homeland security/ emergency management schooling.....?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • strong89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Having a job that really isnt goin anywhere, i have started to think of what im goin to do with my life... my girlfriend is goin back to school to be an RN, and ive been thinkin of doin some good with my life aswell. My dad was a firefighter for 14 years as well as a first responder, and i still know a lot of the guys on that side of help, and it is something i like doing... the last few weeks ive been thinkin about a career change and im lookin into homeland security/ emergency management kinda work.. what kinda schooling does one need? what are some of the options i'd have after schooling? i need some help, so please give me your input. thanks y'all!

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    DHS??? So YOU'RE the guy who wants to confiscate our guns??? :draw: DHS doesn't have a good reputation round these parts. Can't you think of something else?? Anything??? There are a LOT of male RNs these days. Any thought of going to school with your girl? Seriously.

strong89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    i would never try to take our guns, thats suicide. i like helping people. besides i know dhs isnt all bout taking our guns. they do some useful stuff... like bein an air marshal...

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    i would never try to take our guns, thats suicide. i like helping people. besides i know dhs isnt all bout taking our guns. they do some useful stuff... like bein an air marshal...

There's a DHS/ICE office in my building. I see US Marshalls on the elevator in my building frequently that work at that office. Being a US Marshal would be a great career. They have a website, you should check it for how to pursue a career with them. Best of luck to you. U.S. Marshals Service, Career Opportunities

There's a whole bunch of LEOs on this website, hopefully they will chime in with some better detail.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    There's a DHS/ICE office in my building. I see US Marshalls on the elevator in my building frequently that work at that office. Being a US Marshal would be a great career. They have a website, you should check it for how to pursue a career with them. Best of luck to you. U.S. Marshals Service, Career Opportunities

There's a whole bunch of LEOs on this website, hopefully they will chime in with some better detail.

Not trying to discourage him but becoming a US Marshall isn't just something you decide to do one day. The son of a lady my dad knows was/is trying to become a US Marshall. He graduated at the top of his class, worked in LE for several years, went to school got a degree and worked more LE all for the explicit purpose of becoming a Marshall. The qualification exam alone is very, very extensive and thats just to get your resume on somebody's desk... from every indication I've seen the career of a US Marshall is one you set out to do from High School and you work very diligently and hard at it for years and still no guarantees...

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    DHS??? So YOU'RE the guy who wants to confiscate our guns??? :draw: DHS doesn't have a good reputation round these parts. Can't you think of something else?? Anything??? There are a LOT of male RNs these days. Any thought of going to school with your girl? Seriously.

Who are you to **** on his goal in life?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Having a job that really isnt goin anywhere, i have started to think of what im goin to do with my life... my girlfriend is goin back to school to be an RN, and ive been thinkin of doin some good with my life aswell. My dad was a firefighter for 14 years as well as a first responder, and i still know a lot of the guys on that side of help, and it is something i like doing... the last few weeks ive been thinkin about a career change and im lookin into homeland security/ emergency management kinda work.. what kinda schooling does one need? what are some of the options i'd have after schooling? i need some help, so please give me your input. thanks y'all!

Are you in any kind of public safety now? The Center for Domestic Preparedness in Anniston, Alabama offers numerous free on-site classes in different areas of the public safety/emergency management. TEEX (can't remember what it stands for, Google it) offers several free online classes as well. You could look into getting a job with the Indiana DHS or Indiana Task Force 1 also.

strong89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Are you in any kind of public safety now? The Center for Domestic Preparedness in Anniston, Alabama offers numerous free on-site classes in different areas of the public safety/emergency management. TEEX (can't remember what it stands for, Google it) offers several free online classes as well. You could look into getting a job with the Indiana DHS or Indiana Task Force 1 also.
    That sounds like a good plan... No I'm not in any kind of public safety now. I have been use to it before though... Thanks!

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    My advice? Plumbing. Had a plumber here a few weeks back...spent 20 minutes working on the issue. $110.00 was the fee. He was self employed. Not too bad. You can also go the the FEMA website and look into taking the NIMS (National Incident Management System) courses. They are free, but your progress is logged. Many public service type jobs require some or all of the NIMS courses to be taken and passed.

Then there is also the FEMA- EMI Independent Study programs you can check into as well.

Good luck!

Top Bottom