• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    What do you guys think? Sign the petition if you agree.

CAP Our Property Tax!

This site has been created in order to bring together citizens of Indiana to pressure the Indiana Legislature to allow a referendum, so Hoosiers can vote to Amend the State Constitution to guarantee the current property tax CAPs stay at 1% 2% and 3%! We hope to educate and urge Indiana residents to contact their state representatives and force them to vote "YES" on this important issue. Let's work together and LET'S MAKE THE 'CAPS' PERMANENT!
    YouTube - Porter County Commisioner Harper Discusses Indiana's Property Tax

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXbNEW49iRs

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    UPDATE

Its making its way!

Constitutional Property Tax Caps Pass House, Advance to Senate

January 15, 2010

STATEHOUSE- House Republican Leader Brian Bosma (R-Indianapolis) released the following statement today in response to the passage of HJR1, the constitutional amendment to permanently cap property taxes in Indiana. The measure passed the House by a vote of 75 to 23.

"This is a historic moment for Indiana and a great day for Hoosier taxpayers; I look forward to swift action by the Senate so we can be assured that every Hoosier taxpayer can vote to permanently cap their property taxes on Nov. 4."

In response to the property tax crisis that homeowners experienced in 2007, the Indiana General Assembly passed legislation in 2008 that capped homeowner's property taxes at one percent, rental and agricultural property at two percent and business property at three percent. The bill passed with an 82-17 vote in the House and 41-6 vote in the Senate.

House Republicans pledged to add this reform to the Indiana State Constitution. In order for a new provision to be added to the state constitution, it must be passed by two separately elected General Assemblies as well as the public before it can be amended to the constitution. If the constitutional amendment to permanently cap property taxes passes both chambers of the Indiana General Assembly during the 2010 legislative session, Hoosiers will be able to vote on this issue in the November 2010 election.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    What is this capped at and for?

If this only caps the % they can raise each it each time they want to, it only limits the damage of any one increase.

Now on the other hand, if they decided to limit the taxes at a specific rate or % of assessed value then the only increase would be done by an increase in valuation of the property.

Which one is it?

I know my parents were pretty wound up when this happened, but the method/language the politicians use as a fix might not be what everyone thinks either.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    While I would like to see complete repeal of the state rent on my property, or at least not taxing property on those over a certain age, a one percent tax on private property is a step in the right direction, but is a two percent tax on rental properties, and three percent on business (if I remember correctly) really fair?

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    What is this capped at and for?

If this only caps the % they can raise each it each time they want to, it only limits the damage of any one increase.

Now on the other hand, if they decided to limit the taxes at a specific rate or % of assessed value then the only increase would be done by an increase in valuation of the property.

Which one is it?

I know my parents were pretty wound up when this happened, but the method/language the politicians use as a fix might not be what everyone thinks either.

The cap is on PROPERTY TAXES in the State of Indiana only.
    Property tax would be 1% of the value of your primary house.
    Property tax would be 2% of the value of a rental house you own.
    Property tax would be 3% of the value of any commercial bldg you own.

This is currently the rates that are written into law by the Indiana legislation that occurred several years ago (2 i think). Opposition to writing this into the INDIANA CONSITUTION say that since his is already written into law there is no need to write it into the constitution. The problem with this is that the current or future legislators (read POLITICANS) can change it whenever they like. By having it written into the CONSTITUTION it can ONLY be changed by the majority vote of the PEOPLE! So politicians will have to live within their means and NOT spend like craZy!

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    The only problem I see is that they seem to have no standards for assessing the value of a home and property. For example, I'm currently paying taxes based on the appraised value of my home during the housing bubble, which has been collapsed for several years. Even with my homestead deduction and tax cap I'm paying taxes on about $30,000-$50,000 more than I could sell my house for.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Why must I sign in support of something illegal, anyhow?

Taxes on something I already own should be ABOLISHED.

To hell with capping them.

That's like letting a dog bite you on your rump ONLY HALF-WAY.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Why should businesses or rental owners pay more than home owners? I do agree that we need to cap them. But all that will happen is they will pass the it off in other new taxes or raise other existing taxes. How about we propose a constitutional amendment that caps spending?

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    They've been raising the assessed value for years, even when the actual value goes down.....

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    HGC - Yes, and that's exactly what is being seen. As a landlord, I wind up passing it on to my customers...

You do the math...

Unfortunately, 99% of Americans have been duped or too stupid to see this. I argue against corporate and business taxes all the time. Watch a local factory get a tax abatement and start reading the opinion letters in the local paper. You'd be amazed at the hatred the people have for Eli Lilly getting a $10k tax abatement yet they have no problem with $700 million plus going to Jim Irsay for a football stadium.

You can argue with people that corporations don't pay taxes but they are conditioned to believe that they should. What they fail to realize is that taxes on a business are built in to the price of the product and passed on down to the consumer every time.

If company x didn't have to pay corporate taxes, how much money would they save not having to employ tax accountants and lawyers? They could pass 100% of the tax savings on to the customer and we'd save money on the product and the business would save money in unnecessary salaries. But again, the American people have been conditioned to believe that those businesses would keep 100% of that savings and never pass that on to the customer. That would be true for about a week until their competition realizes they can undercut them by lowering their prices and sell more product. And then the competition for sales ensues.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Just found this video, adding it to the discussion.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXbNEW49iRs]YouTube - CAP INDIANA'S PROPERTY TAX: FALSE ARGUMENTS #2[/ame]

Top Bottom