Homes defense guns other than AR, AK & Shotgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Biggest question i have is he prepared and able to use it to defend himself ??? So many people think that just showing you have a weapon is a deterrent but in reality a lot of those folks get it taken away and used on them or another person.
    Super important point. $3k worth of two stamp rifle is just a loot drop if your mindset isn't in order.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have several lever guns and the 92 clones are light and maneuverable for use indoors. If he started with a 18-20" 357 magnum he could use both 38 and 357. He could also work his way up to a revolver in the same caliber. For a novice shooter a rifle is always the best choice to start on.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Some 38 wad cutters would make it a kitten for a noob.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Without wading through four pages of previous responses I will totally agree with your levergun idea in your original post.

Lever guns are very reliable if worked forcefully, a .357 has a lot more power out of a 16+” barrel and less blast than a handgun. Easily maneuverable in tighter quarters and with a little practice are quick to shoot. Keeping the mag topped off is one of the harder parts.

A Marlin with a skinner sight in it and a simple sling if he needs to grab a child or whatever would work well. Or, if a Rossi is more readily available, they make peep sights that replace the bolt mounted safety. I would highly recommend a peep sight especially for a newer shooter.

Let him start out with some light .38 loads and fire a few full power magnums so he understands it has some serious power. This may sound stupid but maybe have him watch some CAS ‘how to’ videos on levergun shooting g so he understands they can be fast and accurate and so he learns simple stuff like keeping it shouldered while levering the action as opposed to dropping it down to waist level like you see so many folk do.

Both of my boys have lever action .357’s as their first guns. They are very versatile and have many uses. Plinking, hunting, home and self defense, competitive use etc.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've been slowing shuffling some youtube channels his way. I started with a "GarandThumb" - urban survival video. Then I got him watching "Actiove Self Protection" so he could see some real world as it happens types of scenarios. I think he's on the right track and picking it up quickly, but he started at zero and has a lot of catching up to do getting ready for game day.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

TBpoints3.gif

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I'm trying to think of options for him that are easy on the eye from an urban perspective. The #1 I can think of is a nice blued & wood stocked lever action in something like 357mag.

He's expressed interest in a handgun too, but I have no idea of how high a mountain that is to climb in Chicago Illinois.

I'm sure some of you have faced similar challenges with friends & family so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I have a college buddy in Ohio who isn't not into 'full artillery ' when it comes to home and personal defense but figured out (with some practice) that he is 'okay' with shooting a revolver. He figured out that he's more comfortable with both the loading / reloading process, as well as with the shooting mechanism of a revolver, than he is with a semi-auto pistol.
    He's a rather large guy (6' 6" and 350#) and has a 6" Ruger GP100 with a Hogue rubber grip (he picked it up used) and is wanting a lever-action rifle in .357 magnum to match the caliber! The nice part is that he has the option to purchase and shoot .38 special through the revolver to practice with without all the felt-recoil! Sometimes, skills are developed with less felt-recoil.
    He also has a Mossberg 590 tactical shotgun that he keeps next to his bed.
    Biggest thing I've found is that it's important to help an individual find something that they're comfortable with, what they can obtain ammunition for, and what they can practice with regularly (once per month is a good minimum?)

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I’ll echo the lever gun option as being high on the list. Use lighter, less expensive .38 for practice, hot defensive loads for actual defense (provided he’s willing to learn the differences in POA/POI), plenty of capacity, light recoil, and pretty easy to run. Loading one at a time through a loading gate would likely be the main downfall (along with short stroking under stress).

As effective as they are, I steer new shooters away from shotguns. They’re devastatingly effective in trained hands, but they take a LOT of dedicated practice to run them efficiently (just like revolvers). They generally have higher recoil, loading through a loading gate takes more practice, and then knowing your gun’s pattern is also incredibly important. They’re not really a casual owner’s best choice, IMO.

But I did see at least one other option for a .22. I know that seems odd, but a 10/22 loaded with some of the more modern defensive loads would be very effective. Zero recoil, easy to shoot and use overall, and you can put a LOT of accurate lead down range very quickly. For a newer shooter, they’re not an awful option if they can at least put rounds where they belong.

Handguns are amazing tools, but they’re even harder to shoot accurately than any option above. If he wants to deal with the hassle of getting one, and is willing to commit to learning it, it would be a great option. But if he’s looking for something with a lower barrier to entry, I’d go .357 lever gun if it were me.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    But I did see at least one other option for a .22. I know that seems odd, but a 10/22 loaded with some of the more modern defensive loads would be very effective. Zero recoil, easy to shoot and use overall, and you can put a LOT of accurate lead down range very quickly. For a newer shooter, they’re not an awful option if they can at least put rounds where they belong.
    I've often said that if I had to select just one caliber, I'd select a .22lr...and a 10/22 would top that list.
    You can do a lot with it, develop most of the safety and gun handling skills, and practice...
    Learning how to shoot with mild recoil goes a long way towards developing accurate shooting skills.
    Picking up a couple of extra 15 or 25 round magazines would enhance the defensive mode capabilities.
    Bulk ammo is available and one can acquire a decent amount for practice for a reasonable cost...
    And, one can pick up a pistol or revolver in .22lr to go along with the rifle would give an individual an optional platform for home / personal defense.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have a college buddy in Ohio who isn't not into 'full artillery ' when it comes to home and personal defense but figured out (with some practice) that he is 'okay' with shooting a revolver. He figured out that he's more comfortable with both the loading / reloading process, as well as with the shooting mechanism of a revolver, than he is with a semi-auto pistol.
    He's a rather large guy (6' 6" and 350#) and has a 6" Ruger GP100 with a Hogue rubber grip (he picked it up used) and is wanting a lever-action rifle in .357 magnum to match the caliber! The nice part is that he has the option to purchase and shoot .38 special through the revolver to practice with without all the felt-recoil! Sometimes, skills are developed with less felt-recoil.
    He also has a Mossberg 590 tactical shotgun that he keeps next to his bed.
    Biggest thing I've found is that it's important to help an individual find something that they're comfortable with, what they can obtain ammunition for, and what they can practice with regularly (once per month is a good minimum?)
    As my dad gets older he has trouble shooting the full power loads he used to enjoy.
    I load a 300gr bullet in a 44 magnum case that is basically a 45 Colt in power.
    I took the load data of the 300gr 45 Colt and applied it to the 300gr 44 magnum load. It shoots around 725 fps avg and has 350 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle. The heavy bullet will penetrate deep, and it has light recoil. He absolutely loves them.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    If he wants a shotgun, Mossberg 940 is hard to beat.
    Don't underestimate tube feed guns. They have an advantage over mag feed.
    They can be loaded a few at a time in between shots. They gun won't be "down" to reload this way.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    As my dad gets older he has trouble shooting the full power loads he used to enjoy.
    I load a 300gr bullet in a 44 magnum case that is basically a 45 Colt in power.
    I took the load data of the 300gr 45 Colt and applied it to the 300gr 44 magnum load. It shoots around 725 fps avg and has 350 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle. The heavy bullet will penetrate deep, and it has light recoil. He absolutely loves them.
    Sometimes...big / fat / slow still gets it done!
    Plus, it's mild recoil allows for a variety of users!

Carmel Corn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Carmel
    Since this thread title mentions AR and AK, I'd also suggest a Ruger Mini 14 or 30 ranch model. Neither are considered AWB's in commie states and therefore should be legal. Going the mini route should include factory Ruger mags (not after market brands). Regarding the Ruger PC Carbine, there is a model that is commie state legal in that you can get a version without the threaded barrel (maybe model 19101?).

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Since this thread title mentions AR and AK, I'd also suggest a Ruger Mini 14 or 30 ranch model. Neither are considered AWB's in commie states and therefore should be legal. Going the mini route should include factory Ruger mags (not after market brands). Regarding the Ruger PC Carbine, there is a model that is commie state legal in that you can get a version without the threaded barrel (maybe model 19101?).
    Not in Cook County
    Shall include, but not be limited to, the assault weapons models identified as follows: The following rifles or copies or duplicates thereof:
    (xvii) Sturm, Ruger Mini14;

Top Bottom