Hornady announces new 6mm AR cartridge (6mm ARC)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    In regards to this new cartridge perhaps being a grendel killer, there is already more than one firearms manufacturer getting ready to release AK's in 6.5 Grendel. Palmetto State Armory for one. Don't count out the 6.5 Grendel just yet.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    In regards to this new cartridge perhaps being a grendel killer, there is already more than one firearms manufacturer getting ready to release AK's in 6.5 Grendel. Palmetto State Armory for one. Don't count out the 6.5 Grendel just yet.

I don't think it will kill the utility of the 6.5. Especially in ak's. It may beat it up in some precision applications ar's and short action bolt guns

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I don't think it will kill the utility of the 6.5. Especially in ak's. It may beat it up in some precision applications ar's and short action bolt guns

This^

It’s a more focused round. I’m not sure it will perform as well as the 6.5G from short barrels, but it should excel in the 16” and up range.

It’s also one that I wouldn’t expect to see show up in the AK platform.

It should kill whatever interest was left in the Valkyrie though. Is the Valkyrie still a thing?

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    I’m interested in the cartridge and hope it takes off. I’m thinking this may impact the 224 Valkyrie pretty hard. I put one together right after it came out and havent been a huge fan. Seems they did a better job bringing this to market with several companies already on board and the DoD involved.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    This^

It’s a more focused round. I’m not sure it will perform as well as the 6.5G from short barrels, but it should excel in the 16” and up range.

It’s also one that I wouldn’t expect to see show up in the AK platform.

It should kill whatever interest was left in the Valkyrie though. Is the Valkyrie still a thing?

Federal will keep Valk alive, they have a metric ton of 6.8spc brass. 22nosler on the other hand

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but the case doesn’t look as tapered as a 6.5 Grendel, is this just a Grendel necked down? Either way I’m intrigued. Will be watching this one. Hopefully they don’t have the problems at launch the 224 had.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    https://vimeo.com/418644813

I came across these videos from Hornady. I’ve only watched the barrel length one currently, but it sounds like (from Hornady) that it is capable of performing down to a 12” barrel. Should be interesting to watch this one develop with more options down the road.

Wanderer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Bloomington
    Should push 108s to 2700+ in 18” gun.

Looks like the 2700+ fps MVs will mostly be coming out of longer barrels, at least with factory ammo. With 18" it looks like it'll be more in the 2600-2650 range.

1410997173-6mm-ARC---Velocity-vs-Barrel-Length-infographic.jpg

Nonetheless, looks like this could be a very promising round and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it, especially since I've been thinking of getting a Grendel rifle sometime soon. The 108gr ELD load looks like it has both a higher BC and higher velocities out of the same length barrel compared to 123gr Grendel loads. I'd assume it would have slightly less felt recoil as well on account of the smaller, lighter bullet. I think its long-term success will depend on the availability of cheap range ammo. Wolf's been selling cheap steel-cased Grendel for a while now, and since the 6mm ARC appears to have the same parent case as the Grendel (.220 Russian), I assume it wouldn't be too much trouble for the Russian factories to do the same with this new round.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom