• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    My wife and I are in the search of home builders that will build on a lot that we are purchasing in eastern hancock county. We are looking for the larger builders that will offer set floor plans and pricing that we can slightly tweak to our needs. We are looking for a place where we can shop current floor plans. Our budget for hopefully a 4 bedroom (3 is doable for the right plan/price) 2.5 bath house, w/ a first floor master. Or a ranch (if the price is right), is less than 200k.

Lockridge seems to be the cheapest and the most user friendly website. Taylor is to pricey, as is drees. Who else is there besides arbor?

Last edited:

Shoe69b

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Just remembered that are friend of mine had TK Builders build his home. They did a good job. Just some slow contractors here and there. I saw the house completed and it looked good.
    I know Hallmark can be a little hit and miss I did they dirt work for a few years. The person that owns North Homes used to work for Hallmark.
    Good luck with your search.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Steer clear of Arbor. I made that mistake and they have been a pain to deal with even on warranty items. Have you checked with Beazer? I have a friend that is a superintendent for them and have been in several of their models.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have nothing to add other then if I were to be building a home, I would seriously take a look at what Hornadylnl did.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    If you get a chance to work with a guy by the name of Ken Napier, take a bullet to the head. It would be a lot less painful for all involved. He is a theif and has a reputaion of burning not only customers, but also vendors. Ask me how I know.

Take a look at a builder by the name of Keith Whiting of Whiting Custom Homes. Not sure what your budget numbers are, but Keith will give you a straight shot on what he can do.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I have heard bad things about...

You can hear some "bad things" about all of them. It is the nature of the beast. I remember reading that building a home is one of the most stressfull undertaking the average person can experience.

You factor the investment, myriad of decisions, what you think is acceptable vs industry standard, living arrangement while house is being built, possible inactivity during phases of construction during ideal weather, etc all combine to put pressure on the individual and their relationships.

Some go into the process with unrealistic expectations which is a recipe for disaster. Patience, patience, patience.

Scattered site building is challenging. The location that you are building should be a plus in that the subcontractor base is most likely near. The process could very well unfold without a hitch. These will be the glowing reviews.

There are 3 possible attributes of this process: time, price and quality. Pick two for you will not achieve all three.

I would read reviews and check out the BBB and see what the negative reports are and how that aligns with my 2 selections above. Be aware of the financial stability of the company and know the contract that you sign. The contract covers their butt, not yours. You will have little to no recourse if things turn south.

ENJOY...

Jroe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Greenfield
    You may want to check on Ryland, they usually build in neighborhoods but I wired a few offsite. They are decently built for the price with lots of options. Good luck!

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    I would try some of the customs builders out there (with in the county), you might be surprised. Dick Williams (his son Scott) built our home in 1994 (in New Pal) and did a super job. At that time it ran about $55/sq ft, but don't know about now. Good Luck... Grizhicks

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Having purchased a home that Ryland built, their homes are nice but their support SUCKS. They graded and seeded our backyard a few months back the day of a major storm (everybody knew it was coming) and they absolutely refused to come re-do it. I have roughly a 40 degree decline down by back yard and now it's eroded to the point of being dangerous while Ryland argued with me about repairing their screwup. I paid a good amount on this house and the fact they're refusing to throw down grass seed and regrade (when the neighborhood is still being built and it would be pretty easy) is absolutely atrocious. I hate them with a passion.

You may want to check on Ryland, they usually build in neighborhoods but I wired a few offsite. They are decently built for the price with lots of options. Good luck!

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I have heard nothing but good remarks about TK.

Also the same goes for UBuildIt, if you want a little more customization options and take on more of a "project manager" role.

Top Bottom