I also installed a cell backup. This means that if someone cuts your phone line thinking they will disable the alarm system, the cell backup will automatically send a signal through a cellular connection. I think its a very comprehensive system, and hard to defeat. I like the ability to add more motion detectors on as I want to pay for them - one time cost per detector. I pay $102 per quarter, total of $408 annually.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You can also get the monitoring significantly cheaper from a locally owned company by paying for the T&M up front. Cheaper monthly monitoring AND no contract!

Beware of self installs that are professionally monitored. Most municipalities have fines for excessive false alarms. An improperly installed system that trips repeatedly can quickly cost you hundreds of dollars in citations. :(

Oh, and I dont think any around here are that cash strapped, but I have seen stories across the country that unless the system is advanced enough to include integrated audio/video where the monitoring company can prove in real time that a bad guy is indeed wandering around rummaging through your stuff by looking at a camera output over the internet, they wont dispatch an officer. So much for the added security of the cops getting there before the bad guys get away. Apparently they dont have time to run around chasing false alarms because they are dealing with too many first-person 911 dispatches.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Oh, and I dont think any around here are that cash strapped, but I have seen stories across the country that unless the system is advanced enough to include integrated audio/video where the monitoring company can prove in real time that a bad guy is indeed wandering around rummaging through your stuff by looking at a camera output over the internet, they wont dispatch an officer. So much for the added security of the cops getting there before the bad guys get away. Apparently they dont have time to run around chasing false alarms because they are dealing with too many first-person 911 dispatches.

In some counties if you have a monitered system you are charged a monthly fee(by the county) to cover any dispatches.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Lovely. They charge you extra to do what they are paid out of your taxed to do in the first place.

I can see the rationale behind it assuming the monitoring system makes automated calls to dispatch.

It's kinda funny how the alarm companies and property owners get their :poop: together and arrange/adjust/fix stuff to not send false alarms when they get fined for them. Also good for the rest of us who have to pay for the public resources to follow up on false alarms. Not to mention that those resources get tied up with false alarms and aren't available or slowed to the real emergency calls.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    Real easy. Use a motion detector like one that would turn on a light, but instead of a light, if sends electricity to the coil on a magnetic starter. The starter is in line to a good old federal signal air raid siren mounted on your roof. Easy, and very effective.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Just have to pry up a board and put a long nail in it that will strike a primer on a 12ga blank. The trick is in getting the perp to step on the board.:draw:

jerryv

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Evansville
    Google a system called SimpliSafe. All wireless, so very easy to install. You decide what kinds of sensors, and how many, you want to install. It can trigger local alarms, so can be used standalone. It can also be monitored very inexpensively .. around $15/month as I recall. Uses cell phone technology for monitoring, so even if phone lines are cut, it still works. If I were going to install a new system, I think this is the route I'd take.

Top Bottom