• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Are we sure that this bill went to the same committee this time? Last year's campus carry bill went to the public policy committee, did this one as well?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Rep. Jim Lucas officially filed a bill that would prohibit state funded post-secondary institutions from banning the right-to-carry on campus. As it is, colleges can ban the carrying of firearms with severe consequences for those who get caught. Although no legal pentagons can be applied, the student can still be expelled and if they are for a firearm offense, then they end up facing great difficulty getting accepted into another college. This new law would prevent all of that. Great news for college students!

What about heptagons? Or rhombuses?

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Thanks for the head up on this - let's get out in front INGO!

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    What about heptagons? Or rhombuses?

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Thanks for the head up on this - let's get out in front INGO!
    Pentagons are politically correct :laugh: ^^*** Are you a member of SCC?^^^

To all of INGO, my friends at Students for Concealed Carry humbly ask you to know for certain what committee and representative to write to so we don't waste our efforts writing to the wrong person. They haven't been informed what committee the bill has been placed under and are being kept in the loop by Rep. Lucas personally. However, if you know exactly who to contact, by all means write. I don't see why we couldn't ask our representatives to support any measures for campus carry but that's just me.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    All HB gun bills are being assigned to the Public Policy committee. NOW is the time to politely contact Chairman Dermody to let him know how important it is to give gun bills a fair hearing!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I would be just be so happy if this law were passed! I am sick of having to de-gun just to go to class. And since I do not like leaving firearms in a vehicle unattended in a vehicle I basically have to leave them home.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I would be just be so happy if this law were passed! I am sick of having to de-gun just to go to class. And since I do not like leaving firearms in a vehicle unattended in a vehicle I basically have to leave them home.
    Support Students for Concealed Carry, become a member, have your voice heard! Tell your friends, push for passage!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Just a reminder. I don't know if it's too late to get this unstuck from the committee quagmire...so just in case:

IMAGC's initial review of this is below

Right now it is STUCK in the House Public Policy Committee waiting on a hearing.

Contact Rep Dermody 800-382-9841 or 317-232-9850 -- h20@iga.in.gov --
    HE ALONE controls the fate of this (and HB 1144, HB 1244 and HB 1494)

Dermody needs to FEEL THE HEAT on this. If you're on FB - go like and share so others know to call / e-mail.
    If you are not - but have other venues - share it there.
    And let the committee members and your own representatives know to support it too.

And then kindly some where make sure that you let people know you've sent stuff or called.
    Or I'll have to get on people again.

The only way any of these get heard is if we stand our our boxes 1 and 2 - (mail and soap) ...

LINK TO THE POST:
    https://www.facebook.com/IndianaMomsAgainstGunControl/posts/748318601926704

-----------------------------------------------

2015 IGA – HB 1143 Possession of Firearms on State Property. ‪#‎CampusCarry‬ ‪#‎SCC‬ ‪#‎2A‬ ‪#‎ConstitutionalCarry‬

We need EVERYONE on board to CALL / E-mail Rep. Dermody on this to request a hearing.

One of the Premier Bills this session is HB 1143, authored by Representatives Lucas, Eberhart and VanNatter. This is a short bill with only 4 sections within the proposed legislation and it is very straight forward. Section 1, 2 and 3 add/expand 3 definitions to the appropriate sections of the IC to completely define the parameters of the proposal. Section 4 of the legislation adds a new chapter: IC-35-47-17, which contains 8 sections. Overall it is very straight forward.

The digest summary describes the additions very well. It PROHIBITS a state agency, including a state supported college or university, from regulating the possession or transportation of firearms, ammunition, or firearm accessories: (1) on land that is; or (2) in buildings and other structures that are; owned or leased by the state. There are exceptions included: This does not apply to areas prohibited by State (or Federal) law. This bill only applies to people who are legal residents; those who may legally possess a firearm under the IC; and those who have been adversely affected. The legislation VOIDS, as of July 1, 2015, any RULES or POLICIES enacted or undertaken by a state agency before, on, or after June 30, 2015, concerning possession or transportation of firearms, ammunition, or firearm accessories on land or in structures owned or leased by the state. The final section allows a person to bring an action against a state agency if the person is adversely affected by a rule, a measure, an enactment, or a policy of the state agency that violates this law.

What this means is, if you are legally allowed to possess, or carry, a firearm, agencies, such as state universities – would no longer be able to prohibit you from having a firearm on their property. This is very significant. State Law does not outlaw possession on college campuses. However, most colleges have ‘rules’ which prohibit college students (who are adults! NOT children) from having the option to carry or store a firearm on campus, for legal purposes. While not a crime in Indiana – to do so and get caught would mean expulsion and probably end an educational and professional career. Similarly, employees are generally prohibited from even possessing a firearm, even stored in a car, or risk being fired.

A little over 20 to 25 years ago this was not an issue. Then “Gun Free Zones” (GFZ or as I prefer: “Criminal Protection Zones”) were created all over, including at colleges and university by ‘progressive-liberal’ college administrators. We see time and again, most recently in Florida, incidents where armed criminals can injure and kill with no fear from those who cannot defend themselves. I point out the Florida incident, because among those present were an Army Combat Vet and a student member of Florida Students for Concealed Carry (SCC) (who was injured but still warned others). Both of these, had they been armed, had a clear shot to end the attack sooner. Instead these GFZ policies left them defenseless. It is yet another clear case of the failure of a GFZ to protect people. (See Press Release Link)

Ending these policies is a priority for any who have been, or will be in the future attending a college. As adults, we are each responsible for our own self-protection. The Supreme Court has ruled that the police are not liable or responsible to protect any individual citizen. The State Supreme Court in Virginia ruled similarly that the VA Tech University is not responsible to provide protection, nor liable for failure to protect from violence of ‘third parties’. This was in response to a case from the parents of some of the victims of the mass killing there in 2007.

This incident was a direct reason for the formation SCC, a group we readily try to support. (Links to SCC groups below)

In order to get this legislation passed – we again need to CALL and E-MAIL Rep. Dermody (h20@iga.in.gov phone: 800-382-9841 or 317-232-9850) to POLITELY but FIRMLY state our support and request a hearing be granted to this legislation. This is URGENT. We have only a few weeks to get this accomplished. We need a major grass roots push – because when the hearing comes – the minion moms of Mayor Bloomberg will be sure to work to oppose it as well.

Once you have called and/or e-mailed Rep. Dermody, send a similar message to the members of the Public Policy Committee and your own representative urging them to ask for a hearing and to support this. Then, PLEASE SHARE the message with others (by liking, commenting, share, or by cut and paste to other venues). We’d love to get 1,337 or more comments of “Done”, “E-mail Sent” or “Call Made”.

The links to the information supporting this bill are below.

Thank you!!!!

--- BB3

HB 1143: https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2015/bills/house/1143
    Committee Membership: https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2015/committees/public_policy_1600
    FS SCC Press Release: https://www.facebook.com/Florida.SCC/posts/723176044432489

Student for Campus Carry: Students for Concealed Carry ? Advocating for the Right to Self-Defense on Campus
    https://www.facebook.com/ConcealedCampus
    ISU SCC: https://www.facebook.com/StudentsForConcealedCarryAtIsu
    Ball State SCC: https://www.facebook.com/ConcealCarryBSU
    IUPUI SCC: https://www.facebook.com/SCCCatIUPUI
    Indiana SCC: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Indiana-Students-for-Concealed-Carry/248792705216596
    Purdue SCC: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Students-for-Concealed-Carry-at-Purdue-University/363551473743286

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    From IMAGC...Call to action:

IMAGC POST - for tonight (and tomorrow) -

LINK: https://www.facebook.com/IndianaMomsAgainstGunControl/posts/749796421778922

URGENT Update – 01-19-2015 AM – We need EVERYONE to PUSH if we are going to get the Legislation heard. ‪#‎ConstitutionalCarry‬ ‪#‎CampusCarry‬ ‪#‎SCC‬ ‪#‎2A‬
    If the Pro 2A legislation is going to get to a hearing – we need you ALL involved NOW.

1st Priority is CALL and E-mail (or write) Rep. Dermody’s Office to support HB 1144 and HB 1143.
    2nd Priority is to help someone else do the same; and then repeat it.
    3rd priority is to spread the word – SHARE our post ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE. It is about getting people involved; not about getting credit. We need to get this info to other gun forums, other groups on Facebook, or via e-mail. And People need to understand that Mr. Dermody is the key.

This is an update I was hoping would not be needed this session. We have it on good authority that Rep. Dermody (h20@iga.in.gov - 800-382-9841 or 317-232-9850) has stated his plans are:

“… that since this session we will be addressing the state's budget, he wants to focus on bills that have a fiscal impact … for any further questions relating to them being heard, you will have to ask the Chairman more about his decisions.” I am sure some of you have seen this statement.

Due to the limitations of Facebook’s formatting options, I cannot put as much emphasis on certain items in this post the way I would like. Reading between the lines, into the nature of politics, this is our understanding of what we know right now: Rep. Dermody has no intention of hearing the “Gun Legislation” (i.e. HB 1143, HB 1144, HB 1244, or HB 1494) this session because he does not think it is important enough or that enough people support the issue. Mr. Dermody (despite a high NRA rating) was also nearly the road block last session to several very positive step-stone legislative measures to restore and protect our rights.

What needs to be done? WE, each and every one of us, need to reach out and TELL Mr. Dermody how important these measures are to EVERY SINGLE gun owner, and 2nd Amendment supporter in the state. This MUST be done in POLITE, Factually Correct, non-intimidating, but FIRM manner. We need EVERYONE to help to send Letters (E-Mail, USPS snail mail), information via Social Media and via Telephone Calls to his office. We need to get EVERYONE on board. While repeated contacts from individuals show their commitment (keep calling!!!), we believe it would be more effective to get more people to contact him at least once (get more people involved!!!). You need to be the instrument to deliver the message to EVERYONE ELSE. Help a friend or neighbor. Help 2 or 3. Our role is to help each of you reach your neighbors, friends and family.

We have approximately 1 month until the final opportunity of this IGA Session (The last chance is probably Thursday Feb. 19) to get a hearing. The last day for a 3rd reading (last chance to pass the house) – is February 25. Until then or until we get other information, we URGE YOU to keep pushing; and we will keep you up to date. While each of you contacting YOUR representatives is good, it does not seem that they are going to be able to influence him on this. If you wish to write to Mr. Bosma, Speaker of the House, he might have more influence. It is therefore up to “WE THE PEOPLE” to accomplish this. I am sure Mr. Dermody’s staff keeps him informed of those volume of those who call and e-mail on issues – as well as how often; and this is why we need as many people to participate as possible. The more pressure we can bring to bear, the more likely it is that any of these 4 measures will heard (Especially HB 1144 and HB 1143) over the other 27 that are assigned to this committee.

To borrow from history – on the night of April 18, 1775 – 2 riders started out of Boston: Paul Revere, and William Dawes; Later that night, Dr. Prescott joined them. Between these 3 they managed to get the word out of Boston to Lexington and Concord. 79 men stood on Lexington Green at dawn on April 19. But by the following morning, riders that these men and others had sent out – had turned into a muster of about 14,000 patriots surrounding Boston. This is the kind of turnout we need to have to get this completed. BE INVOLVED!!!

We have been working on reviewing the other Pro-2A rights bills. I believe there is a good chance for some of these to be heard in the State Senate (and will have info shortly). However, these may run into the same road block in the house; if assigned to Mr. Dermody’s Committee. This is all the more reason to show him how important all of the bills are to all of us.

Thanks for the continued support. I hope to provide an updated sample letter as well.

--- BB3

Links:
    HB 1143: https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2015/bills/house/1143
    HB 1144: https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2015/bills/house/1144
    House Public Policy Committee: https://iga.in.gov/legislat…/…/committees/public_policy_1600

------------------------------------

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I have a spare second or two - so Here is yesterday EVENING's post on HB 1143 - there is an interesting item in the middle - GFGT or I (or someone) will be back w/ more sometime soon.

I am working a bit more strongly worded ("Sample") letter ... watch for political double talk:

------------------------------------------------

THROWDOWN THURSDAY – Campus Reform Article HB 1143 -‪#‎SCC‬ ‪#‎CampusCarry‬ ‪#‎ConstitutionalCarry‬ ‪#‎2A‬ ‪#‎NRA‬ ‪#‎GOA‬

Let’s "THROW DOWN" some Action!!! – Have you called the Legislators this week? Sent E-mail? – Post up a “SENT” if you have! – Share and Tag someone to get involved!!!
    Mr. Dermody: h20@iga.in.gov 317-232-9850 or 800-382-9841
    Mr. (Speaker) Bosma: h88@iga.in.gov 317-232-9677 or 800-382-9841

We saw the article via the Indiana SCC groups that we’ve liked and we try to support. In reading it I have to say I am quite – ‘disappointed’ in Mr. Dermody. The solution – The ONLY WAY to get this a hearing: CALL and E-MAIL; and KEEP CALLING / PUSHING – and get OTHERS to do so as well. Call Rep Dermody, Speaker Bosma and other House Leadership (such as the Majority Caucus Chair: Rep. Kathy K. Richardson, H29 or other leadership.) When I called earlier today, I also left a message for Rep. Richardson (H29), who is also my local representative.

Article from Campus Reform: Lawmaker wants to fight campus sexual assault with concealed carry
    Link to the Article: http://campusreform.org/?ID=6230

So our observation from this:
    While we generally approve of deregulating issues that limit the ability of a businesses and people to conduct legal transactions; I am still disappointed in the selection of legislation for committee hearings by Mr. Dermody; especially in light of this quote from the linked article (a bit past half way into the article):

- - - - - - - -- - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Rep. Thomas Dermody (R), who serves as the Chairman of Public Policy, told Campus Reform that he does not plan to take up the legislation.

“As Chairman of Public Policy, I have an obligation to thoroughly vet the legislation that comes before our committee and make informed decisions about the best course of action for Hoosiers,” Dermody said in a statement to Campus Reform. “A large part of that process occurs during the interim. Legislators are afforded additional time to study these topics and make recommendations to the General Assembly. Unfortunately, gun issues were not part of this process.”

Instead, Dermody said Indiana’s General Assembly focused its efforts on gaming issues over the summer. He said that he felt the Assembly’s responsibility was in focusing its attention on “legislation that has a large fiscal impact” on the state of Indiana.

“I will also place a high priority on those issues which we have been working on all summer—not issues as this, which seem to have appeared out of nowhere,” Dermody told Campus Reform.
    - - - - - - - -- - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Because I have heard the “fiscal impact” statement I have been watching the activity so far. As I see this, of the 38 bills sent to the committee, 14 of the total, and ALL 7 that have been heard so far, focus on ALCOHOL sales. None of the 11 Gaming items (the focus of the summer study) have been heard (yet). As to the “fiscal impact” – each item of legislation includes a “fiscal impact statement” that is review-able on-line. Of the items heard (include 2 already fully passed by the House) the best can be said to have a ‘moderate’ possible (net positive) impact on the state’s revenue to expenditure ratio. Most of the legislation is neutral. I wish it were not so, but I am feeling like there is a bit of political double talk and gamesmanship here from Mr. Dermody.

Additionally, it should also be noted that Mr. Lucas has (and others before him have) introduced similar legislation in the past. Mr. Dermody’s assertion that this “appeared out of nowhere” is quite disconcerting.

Remember, when you contact the representatives you can point this out; but STAY POLITE and ON FACTS. Personal attacks of character will NOT help our cause; temper any anger or frustration and steel your resolve. I will be working on a new (sample) letter to Mr. Dermody and Speaker Bosma regarding the status of these pieces of legislation, which I will share as soon as I can.

Thanks for following – please keep liking and sharing our info, as best as you can (not just via Facebook; but e-mail on other pages anywhere!); and please keep getting the word out and keep the pressure on these legislators. If this is going to be heard it is up to “US” – the people.

--- BB3

Prior Letter on HB 1143:
    https://www.facebook.com/IndianaMomsAgainstGunControl/posts/747929848632246

Sean

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Everyone should contact the NRA-ILA (https://www.nraila.org/contact-nra-ila/). Inform them of Dermody's actions, urge them to engage his office and downgrade his rating. In the past they've went so far to say "“The NRA is synonymous with freedom, and Hoosiers in the 20th House District have a solid friend in Tom Dermody,” said Chris W. Cox, chairman of NRA-PVF.", I couldn't find this further from the truth in light of his current decisions.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    From our friends at IMAGC. If you haven't written or called Bosma/Demody/Your Rep, please do.
    POST LINK to IMAGC latest w/ sample letter: https://www.facebook.com/IndianaMomsAgainstGunControl/posts/758798937545337

Feb 4 Draft Letter – IGA House Public Policy Comm. #NRA #GOA #SCC #CampusCarry #ConstitutionalCarry #2A

I sent (more or less) the sample letter below to Speaker Bosma and Representative Dermody, Chair of the House Public Policy Committee. Rep. Dermody is the key, but the most prevalent influence over his decision on what to hear within the House, would be the speaker.
    Speaker Bosma: 800-382-9841 or 317-232-9677 -- h88@iga.in.gov --
    Rep Dermody: 800-382-9841 or 317-232-9850 -- h20@iga.in.gov --

Time is nearly out; there are only 2 more weeks to get a hearing, and next week’s agenda has already been posted (and it is noted in the letter). We encourage you to voice your support for these bills; and to do so strongly, we also ask that you remain polite and on fact with the legislators and their staff members.

On a footnote from last evenings post: SB 433 “Shotguns” – did pass the senate with a vote of 44 to 6. It now moves to the House; and likely to the Public Policy Committee. Thus are need to continue to voice our cause there.

Thank you all for the support, and continued calls to legislators. Please continue to Like, Comment and Share our posts. You’re grass roots action is our greatest strength.

--- BB3

Sample Letter:

Mr. Dermody and Speaker Bosma,

I am writing again in support of and to urge your support of HB 1143, HB 1144, and the other 5 bills which protect and strengthen Hoosier's rights with regards to arms, and which are stuck waiting a hearing in the house Public Policy Committee.

I have read Mr. Dermody’s comments on his reasoning for not granting any of these matters a hearing in an article published by “Campus Reform” (link following signature); I have also heard similar statements via other on-line sources. In the article, Mr. Dermody is quoted stating that he was focusing on legislation from the summer interim study session and those with a “significant fiscal impact”. “Gaming” is the noted objective of the summer study session, yet only 1 of the 9 bills that have been or are on the schedule agenda through February 11, 2015 are related to this subject. The other 8 bills are all related to the sale of alcohol. A similar check on “fiscal impact”, by reviewing the fiscal impact statements filed with each bill on-line, shows that most of these are very limited to their anticipated fiscal impact.

Per my reading of these statements, the “net” impact fiscally, the balance between revenue and expenditures, for the state for most of the bills is that they will not generally provide a significant increase in revenue to a greater degree than the increase in expenditures to properly administer the changes. In several cases, the net gain in revenue is due to fines and violations. One would hope that “ideally” – there are no fines or violations, while knowing that some fines are going to occur. It seems that basing the state budgetary numbers on the estimate of fines and violations is inconsistent with the idea that most citizens are law abiding and it is also a bit like gaming, since this is not guaranteed income; unless the plan is to make everyone a criminal.

The political double-speak is the only “Gaming” I see occurring here, by not hearing HB 1143, in particular, or HB 1144 or the any of the other arms related measures. Your decision forces people to continue to gamble between their safety, their education and their career. What risk do they choose: the risk to go unarmed or the risk to end their career or education? We have seen repeatedly, that criminals will violate these policies; and even laws which limit ONLY the ability of the law abiding citizen to provide for their own safety. Safety, which is not the responsibility or liability of the state or the state agency to provide; as defined by the Supreme Court of the United States and other State’s in their jurisdictions.

HB 1143 should be nearly revenue neutral, provided policies are promptly changed, and enforced according to the state law. HB 1144 could cause some revenue loss to the state budget; yet I would ask: What other right protected by the Constitutions of both Indiana and the United States, must be purchased from the state to be exercised.

By not hearing these or any other legislation relating to arms, you almost appear afraid to lead and prepare for hard issues. To say that this legislation has not been vetted is also a poor excuse; it is nearly identical to legislation introduced several times over the last several years, both by Mr. Lucas, and by others before he began to serve.

There are 38 bills before this committee, 14 of which are alcohol bills; 11 of which are gaming; and 7 are related to arms. Yet of the 9 bills scheduled or heard thus far, 8 are related to minor revisions to the sales of alcohol. Please end the political gamesmanship and double talk. I urge you again to grant one of these measures, in particular HB 1143 and/or HB 1144, a hearing in the House Public Policy Committee before this session ends.

Thank you for your time and service to our great state.

Sincerely,
    YOUR NAME
    YOUR TOWN, INDIANA
    Concerned Citizen;
    Supporter of Indiana Moms Against Gun Control

Link to Campus Reform Article: Lawmaker wants to fight campus sexual assault with concealed carry

Top Bottom