• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Just used some this evening on some .223 brass. Sized about 400 cases with no trouble. I find the key is to shake the can well and let it dry on the cases for about 15 minutes. I just spray into a gallon ziplock bag and roll them around and then put them in a bowl to dry.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Yep, One-shot works fine...right up until that one case you somehow missed. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, has resulted in more stuck cases than One-Shot spray. It is not the product, but the inherent inconsistency of the way it's applied. If I hear 20 "stuck case stories" per year, 19 of them start with, "I was using Hornady One-Shot and everything was going fine when...."

If you must use it, make sure you've got a stuck-case remover in a drawer of your reloading bench. You'll need it, sooner or later.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Yep, One-shot works fine...right up until that one case you somehow missed. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, has resulted in more stuck cases than One-Shot spray. It is not the product, but the inherent inconsistency of the way it's applied. If I hear 20 "stuck case stories" per year, 19 of them start with, "I was using Hornady One-Shot and everything was going fine when...."

If you must use it, make sure you've got a stuck-case remover in a drawer of your reloading bench. You'll need it, sooner or later.

You are right. I have a die with a stuck case in it laying on my bench right now. I keep spare dies at the ready because I hate stopping everything to drill and tap a stuck case for removal. Also worth noting I have had more stuck cases with Hornady dies than all my others combined. I also have Dillion,RCBS and Lee dies but the Hornady's are the stuck case king for some reason.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    You are right. I have a die with a stuck case in it laying on my bench right now. I keep spare dies at the ready because I hate stopping everything to drill and tap a stuck case for removal. Also worth noting I have had more stuck cases with Hornady dies than all my others combined. I also have Dillion,RCBS and Lee dies but the Hornady's are the stuck case king for some reason.

I've only had 1 stuck case and it was my own fault, idiot me reached into the wrong tray and got the unlubed case, but luckily, my dillion dies have a stuck case removal system built in, had it out in seconds and was back to work.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I've had one stuck case so far. Late 70's vintage RCBS small base .223 die, lubed LC nichol plated brass. I forget which lube, but it was not Hornady One Shot. Never had a problem with One Shot, but I do spray it one a bit more than the directions state.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    My stepson is new to reloading and the topic of case lubing came up...I suggested
    ONE_SHOT right away...He said he'd rather use the pad. {he's never used the pad}
    I just snickered 'ok, go ahead'...kids...you can't tell 'em nuthin.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    ...and when you've reloaded long enough, you eventually try Imperial Sizing Die wax. For most folks, this is the last case lube they ever buy.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I shoot far too much to fetishize lube pads, waxing contraptions, rollers.

Those who find themselves frequently lost between:
    1. Shake can
    2. Spray case
    might be better served by them.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    One Shot is all i use too.....had a guy tell me motor oil once. I should have known better but he swore by it. Stuck 3 cases trying that stupid oil. Never again will i trust what he says with reloading. Ill just stick with what i know works

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    One Shot

I'm guessing the reason you hear lots of stories about sticking cases with One Shot is because so many use it. I haven't stuck a case (fingers crossed) since I started using One Shot over 5 years and many thousands of cases ago. I carefully spray 50 cases at a time in a loading block twice, 180 degrees apart, and let them sit for a half hour before I size them. I'm loading nothing but bottle-necked calibers, if that makes a difference.

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    I'm guessing the reason you hear lots of stories about sticking cases with One Shot is because so many use it. I haven't stuck a case (fingers crossed) since I started using One Shot over 5 years and many thousands of cases ago. I carefully spray 50 cases at a time in a loading block twice, 180 degrees apart, and let them sit for a half hour before I size them. I'm loading nothing but bottle-necked calibers, if that makes a difference.

This is the proper way to use One Shot. Not that it has to be 50 cases, but they need to be stood up so you will get the lube inside the neck of the case. Every time i hear of someone sticking a case while useing One Shot it ends up that they applied it wrong, fill hopper and spray, lose in a bag or tupperware container and your asking for problems. You do not have to worry about One Shot contaminateing your powder.

Eric86

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    I actually switched from Imperial to One Shot just because of the ease of use. I dont know how much this helps but I bought the carbide expander for my Redding dies. The trick is that if you always start the resizing slowly and feel its hard to go in, it doesnt get easier the more you push it in. Back it out before you get it stuck and lube it a bit more. Also I always spray a bit inside my die before I start.

Strangely enough I had 100 new Win. 308 cases I ordered from Midway and I also have 35 cases that were from factory ammo. It was much harder to resize the factory stuff even when all of it was on 3 firings. Not sure why, anyone else notice factory stuff being harder to size than semi-virgin brass?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My stepson is new to reloading and the topic of case lubing came up...I suggested
    ONE_SHOT right away...He said he'd rather use the pad. {he's never used the pad}
    I just snickered 'ok, go ahead'...kids...you can't tell 'em nuthin.

Been loading for 20 yrs and I'd rather use the pad than One Shot. Every time I have tried One Shot I end up sticking a case

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I actually switched from Imperial to One Shot just because of the ease of use. I dont know how much this helps but I bought the carbide expander for my Redding dies. The trick is that if you always start the resizing slowly and feel its hard to go in, it doesnt get easier the more you push it in. Back it out before you get it stuck and lube it a bit more. Also I always spray a bit inside my die before I start.

Using conventional case lube or Imperial, I don't need a carbide expander and there are no "tricks" to resizing. I use a steady, consistent pressure on the handle, knowing the case will not get stuck. I do not need to spray anything inside the die. How does this all equate to a greater "ease of use", exactly? Do you mean to say it's faster? One-shot IS faster...I don't disagree with that.

Strangely enough I had 100 new Win. 308 cases I ordered from Midway and I also have 35 cases that were from factory ammo. It was much harder to resize the factory stuff even when all of it was on 3 firings. Not sure why, anyone else notice factory stuff being harder to size than semi-virgin brass?

Thrice-fired brass is starting to lose its ductility...it is not as easily stretched. New brass has the neck and shoulder annealed as part of its construction, so it is easier to size. You can anneal your fired brass to restore much of its ductility.

Been loading for 20 yrs and I'd rather use the pad than One Shot. Every time I have tried One Shot I end up sticking a case

This is true of most folks who've been reloading a long time. I am of the opinion that One-Shot is popular among those who load a lot of 223 and 308, for semi-auto rifles. They are using a full progressive press to turn out as many rounds as possible, in as little time as possible. The speed of spraying dozens of cases in a few seconds is essential, so they can continue feeding the progressive lubed cases. For those of us working with a turret style press, or a single stage, such is not necessary.

When your fingertips or a flat pad are used to apply a wax or lube to cases, one at a time or in small groups of brass, it's pretty hard to screw it up. You can forget entirely, but other than that, the case is going to get lubricated and will not get stuck in a die. This is relatively slow, but if the press you're using is of the same general speed, it makes no difference.

I enjoy the slow, calculated, methodical precision of reloading with a single stage press. When I shoot high-powered rifles, it is exclusively for group, or for hunting. As such, I might shoot 15-30 rounds in a session, or a single shot in a season. There is no benefit to reloading faster.

If I was trying to feed a hungry semi-auto rifle, and I enjoyed shooting lots of rounds, for "effect", then maybe I'd want a progressive and use One-Shot. The way I load and shoot, faster just isn't indicated. To be honest, I don't WANT to reload faster. I enjoy my time at the reloading bench and the last thing I want is for it to be over sooner.

:ingo:

Top Bottom