• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I just bought 100 rounds of each. I know balistically they are the same. My question is, what do you guys think of these Hornady rounds? I thought I lost a little accuracy compared to FMJ rounds out of my CM9. No problems feeding. Any comments or opinions?:dunno:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Good round. I have found them to be a lot more accurate in both of my guns. As long as they feed reliability, use them. Shot placement is still king of stopping a fight.

I have a buddy that won't carry the zombie load. His reason is if you need to use it in SD, it POSSIBLY could be used as a negative against you in court. "You are not stable because you think zombies are real. The box the ammo comes in says it is for use on the UNDEAD only. So you walk around with a gun ready to shoot zombies. Nutcase."

His thoughts are he wants as little possible reason for a case against him.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Asking serious questions like this late at night will get you not many serious answers.
    The Zombie Max is no better than the plain-Jane at killing zombies.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I've had no accuracy changes with the two fired back to back from a Beretta PX4.

And I understand your friend being careful, but the Zombie ammunition marketing materials would not be an issue in a criminal trial. If someone attempted to interject the Zombie marketing, they would have to disclose it in pre-trial Discovery and his lawyer would simply motion to have it barred as beyond the scope of the proceedings.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    well said 46321, I would hope so, that or let them and giggle a lot at the idea that anyone would believe Zombies are real.

I use/carry the critical defense but until lately wouldn't buy Zombie Max because they wanted more money for an already expensive round.
    Now that it is filling their warehouses they have dropped the price and I have some to try back to back but haven't had a chance to do so yet.
    I will say, I like the green points better for aesthetic reasons. They are just prettier. LOL

Pharmacist

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    /snip

I have a buddy that won't carry the zombie load. His reason is if you need to use it in SD, it POSSIBLY could be used as a negative against you in court. "You are not stable because you think zombies are real. The box the ammo comes in says it is for use on the UNDEAD only. So you walk around with a gun ready to shoot zombies. Nutcase."

His thoughts are he wants as little possible reason for a case against him.

This actually has some sound logic to it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I've had no accuracy changes with the two fired back to back from a Beretta PX4.

And I understand your friend being careful, but the Zombie ammunition marketing materials would not be an issue in a criminal trial. If someone attempted to interject the Zombie marketing, they would have to disclose it in pre-trial Discovery and his lawyer would simply motion to have it barred as beyond the scope of the proceedings.

You should be right, but I wish I could predict how courts will rule on my pretrial motions that accurately.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm thinking my defense atty would prefer the red plastic plug (or whatever material it is) rather than the green one...

This attorney loads his M&P 9c with Critical Defense with the red.

Chances are, it would never be a problem, but however small the chances are, this is an easy chance to avoid.....until the Zombie Max is significantly cheaper...then, maybe.....

Last edited:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I use Critical Defense in my 642. Very accurate stuff.
    Also have had some Zombie Max I purchased at the 1500 about 2 yrs ago. At the time, it was the only defensive ammo I could find. Turned out to be very accurate.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I can get Zmax cheaper by $1. I like that its brass cased.

Now that I have shot some of both SxS I can't see much difference other than the color of the plastic plug. Both are as accurate and seem to perform similarly though I lack a chrono to say for sure. Both will make a gallon jug of water explode. :)

Zmax is cheaper by at least a buck and sometimes more depending on who's selling and where you find it. For a while they were selling the Zmax bullets and those were dirt cheap compared to other SD reloading bullets in the same calibers. Plus I prefer to have brass cases to reload over nickel, in my experience they last longer. I plan on using the Zmax to practice and the slightly more expensive Critical Defense to carry. Like the one fellow's buddy, I hate giving prosecuting attorneys ammo, pun intended.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I just bought 100 rounds of each. I know balistically they are the same. My question is, what do you guys think of these Hornady rounds? I thought I lost a little accuracy compared to FMJ rounds out of my CM9. No problems feeding. Any comments or opinions?:dunno:

OP says he lost accuracy vs FMJ, not between the two defense loads, which appear to be identical. I suspect the defense loads are just hotter, as well as being more grains, so the slight increase in recoil could explain the change in accuracy for him. Especially if he is shooting from a smaller, lightweight pistol.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood

I haven't shot the Zombie Max but I have shot about 200 rounds of Critical Defense with my Glock 19. That's now what I carry in my EDC.

I carried Speer Gold Dot Hollow points before switching. I compared the two and didn't notice any difference. I switched because my Gold Dot was a year or so old and Critical Defense was all I could find four months ago.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    OP says he lost accuracy vs FMJ, not between the two defense loads, which appear to be identical. I suspect the defense loads are just hotter, as well as being more grains, so the slight increase in recoil could explain the change in accuracy for him. Especially if he is shooting from a smaller, lightweight pistol.
    Thanks for all the input. 4 boxes of CD cost $91.19 shipped. 4 boxes of Zombie Max $86.39. Shipping is a killer. $15.23 per shipment. I like the Zombie Max because of the brass case and the green tip is kinda :cool:. The accuracy problem was minimal. About the same as PMC FMJ. Not quite as good as some El cheapo Russian ammo. It's been so hard to find ammo I'm shooting whatever I can find and saving all reloadable brass. I was just hoping there weren't any horror stories about the Hornady stuff. Like feeding problems, or failure to penetrate, or not expanding. I prefer to stay with 9mm and want a quality defense round. I shoot 2 Kahr CM9s and 2 Hi-Powers in 9mm.:yesway:

whippo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I can get Zmax cheaper by $1. I like that its brass cased.

Critical defense is nickel which is reloadable

The whole zombie defense I think your attorney could put you on a lie detector and ask you if you believe in zombies... But nevertheless I guess if that makes you feel more comfortable. Remember these words "I was in fear for my life"

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Critical defense is nickel which is reloadable

The whole zombie defense I think your attorney could put you on a lie detector and ask you if you believe in zombies... But nevertheless I guess if that makes you feel more comfortable. Remember these words "I was in fear for my life"

I'm saving the nickel too. Like someone else said, you can get a few more reloads out of the brass. The nickel will split a little sooner. I carry the Zombie rounds in my CM9. I'm not to worried about litigation, but if it ever becomes a factor, I will remember, "I was in fear for my life." Thanks.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The CD are merely nickle plated brass. It isn't conducive to cause splitting anymore than unplated brass in the ZD.

Top Bottom