How did your family or friends react or feel about you owning a firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    My family absolutely hates the fact that I own guns. When my parents and/or brother discover I'm carrying they all roll their eyes and say the same thing as always, "you better know what you're doing with that thing!" At home my wife has a fit every time I open the safe and remove one of my guns. And my son and his wife are no better. Every time a movie or TV show depicts someone being shot they emphasis to their 2 kids, "See, that's what guns do to people!".

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    No problems with ANYONE in my family with firearms. We grew up around them and all learned to shoot at young ages. I can't think of even one single relative of mine that is anti gun.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    A child in my mothers classroom accidently killed himself whilst cleaning a loaded shotgun. she didn't like guns before that, she hates them now. She hates my rifles and my shotguns. my dad is cool with them. But neither of them are keen on handguns, i figure what i can keep concealed doesn't hurt them. my mother did once say that if she ever found more than 2 guns in my room she would have the extras melted down.

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    I actually talked my Ex into carrying. She had her eye out on a pink pearl handled Taurus 85. But things went south with her before she got her LTCH, so I never ended up buying her one.

My parents are freaked about guns. My Dad used to be ok. In fact, he'd taking me hunting and occasionally target shooting. But at some point along the time I was young and grew up, he's become downright phobic. No explanations, and when I ask him, he denies it. Last time he was around one, I was zeroing in a new scope for my grandpa's old Springfield 22 rifle. I had actually hitched a ride with my dad, so he just happened to be my transportation. My Grandpa brought the gun out, and I started putting some lead down range, and my Father seriously almost sprinted to his truck and sped off down the road. This was a few weeks ago, and I haven't heard a word from him since.

Bryanearl

Plinker
    Rating - 57.1%
    4   3   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Rosedale, Indiana
    I actually converted a few family members who had mentioned they do not feel safe around guns but outside of a mere few most people don't seem to say much other than what else I carry and whats in my cabinet at home.

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I've had more trouble from friends than from family. My dad owned a .22 and my mom went shooting back in her college years. I actually helped them purchase a handgun and got dad a shotgun for christmas (even though they live in commie-illinois). My friends here are cool with it (gun nuts themselves for the most part). Friends from college, half and half, a chunk of them are in chicago, so phobic is a bit of an understatement.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I had always had a thing for guns growing up, but the conversation was pretty much untouched until I became of age. When I turned 18 I purchased a shotgun and put it on a nice little gun rack above my bed. It was somewhat questioned by my Mother, when she asked I told her I would prefer that we have atleast one firearm around the house just incase.
    I grew up with only my Mom and sister, and if someone would have came into our home we would have been umprepared to say the least. A few long guns later, when I was about 20 I decided to go ahead a begin progress on my first AR. Mom did some pretty serious questioning about that one, but I just stuck to my guns and let her know that firearms had become a hobby for me and she knows I don't slack off on things I enjoy....:dunno:
    I am now 23 and living on my own, my family had gotten a bit used to seeing me stomp around with the 870 because of bumps in the night.
    My mom and sister moved out aswell, so we have all gone our ways. I have since purchased handguns for "everybody" my Mom is very happy with the walther she recieved for Christmas, my Sister got a bit jealous of it, so of course I got her one in Jan. for the B-day. My girlfreind loves her Sig and I rarely get to touch it other than when I have to clean it. I of course have my share aswell....
    For the girlfreind I think all I did was start watching Law & Order SVU for a while on T.V. and point out things in the news Etc. after a short time I just told her the World is a pretty harry place and she being little, should be able to defend herself. She agreed!
    I keep meaning to get every one out shooting at the same time and get a few pics...
    So... I guess my awnser would be I just kind of worked on them over some time.;)

Last edited:

KEHO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Noblesville
    Great topic... Let's see:

GF: GTG she just got her LTCH in the mail yesterday. So we will be shopping soon for something for her to carry.
    Mom: Has come around to it. She was surprised when she first learned of me carrying and owning guns, but since that was over a decade ago, she is pretty neutral now.
    Dad: Surprisingly neutral for someone that grew up hunting. Don't think he is a handgun guy at all.
    Brother: Also neutral. No issues with me, but doesn't own any himself.

ak keep the second

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've grow up with guns, when I started carrying my mom didnt like it and didnt understand. After explaining how I want to protect myself from all the crazy people out there she started to understand. I took her shooting this weekend and now she wants to get her LTCH, I promised her I would give her my little FIE Titan she liked shooting so much.:yesway::draw:

Virtus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Fishers
    Family doesn't really care that I own firearms, most have been out shooting with me. Wife is the same, likes shooting the 22 & 9 pistols and 410 shotgun, but is still a little scared of shooting the AR.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    I come from a hunting and shooting family so I've been around and owned guns since very early (single digit) childhood. As to friends, those that matter know that I'm an avid gun person and accept it as part of who I am, most are gun people also. The opinion of those that don't matter doesn't matter, who cares what they think.

ccochran3

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Clinton
    That sucks man, good luck. In my experience, most people don't react very negatively to me owning "a" gun, its the amount, in number of guns as well as of time and money, that people seem less than friendly towards.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've already posted online what my wife's Chicago-area relatives think about me having firearms. I've got one brother-in-law who lives in rural Illinois who has firearms, and my step-brother, who lives in NW Indiana, has had a couple firearms dating from his bachelor days in the far South Suburbs of Chicago. (He's got a really nice P-38 from his father-in-law's estate that he keeps more-or-less hidden from his kids.)

My sisters know I've been a (sort of ) LEO and I don't bring up my carry status when I visit them.

My brother is a contractor living and working in Korea. He's had weapons, but, understandably, he says nothing about what he does or doesn't have living over there.

I carry everywhere I think I can get away with it, but the rap for having one on a federal installation means I park my firearm in a hotel room when we make our annual pilgrimage to the PX at Ft. Knox...

Last edited:

dleeharrison

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    I was given my first rifle, Marlin 39 Carbine (which I still have) by my father eons ago. Both parents grew up with handguns and rifles and my father fought in World War II - I continued the tradition spending my time in the Army in Vietnam. My ex-wife grew up with guns and my current wife also grew up with guns. In fact, my wife spent twenty years as a nurse in the army reserve so she had to qualify with the M16, the M1911A1 and the Beretta. No issues at all with weapons - in fact, all my family are staunch weapon advocates.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I was blessed to have a Dad that grew up during the great depression, hunting an guns was always apart of my families lives. Dad would buy an fix up guns to resale to make a little extra money sometimes...an he was a great shot. My sons grew up around guns also...I realized how blessed I was after reading posts here about some of you guys that missed out growing up without shooting. My sons soon to be wife got into shooting with my son an found out she really likes shooting an now owns an carries a Glock.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Grandpa always had guns in the house. Dad got us shooting his 10/22 at about 6 or 7 years old. Mom bought that for him way back. She use to enjoy shooting it too. She took me looking for my first handgun and paid for part of it as a birthday present.

Never really asked how anyone felt. A couple do think I have too many now but only 1 sister in law is against guns. I've never really cared what she has thought so I guess it doesn't really matter too much.

Top Bottom