Hornady Progressive, a good first choice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    Lee, Dillion and Hornady reloading equipment, I've tried all 3 and like the Hornady the most.

My friends have their own opinions about the strengths and weaknesses of the brand of reloading equipment they use. I am looking for a larger pool of opinions about what brand of equipment might be right for me. I will start with reloading .380, .9mm and .223. Other calibers are in the future.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I load 9mm, .380, .38spl and 223 on a lee classic turret press. I’ve found when I do rifle, I use it like a single stage press. For pistol, I wish I had progressive, but I do 1,000 rounds at a time maybe twice a year. I like that Lee will send you any replacement parts for their products, like a powder hopper or four, free of charge. Hornady is more refined and my next press will be Hornady LNL. I now use hornady custom grade dies. Can’t speak personally on Dillon. I know they are outstanding products, but I believe you are paying easily a 20% premium soley for the blue.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I started with a Lee Classic Turret Press (LCT) as well, and think it is a GREAT value and is good for learning how to reload safely. Even if you upgrade someday, you can still use it to work up new loads, or as a single stage press for certain functions or as @goodcat mentions, for rifle rounds.

The good news is that the press itself is only a bit over $100, so you are not out much money, and can always resell it for most of what you paid for it.

All the dies that you might buy for the LCT can be used on the Hornady or Dillon progressive presses later, so that is not money wasted.

I now use a Dillon XL650 as my main press, but I still keep my LCT for so many things, it is really a useful little guy to have around. I love my Dillon, but have no personal experience with any of the Hornady presses, so I can't really help you there.

Best of luck!

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    We run Hornady LnL AP's and 1 Hornady single. Don't use the Hornady powder throws. Lee came out with a very nice Auto Drum a couple years ago. For $35 you cannot beat it for consistency. A mix of dies. Use Forster Micrometer seating for 223 and 300BO. YMMV.

I would suggest keeping a watch in the classifieds for the press your looking for and not paying new retail unless you found a great deal. We picked up all our presses from guys that were either moving or getting out of reloading. You'll usually get a lot more accessories that you would usually buy anyway.

:ingo:

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I started loading 50 years and many thousands of rounds ago and have since mentored many upstarts. I always suggest you start with a good single stage press and keep in mind the RCBS Rock Chucker is the standard by which all others have been measured. Take the time to get the basics down pat in each stage before moving to a progressive. Over the years I've run them all and must say I see little use for a turret. When the time comes to upgrade from the single you need find the progressive that best suits you personally. Some years back I gave away 2 Dillons and moved to the LNL. This wasn't because there was anything at all wrong with the Dillons. It was simply the LNL fit me better ergonomically. I don't drink the red, blue or any other color Koolaid and my bench sports all colors you can imagine. I keep what works best for me and suggest others do the same. Lets face it, if you're serious you're going to spend a large portion of your life working these things so second best just isn't good enough.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    I'm in the process of setting up my lee 1000. I hear it's not the best but I gotta stsrt somewhere also. I want a single stage for 308 and 30-06 and maybe a different progressive after I get the basics down. I got mine turn key for 45acp for $150 on the market place on facebook.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'm in the process of setting up my lee 1000. I hear it's not the best but I gotta stsrt somewhere also. I want a single stage for 308 and 30-06 and maybe a different progressive after I get the basics down. I got mine turn key for 45acp for $150 on the market place on facebook.

I loaded over 10k of 9mm on a Lee Pro 1000 before I upgraded.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I started on a Lee Classic. Then we bought a Rockchucker for rifle rounds. I sold the Lee off a long time ago. We still use the Rockchucker for doing certain functions ( mostly de-priming rifle). We now have 2 Dillon 550's and a 650. Dillon is just like lee in that they will replace almost anything free. I've called them to order something and they'll say " it's in the mail no charge"

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    If you like Hornady......get the Hornady.
    I prefer Dillon, but Hornady makes a nice press.
    Would not recommend a Lee progressive.
    Not bashing Lee, have a Classic Turret and love it, just have known too many people have too many problems with Lee's progressives.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    It's not like you're trying to launch an object 220,000 mile into space, get the progressive you desire now and learn to use it, if you're like most, you're going to end up there anyways.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I started loading 50 years and many thousands of rounds ago and have since mentored many upstarts. I always suggest you start with a good single stage press and keep in mind the RCBS Rock Chucker is the standard by which all others have been measured. Take the time to get the basics down pat in each stage before moving to a progressive. Over the years I've run them all and must say I see little use for a turret. When the time comes to upgrade from the single you need find the progressive that best suits you personally. Some years back I gave away 2 Dillons and moved to the LNL. This wasn't because there was anything at all wrong with the Dillons. It was simply the LNL fit me better ergonomically. I don't drink the red, blue or any other color Koolaid and my bench sports all colors you can imagine. I keep what works best for me and suggest others do the same. Lets face it, if you're serious you're going to spend a large portion of your life working these things so second best just isn't good enough.

I cannot express how much Syko is right about starting single stage. Even using the Lee classic turret as a single stage press (remove actuator arm), if you do your first 200 or so rounds one step at a time (first resize and deprime, then prime, then powder), instead of using it as a turret (one brass going through all stages), you’ll learn a lot much faster. Go to turret after 250 rounds, no problem. But LEARN doing step-by-step on your lot. With pistol, stick within any good reloading books parameters for any powder load, and you’ll be just fine.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I don’t know anyone who recommends a progressive for metallic rifle cartridges. Especially when loading for accuracy.

After doing a lot of research a couple of years ago I purchased a Hornady LnL with the case feeder. I tried my best to work the kinks out of the LnL but never could get the case feeder to work well. And the ergonomics of the handle didnÂ’t seem to fit me. I sold the LnL reloader and case feeder for 70% of my purchase price.

After researching the Dillon 650 ( the equivalent of the LnL ) prices for new, I eventually found one used . . . . . and ended up paying 90+% or retail because Dillons hold their resale value so well. Over 85% of IDPA and USPSA shooters surveyed at the National Championship load with a Dillon. I have had the Dillon now for about 6 weeks and have loaded 1,000 +/- 9 mm cartridges. I’ve found the case feeder works much better and the handle is much more to my liking.

Doing some research on the internet helped me make up my mind. I would suggest you at least find a Dillon and reload a few shells with it so you can make a comparison. As an aside, the Lee Progressive didnÂ’t even really show up on the radar in the surveys that were performed. Best of luck in your quest.

AND, I too, still have my green RCBS Rock Chucker Press !

Last edited:

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Here is my advice and some facts from a guy who spent WAAAAAAAY to much time researching which progressive press to buy.

Fact #1-I don't know ANYONE who has either a 550, 650 or H/LnL progressive press that is being honest will not tell you there is a learning curve on mastering how to use them and you WILL encounter problems as you set up and master the press and yes you are going to encounter some frustration so I strongly advise you utilize YouTube and their lengthy video library on setting up H/LnL and Dillon.

Fact #2- Don not bother comparing the H/LnL to the Dillon 650 as it's not an apples to apples comparison. The 650 is a better machine but its also a MUCH more expensive progressive so in all honesty and you can not compare the H/LnL to it. $400 VS $590 is IMHO considerably more money.

Fact #3- You can compare a Dillon 550 to a H/LnL as they are very similar. I did and based on and this is my opinion, I got considerably more in a H/LnL VS a 550 for my money so I bought a H/LnL. I honestly can not say one will perform in any way better than the other, I just felt considering the H/LnL was $100 cheaper and the H/LnL caliber conversions are cheaper than the 550, I bought the H/LnL.

Fact #4-Both Hornady and Dillon have excellent CS but based on countless reviews I will have to concede Dillon has better CS but I have only needed Hornady's CS once not related to my LnL/AP and I was completely satisfied.

I still have my Lee 1000 and use it to crank out 38spl/357 and 45acp and have reloaded COUNTLESS 1000s of rounds of each and yes parts did wear and yes problems arose. I called Lee CS and they said mail it to them. They sent me back a brand new press. Basically unbeatable CS again IMHO.

Bottom line in my opinion buy the one you want both will serve you extremely well both make excellent ammo. My last suggestion is go to YouTube and watch as many set, trouble shooting, set up and operational videos of both you can find and hopefully that will give you the information you need to make your purchase. As I said my deciding factor on choosing between the Hornady LnL/AP and the Dillon 550 was cost I STRONGLY believed then and now the H/LnL/AP was a considerably better buy than the 550, NOT that the H/LnL/AP was a BETTER press as I feel thay are both to close to call, and although Dillons CS is better, Hornady's is more than good enough for me.

Lastly if you can afford the Dillon 650 then buy it, but be aware when all is said and done for the basic press with a only a few upgrades like the strong mount and better roller handle and no auto feeders you will be knocking on double the price of a H/LnL/AP press. Ive seen basic H/LnL/AP presses for $400 W/S&H best price I found on a 650 is $190 more so keep that in mind.

Buy what you want and unless you have someone with a lot of experience with which ever press you buy, be prepared to invest a considerable amount of time and patients mastering the press. Besides YouTube Goggle searches on tricks and tips setting up which ever press you buy will likely be a big help avoiding problems.

best of luck,
    Art.

Last edited:

tsilveus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    Started with a lee single stage 6 years ago. 60 to 70 pistol rounds an hour. Got a lee progressive for Christmas. Now doing 225 to 250 an hour. The single stage was great to learn on. Still use it for rifle. The blue and green are great presses but you can't go wrong for the money with the red. I only load about 500 a month so it works great for me.

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    Thanks for all the info guys.........I went with The Hornady LNL progressive. $379.00 delivered to my door.

Time to find out how steep the learning curve is!

Last edited:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thanks for all the info guys.........I went with The Hornady LNL progressive. $379.00 delivered to my door.

Time to find out how steep the learning curve is!

Do yourself a favor and find someone in your area that knows how to run one and have them come spend a couple hours with you. It may save a lot of headache

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Do yourself a favor and find someone in your area that knows how to run one and have them come spend a couple hours with you. It may save a lot of headache
    This is excellent advice for someone of novice status. Make sure the teacher is competent also and run this thing only one case at a time like a single stage until you understand the purpose and feel of each stage before you move on and understand that won't come soon. You're about an hour and a half north of me so really not convenient to help. Just take good advice and run as a single stage first. There is a continuing learning process and I'm still learning after over 50 years of practice.

The first thing you will want to add is a powder check die for handgun ammo. I prefer the RCBS Lockout die. And in order to aid with being able to see what you need to you will need one of the press lights that are offered for this press.

For future reference, you will be adding the case feeder as soon as you transition to progressive use.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

This is solid advice.

My first press was a Hornady LNL. The learning curve was STEEP.... but patience and perseverance paid off.

I think that once you are up and running they do great.

For "precision" loads, I tend to skip their powder drop and go with a trickle. If I'm just trying to get something like factory loads, the drop works fine.

Once it is tuned, you can go pretty quick. I knocked out 5,000 rounds of 45ACP during some evenings with spare time this week.... I'll be set for a little while.

Top Bottom