• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    had wooden handle ones for years pryer to fiberglass and have split hundreds of cords....

so yes i can remember......

I knew that we could count on somebody taking personally a difference of opinion. You know, I did EVERYTHING I could to indicate I was joking, including insertion of a " :) " in my post, but here we are anyway, with you having stepped forward to lead us to the place of chest-beating.

But if you wish to know, I have split hundreds of cords also, and I have probably the same yellow fiberglass maul you've had so long (so many of the new ones are so terrible that if you've had yours as long as you claim, and as long as we've had ours, they're likely the same deal), but...

...this thread wasn't about mauls, even though several of us have spoken on them.

Cheers, John. I'm done. I'll surely be infracted soon for my candor.

-Nate

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I knew that we could count on somebody taking personally a difference of opinion. You know, I did EVERYTHING I could to indicate I was joking, including insertion of a " :) " in my post, but here we are anyway, with you having stepped forward to lead us to the place of chest-beating.

But if you wish to know, I have split hundreds of cords also, and I have probably the same yellow fiberglass maul you've had so long (so many of the new ones are so terrible that if you've had yours as long as you claim, and as long as we've had ours, they're likely the same deal), but...

...this thread wasn't about mauls, even though several of us have spoken on them.

-Nate

"Reported:..............:whistle:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    It's alright, John. You want to try the 27 Ariens, I'll make it happen.

And if the internet stopped existing tomorrow, I'd be okay.

-Nate

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County

-Nate

nothing personal Nate.......all is good here......oh no chest beating either...:scratch:

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    My huskee 22 ton (made by speeco for tsc) has split every log I have asked it to. Tsc has since relabeled it to a County line brand.

In general, the more tonnage, the slower the cycle time.
    I used a dirty hand tools brand 22 ton and it was noticeably faster than mine. It was cheaper than mine too. I'd also look at those if I were to do it again.

Ebux

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    I've been burning about a rick a week for 12 years now. After 1 season of splitting with Mauls, wedges, sledges and axes i bought a husky splitter. It's a 28 ton with an 8hp IC briggs motor . i have replaced hoses once and rebuilt the carb twice. other than that it has done anything i asked it to.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    nothing personal Nate.......all is good here......oh no chest beating either...:scratch:

Then my apologies, sir, for misunderstanding. I suppose it is possible I should watch less in the political arena of late, and spend more time actually USING the log splitter getting ready for the cold months, hey?

Have a good one.

-Nate

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    My log splitter is 16 years old, about 6' and a buck 40. He eats a lot, but doesn't cost us anything in gas and has not needed any replacement parts yet. Initial investment was pretty cheap, but over the long haul, he's cost me quite a bit in up keep.

Dirty Steve

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    My dad and I both heated with wood for close to 15 years. Always cut wood together and split everything by hand with the "Monster Maul". The maul had a steel handle, talk about vibration. We would put the wood in an old tire and just walk around the tire splitting as you go. It would split just about anything except the pignut hiclory, that took some real work. I finally broke down 2 years ago and bought a 27 ton dirty hands tools splitter from Menards. Worked well so far. I still have the maul, can't part with it. When I picked it up 2 years ago from Dad's he told me "Don't lose that, I might need it." He was 85 years old,

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Big Wood Requires Big Tool

Deadashrounds.jpg

I bought the 35 ton Huskee from Tractor Supply 3 years ago and have never regretted going with the bigger unit. I routinely split 24" to 30" rounds of ash, oak and hickory. I've never encountered a round that I can't split. Even the gnarliest oak rounds will give way without stalling the splitter. You definitely want the vertical capability if you're splitting bigger rounds.

woodpile.jpg

This is my 12' X 20' storage area for wood ready to burn this coming season. I keep all the ash, oak and hickory for my stove and give the rest of the wood away to friends and family for camping and fire pit use. I keep an 12 lb. maul near the splitter but at 68 years old, I prefer the machine.

Top Bottom