• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    I was recently in Academy and came across the new "American Gunner" line of ammo from Hornady. I picked up a few boxes in 357 mag, loaded with the XTP bullet. It seems that this ammo is loaded hot, 1500 fps according to the factory. I don't know if that is optimistic or in a long barrel. It seems that they are not intended for just one purpose but are more of a broad spectrum load.

Has anyone shot any of this ammo yet? Is it good enough for defensive use? I can't determine if the primers are sealed. It is just difficult to tell if this is premium ammo or an economy load at an attractive price. There were 25 rounds in the box for app. $17 if memory serves. I haven't yet had a chance to try them at the range. I do a good bit of revolver shooting and would like to find a quality round at a decent price. For a number of reasons, it seems that 357 mag. ammo tends to be much higher than service caliber jhp's, so the price got my attention.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm pretty sure it will work just fine. Like in 45 acp a 230 jhp is a 230 jhp. In 357 with few exceptions (think Golden Saber) a 125 jhp is a 125 jHP.

You probably won't find a better round for the money.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I don't find paying over 80 cents a round for 45 acp XTP a "good deal" I can find Hornady custom XTP cheaper.

I have carried it in the past...it feeds super reliably.

Top Bottom