• NewsShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Indianapolis
    WTHR - Indiana Considers Ditching License Requirement for Guns in Cars

House Bill 1546

Handgun possession. Allows a person to carry a handgun on or about the person's body without being licensed to carry a handgun if: (1) the person is in or on property, or in a vehicle, that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person; (2) the person is lawfully present in or on private property, or in a vehicle, that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person; (3) the person is carrying the handgun at a shooting range, while attending a firearms instructional course, or while engaged in a legal hunting activity; or (4) the handgun is unloaded and securely wrapped. (Current law provides that a person who does not possess a valid handgun license may not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body unless the person: (1) is in the person's dwelling or fixed place of business or on the person's property; or (2) is carrying the handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place where the handgun was purchased to the person's dwelling or fixed place of business, between a handgun repair shop and the person's dwelling or fixed place of business, or from one dwelling or fixed place of business to another.) Specifies that a person who has been convicted of domestic battery may not possess or carry a handgun unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored by a court.

EDIT:

It looks like Channel 13's Kevin Rader has a brilliant understanding of this issue to start - "It is becoming all too familiar: a police officer makes a routine stop that escalates into gunfire, serious injury and or death. The recent incident with IMPD Officer David Moore is the latest example which makes Tuesday's debate at the Indiana Statehouse all the more curious."

Yes. According to Mr. Rader, it sounds like an innocent, law-abiding man gunned down Officer Moore. He makes it sounds like Thomas Hardy (who lost his right to carry a firearm a long, long time ago) wasn't committing a crime just by having the gun on him.

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Sounds good to me. IF I'm reading this right, someone could carry a handgun to the range with out a LTCH. That is a good thing.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    This was also heard as SB 506 today. I have not heard whether the committee passed it or not yet.

WTHR - Indiana Considers Ditching License Requirement for Guns in Cars

House Bill 1546

EDIT:

It looks like Channel 13's Kevin Rader has a brilliant understanding of this issue to start - "It is becoming all too familiar: a police officer makes a routine stop that escalates into gunfire, serious injury and or death. The recent incident with IMPD Officer David Moore is the latest example which makes Tuesday's debate at the Indiana Statehouse all the more curious."

Yes. According to Mr. Rader, it sounds like an innocent, law-abiding man gunned down Officer Moore. He makes it sounds like Thomas Hardy (who lost his right to carry a firearm a long, long time ago) wasn't committing a crime just by having the gun on him.

That's because in the anti-gunner's mind, anyone who owns a gun (and is not employed by a government agency and empowered by that employer to carry said gun) is alike. If you carry a gun, you are either a cop or a criminal in their eyes; the very concept of John Q Public being ready, willing, and able to defend himself is an anathema to them.

Blessings,
    Bill

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    This was also heard as SB 506 today. I have not heard whether the committee passed it or not yet.

That's because in the anti-gunner's mind, anyone who owns a gun (and is not employed by a government agency and empowered by that employer to carry said gun) is alike. If you carry a gun, you are either a cop or a criminal in their eyes; the very concept of John Q Public being ready, willing, and able to defend himself is an anathema to them.

Blessings,
    Bill

Maybe John Q isnt the best name to associate us with... The last thing we want the anti-s comparing us to is a desperate Denzel Washington, holding a hospital hostage to save his son's life.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Not that it matters much, but don't forget to vote in the poll on the OP's link.

Gun owners are down by a large margin right now :(

Comparing law-abiding citizens to known criminals and "alleged" murderers is a slap in the face. Thanks, Channel 13, for the world class reporting :rolleyes:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Hmmmmm. Looks like a crazy modification of Ohio law when I was there: You can have a handgun in your car, but you had to carry it unloaded in another compartment of the car (i.e. Ammo riding shotgun, pistol in trunk). There was no "hunting" or "target" permits, but really no easily obtained carry permits though... (at least in Toledo and Dayton when I was there)

A great step in the right direction, but the timing is pretty bad right now. With the recent shootings, plus Officer Moore's death, this isn't going to go over big with "fence post sitters". :( Shame, as it, coupled with the guns in workplace parking lot situation will definitely keep someone alive a little longer in case of an active shooter. It is also incrementalist "slippery slope" in our favor to get constitutional carry! :yesway" Remember, slippery slope works BOTH ways! ;)

I would not put a ton of salt into the poll they have online. What I have seen is that articles with polls will have a negative view in the poll but the positive comments in the comments section. It's easier for a sheep to hit yes or no instead of being taken up for discourse in the comments section. ;) Also, the article listed is a station that has a bit of a bent on it anyways, who cares what they think! :D This is a positive gentlemen and ladies, let's capitalize on it. Who knows, 5 more years after this is passed, constitutional carry? No more frilly laminated pink card! :D I can go run in my block without having to worry about losing my drivers AND carry permit! :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    They forgot to mention that the bill requires the firearm to be "secure," not loaded in the center console.

Thats funny, I didn't see anything saying if it could be loaded or unloaded. In fact I didn't see anything OTHER than you could carry in your car. If you are talking about the last line about being securely encased, that is if you are walking down the street with it in your hands.

Top Bottom