• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Borock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Recent scenario (the INGO member's girl friend had or was calling 911)

This morning I read a thread about a perp who drove by someone who had witnessed a break-in. The witness had his firearm in hand by the street when the perp raced by in his truck. The first thought that crossed my mind was-shoot the radiator so he couldn't get far? Following one of the 4 rules of firearm handling, probably no one would be in the line of fire (the truck surrounding the radiator would stop bullets missing the target). The likelihood of hitting the tires of a fast moving vehicle at close range is 1-difficult and 2-potentially dangerous (ricocheting bullets).

Since I personally wouldn't be in serious danger (reason for shooting a person), are there going to be any legal problems for me by shooting the radiator or at least shooting the body so the police could identify the vehicle?

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Whether there would be any legal ramifications, "probably" no one in the line of fire and no one being in current danger is enough for me to say it would be irresponsible to take a shot.

really, to ID the truck? "I fired a round into the truck so you could more easily identify it, officer".

No shoot. No way.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    bunny-eating-popcorn-o.gif

Your threads should be merged as they are the same content with differing titles.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Shooting the truck is about as purposeful as shooting the hostage, isn't it?
    I mean, an Arizona State Police Officer was recently fired for trying to shootout the tires on a van with kids in it... I think we would face legal prosecution if we tried that in IN. Be a good witness and live free for another day.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If you are not in fear of serious bodily injury or death, etc...you may be in legal jeopardy of at least the discharge of a firearm (assuming your jurisdiction has an ordinance/law) and maybe something more serious like some sort of assault or something (our resident lawyers will have to weigh in on this). But otherwise, under the scenario you painted, I'd put my gun back in my holster, try to get license plate and other ID info.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Your probably going to accumulate a few legal issues if you shoot at a vehicle when no immediate threat of serious injury or loss of life is occurring. Also, If im the officer interviewing you, I think a plate number and vehicle description would be much better than "Don't worry officer, I put a bullet in the side of vehicle" for identification purposes.

Top Bottom