• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tackdriver47371

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Jay County
    We have been thinking of adding a decent pack mule to our little herd. We have always had horses and it is our backup plan when (if) the fuel is depleted. We have two young children that are both good riders but gear can be tough on your main mount. Anyone else considered horses as a shtf tool?

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    Actually, my husband and I are considering that very thing. I figure fuel will be one of the first shortages, few substitutions and difficult to create in a shtf situation. Horses can eat grass. They don't need a parts store if they breakdown. Horses are not for everyone, though, espcially in a "what if" situation. I have several anyway. I see no reason why they can't haul me out of here if there is no fuel available for the car.

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    We have 4 horses...we all ride bareback and with only halters so we have options whether we need saddles or not...I can full out ride my mare bareback and bridle-less on the open trail, so we can go anywhere we need to. They have never had nor needed shoes so they get by with good trims. Both of mine are easy keepers can suck air and keep weight on.

The only thing I never worked with them on is gunfire...I was going to compete in mounted cowboy action shooting but never got around to working them with guns.

Think about it...we can travel, pack supplies, clear logs or debris, plow, etc.

I ride the original horsepower!

Less Is More Horse HomePage

GONZO!!!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom