• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Good point, my take on this comes from the watching guns in the 100-150 year old range nearly double in selling price. None of those are being bought to use day to day.
    I'm seeing the same thing. I just watched an auction where a refinished (and advertised as refinished) Colt 1849 pocket revolver that was missing parts sold for $900 plus 23% premium. I am utterly dumbfounded by what is going on.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    All this is all driven by old guys with money later in life and buying what they want. This applies to BJ car auction, literally anything recreational. Many of the older guys have pensions, 401k, and SS besides making good money, selling businesses, etc. This is likely the wealthiest older generation there will ever be and they have money burning a hole in their pocket and they can now buy what they could not in their youth.

Using cars as an example; there always be great demand for rare special cars but this $25-50k for some olds or pontiac will end with the old guys that look at them with nostalgia…

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm seeing the same thing. I just watched an auction where a refinished (and advertised as refinished) Colt 1849 pocket revolver that was missing parts sold for $900 plus 23% premium. I am utterly dumbfounded by what is going on.

This is what I see, the 1849 isn't really rare and the price for even broken ones is very high.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Began looking at beginning of June for an AR-15 or M1A. All my numerous Usual Suspects that normally have reasonable prices are "out of stock" on many pistols, revolvers, rifles and shotguns. As a consequence I'm "rolling my own" AR-15 now - starting with a stripped down receiver. Might have started with an 80% lower blank, but that's a legal can of worms now I don't want to mess with. I've done a very wide range of mechanical work over the decades with both enormous and tiny stuff. Aside from a couple specialized tools, and a fixture block to hold the lower and upper, I've got all the common ones including drifts and torque wrenches from 600 lb-feet down to a few lb-inches. I'm confident I can do this. Took considerable research and planning on selecting the right parts that will all play together with minimal fitment. Some excellent tutorial videos on line.

My take on the most recent scarcity and price spike (aside from inflation) was the events in Buffalo and Uvalde spurring Congressional action - the House in particular. People want to get anything that might be banned before it's banned so that it's grandfathered - or at the bottom of a lake following a tragic boating accident. Political events routinely spike firearm and ammunition prices, and generate scarcities.

John

Top Bottom