• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    I want to order this stuff because I hear it's awesome, but if it really smells bad and leaves the gun smelling bad, I'd prefer not to and will just get some Frog Lube. Frog Lube is just soooo expensive. I basically am trying to choose between these two because they're non-toxic CLPs.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    It doesn't smell as bad as a muzzleloader.
    Actually it doesn't bother me at all and I don't really see what the problem is. I use it for black powder and corrosive ammo so my main concern is whether it does the job, which it does. Smell doesn't even figure into the equation.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Kazaam, where are you located? Big Daddy's in Hagerstown has some on the shelf if you want to smell it.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Smells great & works great. In excessive use situations (fully auto or excessive use) I use CLP or similar but for normal use it's great.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    I think it smells nice. If you think FL is too expensive go to Ace Hardware and get some Super Lube.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Bought some super lube, I want a CLP for cleaning purposes though. :(
    I've used Ballistol and other CLP's. I much prefer to use a separate solvent for cleaning (I like Hoppe's Elite) and another separate product for lubrication. I don't shoot black powder, but I've heard that those boys and girls swear by Ballistol and some like Windex window cleaner.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I like Hoppe's but always use Ballistol. It cleans just as good and is more convenient with the spray bottle. It doesn't smell as good as Hoppe's.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Ballistol is great stuff. You'll find a lot more uses for it than just cleaning and lubing guns, although that's what I first got it for. Now I use on my garage door spring, chain and rollers, lubed an annoying squeak of a dried rubber bushing on the car, lube the fence gate locks and hinges. You name it Ballistol will clean it and lube it. (Well almost everything ;))

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Ballistol is great stuff. You'll find a lot more uses for it than just cleaning and lubing guns, although that's what I first got it for. Now I use on my garage door spring, chain and rollers, lubed an annoying squeak of a dried rubber bushing on the car, lube the fence gate locks and hinges. You name it Ballistol will clean it and lube it. (Well almost everything ;))

Also is great for leather. I put it on my holsters to keep them conditioned well. Ballistol will improve just about anything

Shibby575

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    NE IN
    It even makes bacon taste better!! Just sayin I think maybe Jesus first turned water to wine, then the wine to ballistol.

T/C Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    North of South Bend
    I agree with the posts stating Ballistol works well as a cleaner and rust preventative for guns and a cleaner/preservative for wood and leather. I also agree with the posts saying Ballistol stinks ! IMHO the smell would gag a maggot, knock a buzzard off of a garbage truck, etc, etc. Fortunately, the stench goes away when the liquid portion evaporates. It makes a great patch lube for black powder - just saturate your patch strips in the evil liquid, hang them outside to dry and you end up with reasonably odorless patch strips with a nice waxy residue. I use Ballistol on all of my guns, knives, holsters, sheaths, belts, boots, etc. in spite of the smell.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Ballistol is a great cleaner. It works well on just about everything, smokeless and black powder. I have heard of many uses for the stuff.
    Just get used to the smell of dirty butt. Go ahead, use it as cologne for the next gun show. You will have plenty of room in the aisle.

Top Bottom