• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I wouldn't have shot the kid. In a situation like that I'd assume the daughter was not telling the truth, since she wasn't already screaming that a stranger was in the house. It doesn't look good for the dad, nor should it.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Multiple lives ruined because of the lies of a teenaged daughter... He shouldn't have shot, but I'm fairly sure he wasn't thinking straight at the time... Rage is a ***** sometimes...

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Tragic. I would like to think that I would have handled it better, but hard to know what you would do when stressed out and fearing the worst.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Too many facts are missing to make the call as to what I would have done. None of us really know what the thought process was going on inside of dads mind.

As for me this is where threat assessment training would hopefully come into play. Whether or not this eventually comes back from the grand jury as no call it will still be up to the prosecutor to decide if charges will be filed. Once the bullet leaves the barrel you can't pull it back.

A real tragedy all the way around, and at least two families lives will never be the same again.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Don't know how I would have reacted, as I wasn't there reading the faces and actions of the teens.
    Three things are certain:
    1) Dead men tell no tales
    2) I'm thinking there is way more to the story than what is written.
    3) Those affected, in both families, are never going to be the same.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    This really needs to be analyzed thru AOJ instead of "feelings."

Was the father or other family members placed in Jeopardy by the actions of this person? The normal persumption at 2:00 in the morning in your own home is yes. Since the unknown person is in your home, at night, the law and the courts allow you to assume that he is there to do you harm. The immediate testimony of the daughter that she did not know this individual reinforces this view.

Did the intruder have Opportunity? Yes, he was within the same room and within striking distance of the father and daughter. From what we know in the story he was not hanging half way out the window, trying to leave.

Did the intruder have the Ability to do harm. The father's testimony that he saw the individual reaching for something gives credence to a legitimate, reasonable fear that the intruder had a weapon on his, giving the totality of the other circumstances.

From merely the news account, AOJ has been met and the father will be no billed and not prosecuted.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This really needs to be analyzed thru AOJ instead of "feelings."

Was the father or other family members placed in Jeopardy by the actions of this person? The normal persumption at 2:00 in the morning in your own home is yes. Since the unknown person is in your home, at night, the law and the courts allow you to assume that he is there to do you harm. The immediate testimony of the daughter that she did not know this individual reinforces this view.

Did the intruder have Opportunity? Yes, he was within the same room and within striking distance of the father and daughter. From what we know in the story he was not hanging half way out the window, trying to leave.

Did the intruder have the Ability to do harm. The father's testimony that he saw the individual reaching for something gives credence to a legitimate, reasonable fear that the intruder had a weapon on his, giving the totality of the other circumstances.

From merely the news account, AOJ has been met and the father will be no billed and not prosecuted.
    He reportedly found his daughter in bed with the teen.
    My guess is he was reaching for his pants.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I wouldn't have shot the kid. In a situation like that I'd assume the daughter was not telling the truth, since she wasn't already screaming that a stranger was in the house. It doesn't look good for the dad, nor should it.

I have a tendency to agree, but I'll leave the door open for things not yet reported.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    A situation like this is easy to second guess by those who have never had to face this type of scenario. The movement of the teen and his demeanor may have warranted a reaction from the father. We may never know. It is safe to say that this situation was tragic and could have been prevented.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Tragic and possibly stupid. I say "possibly" because there just aren't' enough facts here. Seems like most of us jump to the conclusion that the daughter was fooling around with the boy (very possible), but what if he had threatened to rape her and if she screamed, he'd kill her family?
    just way too many unknowns at this point. After the kid got busted, everyone was probably just *trying* to help the situation and just made it worse. The girl lying about knowing the kid, and the father shooting (insert premature shooting joke here) before it was time.
    I'd like to say I'm more level-headed than that, but in those circumstances, who knows?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    A situation like this is easy to second guess by those who have never had to face this type of scenario. The movement of the teen and his demeanor may have warranted a reaction from the father. We may never know. It is safe to say that this situation was tragic and could have been prevented.

ditto^^^

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I will discuss this with my local D.A.D.D. chapter and our legal team and get back to you...

As the father of a 16 year old girl, under advice of counsel, I decline to give any comment on this tragic story.:whistle:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I would like to say that I would have done everything differently. I completely understand what and how this happened. I don't approve it, I just understand it.

The kid was trespassing on several levels, but this is a classic crime of passion. This is why there is the grand jury, to decide if it is in the best interest of the public to prosecute this as a murder. There are property issues, emotional involvement and defense of family issues to be sorted through. The kid unfortunately cannot testify that he was an invited guest or not. The father was probably no threat to society at all, barring this comedy of errors situation.

To me it looks like a second degree murder. There are obviously extenuating circumstances. The girl saying that she didn't know the boy, while being patently ridiculous, could still be the father's defense.

Stupid kids, angry father, territorial imperative, righteous indignation, not to mention the shock finding a stranger in your home in the middle of the night, nothing good could have happened.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    is it to soon to say if the dad gets off free. next time his duaghter has a BF he can have a sit down with him and tell the guy he killed the last BF she had lol!

maybe my humor is just messed up.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    My first impression is that the dad overreacted and should not have shot the boy, especially if the boy was unarmed. But there isn't enough information to make a call.

Top Bottom