• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    Getting permission to hunt a new property. A gentleman I worked for as a very young man just bought 200 acres adjacent to where I currently hunt. He will not be living on the property, and I think they will probably farm the land. I don't have very much time to hunt or help. Does anyone think I would be out of line if I just flat out asked to hunt the property?? Any good suggestions would be welcome, but my hunting time is limited, as would be the time I could offer to help him around the place.

troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    In my opinion you never know unless you ask, I dont think it would be out of line to just simply ask. Ive got permission to fish alot of private ponds just by walking up and knocking and politely asking for permission. good luck

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    You have not because you ask not. You have a prior relationship with him, which should make it a bit easier...unless you were a crappy employee. ;)

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    He was fun to work for. I don't think I was a crappy employee. My Dad used to do some hauling work for him/ his equipment dealership too, so that may help also. I want to make 100% sure he bought it before I do, but I think I will just ask. I hadn't seen him in 15 years, saw him today at an auction, and just stopped to shake his hand. He remembered my face, if not my name (he is probably 80.) If nothing else, maybe it will open a different door, because he knows everyone.
    As a side note, I found a small parcel of Clark State Forest land close to where I hunt. It looked to be landlocked on the map, but I am sure there has to be some way to access it. How would someone find out about an easement to that property? It looked completely surrounded on the map, but the State has to have some way to get to it, I would think. Also, if its State property it would be clearly defined if hunting was not allowed, correct??

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    I found a small parcel of Clark State Forest land close to where I hunt. It looked to be landlocked on the map, but I am sure there has to be some way to access it. How would someone find out about an easement to that property? It looked completely surrounded on the map, but the State has to have some way to get to it, I would think.

What county is the property located in (I'm not familiar with Clark State Forest)

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    Just ask. It can't hurt. Worst they can do is say no. I did no face to face asking this year, I sent letters to the landowners, and got permission to hunt three properties.

Of the 8 letters I sent out, I got 3 positive letters giving me permission, 4 negative replies stating either that they already had hunters on the property or that they didn't want to grant permission, and 1 that did not reply.

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    What county is the property located in (I'm not familiar with Clark State Forest)

OK, I looked it up. It's in Clark County.
    Use this website to find the property. Then see if there is an easement (strip
    of land on the tax map that leads to the property). It is possible that there is not one. I found that to be the case on some DNR and HNF property here in Monroe County. If that is the case, then you just need to use the same map to find the owners of adjacent land, and find one that will allow you to transit their property to get to the state land.

Here is the website: eGIS v3.0 - Built on ArcGIS Server 10

If you have any problems finding what you need, PM me and I'll help you out.

Smittygj

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Ask. All he can do is say no. But before he has a chance explain to him his advantage of having someone on his property that he knows and trusts to watch over things for him. It always amazes me that some lans owners say I don't allow anyone to hunt. Unless they are patrolling their property they would be surprised how many people actually tresspass. Give it a shot.....it might work.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I try to get a conversation started if possible.
    A couple of years ago I was scouting Turkey areas around Jessup when I saw a couple of large groups of birds on a farm.
    I stopped and talked to the farmer who wouldn't give me permission. During our conversation he'd mentioned that coyotes had been killing quite a few of his young pigs.
    I told him I was a safe hunter and was good at taking out yotes.
    I got permission to hunt the yotes and after a half dozen the first week he gave me permission to hunt turkeys. I left the dead yotes by his gate to let him know I was doing my job.
    He's a great guy and like anyone else he's concerned about his property and liabilities.
    I've got permission by offering to take deer on over run crop farms, leaving fresh fruit, etc. I've even got permission by helping work on farm equipment when the landowner was working on stuff.
    Just be yourself and hopefully you'll strike up a good relationship with a good landowner.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Always ask and when he asks for help, always TRY to help. If you show that you are willing to make the effort, that will mean something. If you can't, explain why. And My wife is going shopping today and I can't help you out is not a valid excuse more than once. Make plans to help out.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    He was fun to work for. I don't think I was a crappy employee. My Dad used to do some hauling work for him/ his equipment dealership too, so that may help also. I want to make 100% sure he bought it before I do, but I think I will just ask. I hadn't seen him in 15 years, saw him today at an auction, and just stopped to shake his hand. He remembered my face, if not my name (he is probably 80.) If nothing else, maybe it will open a different door, because he knows everyone.
    As a side note, I found a small parcel of Clark State Forest land close to where I hunt. It looked to be landlocked on the map, but I am sure there has to be some way to access it. How would someone find out about an easement to that property? It looked completely surrounded on the map, but the State has to have some way to get to it, I would think. Also, if its State property it would be clearly defined if hunting was not allowed, correct??
    Never know unless you ask..On the DNR easement question..yes in Clark and Washington Co. there are pieces of ground that do not have right of ways for the DNR...They try to get the landowners to sell them one..but the smart ones know better. A relative has property bordering the Forest and he lets the DNR come in and maintain the Knobstone Trail but he will not sell them a right of way.

Top Bottom